Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giveme45)
    Hi guys,
    currently I hold an offer for Warwick for straight Economics.

Warwick is my firm since I have been rejected by both Oxford and LSE due to bad MSA results (the german equivalent of GCSEs, i did not take them seriously back then).

I currently do the International Baccalaureate and I am confident of achieving a score of 44 or even 45 including a 7 in HL Mathematics and HL economics.

I know that Warwick is a great school and has nice reputation but I always wanted to attend a "top" university and I do not feel particularly well with being in a upper second tier one.

I believe that the course in Warwick is probably of equal standard as in Oxbridge and LSE, but I want to get into investment banking, and reputation is very important in this section.
    I also want to do a Master in a top Uni (LSE, Oxford, Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Princeton), and I do not know if Warwick gives me the best opportunities to pursue this dream (even with a First?).

Should I take a year off, then reapply?

Please tell me your opinions and advice!
    For jobs, Oxbridge is definitely helpful but by no means essential. I think employers look at you with tinted glasses if you go to Oxbridge, but there are many factors in gaining employment. Plus in 3 years time, there will probably be more opportunities.

For masters/postgraduate study, Warwick is fine. I go to Warwick, there are many people here that are smarter then me. Even so, I still have postgrad offers for Part III (Cambridge) and a similar course at Oxford.

My suggestion would be to get on with your life. You already seem ambitious/focused, will a gap year benefit your plans?

P.S. I also think your under rating Warwick. It's better then you seem to think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jj193)
    For jobs, Oxbridge is definitely helpful but by no means essential. I think employers look at you with tinted glasses if you go to Oxbridge, but there are many factors in gaining employment. Plus in 3 years time, there will probably be more opportunities.

For masters/postgraduate study, Warwick is fine. I go to Warwick, there are many people here that are smarter then me. Even so, I still have postgrad offers for Part III (Cambridge) and a similar course at Oxford.

My suggestion would be to get on with your life. You already seem ambitious/focused, will a gap year benefit your plans?

P.S. I also think your under rating Warwick. It's better then you seem to think.
    Is this for maths?

ReputationRep:
    You'd be a fool nit to accept Warwick's offer.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick would still put you in a very good stead for job prospects - a target for investment banks and a very reputable university.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick is an amazing uni and if you get good work experience/do some useful extracurriculars etc. you will be in just as good a position as those who go to those unis with a slightly better reputation. Regarding the year off, from someone who chose not to take a year out and reapply to Oxbridge (and saw a few of my friends do so, some of whom were successful and some who were not) I would consider it very carefully. Gap years are amazing but there is a high chance you will regret it/feel slightly "left behind" your peers. I certainly didn't regret going straight to uni, an extra year can feel very long unless you have solid plans in place. Personally, if you like Warwick enough despite its reputation I would go there.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Warwick is my firm since I have been rejected by both Oxford and LSE due to bad MSA results (the german equivalent of GCSEs, i did not take them seriously back then).

I currently do the International Baccalaureate and I am confident of achieving a score of 44 or even 45 including a 7 in HL Mathematics and HL economics.

I know that Warwick is a great school and has nice reputation but I always wanted to attend a "top" university and I do not feel particularly well with being in a upper second tier one.

I believe that the course in Warwick is probably of equal standard as in Oxbridge and LSE, but I want to get into investment banking, and reputation is very important in this section.
    I also want to do a Master in a top Uni (LSE, Oxford, Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Princeton), and I do not know if Warwick gives me the best opportunities to pursue this dream (even with a First?).

My opinion is that if you always wanted to go to (as you say) a 'top' university then perhaps you shouldn't have been a lazy sod back then and worked hard to get into LSE, etc. In all honesty, I'm surprised you got an offer from Warwick as despite your IB score is brilliant, they are also known for stringent GCSE and equivalent rules.

Also if you were slightly clued up about banking, you'd know that Warwick do get a good number of people into investment banking.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Not going to tell you what to do. But if you're in doubt about Warwick's position in employment, consider this.

The UK's top investment banks, law firms and consultancies are focusing on finding graduate recruits at a small handful of elite universities including.

Warwick was the university targeted by the most top employers in 2012-13.

Universities Targeted by the Largest Number of Top Employers in 2012-13
    1. Warwick
    2. Nottingham
    3. Manchester
    4. Cambridge
    5. Bristol
    6. Durham
    7. Oxford
    8. Birmingham
    9. Bath
    10. Leeds
    11. Sheffield
    12. Imperial College London
    13. Loughborough
    14. Edinburgh
    15. London School of Economics
    16. University College London
    17. Southampton
    18. Newcastle
    19. Strathclyde
    20. Exeter
    Source:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...employers.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dpdr)
    Not going to tell you what to do. But if you're in doubt about Warwick's position in employment, consider this.

Source:
    That's quite laughable in my opinion.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by CD315)
    That's quite laughable in my opinion.
    That's nice.

ReputationRep:
    Putting LSE as a top uni and Warwick as upper second tier is ridiculous. The only true top unis as Oxbridge (and not by much, mostly based on prestige), then there is a second tier of unis which are still great, but mostly only for a small range of subjects (LSE, Warwick, Imperial, UCL, Durham, etc.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crunchychips)
    Putting LSE as a top uni and Warwick as upper second tier is ridiculous. The only true top unis as Oxbridge (and not by much, mostly based on prestige), then there is a second tier of unis which are still great, but mostly only for a small range of subjects (LSE, Warwick, Imperial, UCL, Durham, etc.)
    I've seen people suggest that social policy at LSE opens more doors then Law at Warwick. It's hilarious. LSE, UCL, Warwick, Durham, Nottingham all have their special courses, i.e LSE Economics, UCL Law, Warwick Economics/Maths, Nottingham Law. Generally speaking though, they are pretty much comparable. LSE seems to be creamed on TSR, because it doesn't have the doss subjects like Nottingham or UCL hence high UCAS point average and graduate salary.

I would Imperial a notch above them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dpdr)

Source:

I've seen this but I don't know its it's really valid considering the ranking of LSE, UCL, Oxbridge, which seem to be a bit off.. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    All these people here implying that LSE is somehow a top uni while Warwick isn't... :confused:
    Warwick is in the same league as LSE. Maybe for that one course (economics), LSE has a slightly better reputation overseas, but I would not say that it is significant.
    If you want to go into Investment banking, don't worry about going to Warwick even a little bit. It's solidly in one of the target unis; there are loads of banks coming here for talks, presentations, networking meetings, etc.
    Although someone on the street might not have heard of Warwick outside the UK, it has a very good reputation in academia. I'm pretty sure admissions officers at top unis in the USA have heard of Warwick and know how good it is. Once again, not worth retaking over something like that.
    In your wildest dreams.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hi guys,

Did they specifically say that the issue was with your MSA results? It would be silly to resit those in a gap year (now that you have done higher level qualifications), so reapplying next year would not improve your chances of getting in.
    I would firm Warwick (it's a very good uni, don't worry too much about 'prestige'), and then reassess the situation on results day - if you get exceptional results than it may be worth another shot at LSE/ Oxford. If you just manage to meet your Warwick offer/ get lower grades than those required for LSE + Oxford, then go to Warwick. You will have the option to apply for a masters at other unis in a few years time anyway, and Warwick would still put you in a very good position for this. Like other people have said, Warwick is heavily targeted for Investment Banking anyway, so you shouldn't have too much of a problem with job prospects providing you get a first/ even a 2:1.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by LoseSmallWinBig)
    I've seen people suggest that social policy at LSE opens more doors then Law at Warwick. It's hilarious. LSE, UCL, Warwick, Durham, Nottingham all have their special courses, i.e LSE Economics, UCL Law, Warwick Economics/Maths, Nottingham Law. Generally speaking though, they are pretty much comparable. LSE seems to be creamed on TSR, because it doesn't have the doss subjects like Nottingham or UCL hence high UCAS point average and graduate salary.

I would Imperial a notch above them.
    Stop deceiving yourselves.

Prestige-wise, it roughly goes:

=> Oxford and Cambridge
    => LSE and Imperial
    => UCL
    => Edinburgh, KCL, Bristol, Warwick, Durham, St Andrews and Nottingham
    => Manchester, Exeter, Bath, York, Sheffield, Leeds, Glasgow and a few more.

LSE is notches above Warwick. Warwick puts one in a good position for IB recruitment though. That said, it is nowhere as prestigious as LSE. That is as ridiculous as an LSE student saying they are on par prstige-wise with Oxford just because IBs heavily target LSE as much as Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Even if you have decent MSA results, there is a chance that LSE and Cambridge could reject you again.

Specially for Economics; if I were you I'd stick to Warwick. It's quite hard to get in Warwick Economics in the first place plus it has an excellent reputation getting people in IB.

I think last year (2012), it was the most targeted university for banks etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LutherVan)
    Stop deceiving yourselves.

Prestige-wise, it roughly goes:

=> Oxford and Cambridge
    => LSE and Imperial
    => UCL
    => Edinburgh, KCL, Bristol, Warwick, Durham, St Andrews and Nottingham
    => Manchester, Exeter, Bath, York, Sheffield, Leeds, Glasgow and a few more.

LSE is notches above Warwick. Warwick puts one in a good position for IB recruitment though. That said, it is nowhere as prestigious as LSE. That is as ridiculous as an LSE student saying they are on par prstige-wise with Oxford just because IBs heavily target LSE as much as Oxford.
    I don't know where you get your info but Warwick is not on the same level as Nottingham, St Andrews, Edinburgh and KCL for Economics.

Kcl does not even do economics

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've seen this but I don't know its it's really valid considering the ranking of LSE, UCL, Oxbridge, which seem to be a bit off.. What do you think?
    It is pretty much a worthless table for determining prestige. It is useful for determining employability in general, but not prestige.

The fact that TfL, Next, Severn Trent Water and Morrisons visit some universities to recruit for graduate programmes is not a measure of prestige. Prestige (when looking at graduate employment) is about where the elite firms go to employ and what proportion of their intake come from each university. Majority of the firms used in that rating are not prestigious. I can produce figures of employability that shows Robert Gordon University is in the top 5, that does not make Robert Gordon a prestigious uni. I can even get tables that show City University has one of the top 10 average graduate salaries, that does not make the University prestigious.

ReputationRep:
    Surely if your reason for rejection from Oxford and LSE is that your gcse equivalent were poor, it will be the same second time around. Don't know about Oxford but I understand Cambridge applicants don't do well with re-application. Oxford and Cambridge have so many excellent applicants that if there is a choice between students they DO go back and compare their gcse results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnimushaGTA)
    I don't know where you get your info but Warwick is not on the same level as Nottingham, St Andrews, Edinburgh and KCL for Economics.

Kcl does not even do economics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely not for economics. I am talking about reputation in general, that is what the OP is talking about.

KCL does not even offer economics.

I know Warwick is top for economics. Even in that, it is still a notch below Oxbridge and LSE. It would be competing at the level of UCL for that subject.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.