Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you do A-Levels if you didn't do the GCSE equivalent to them? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Definitely. That's why they ask for a minimum grade B for maths and english to do any a-level as they are the general skills to be used in any subject. Don't worry though, as long as you have atleast a B in maths or english at GCSE, you'd be allowed to do a-level psychology... unless they ask for a different subject though. But I'm not entirely sure because I don't do psychology

ReputationRep:
    If I do photography at GCSE can I do art at A level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Use Err Name)
    Some sixth forms might not, i.e. I know a local sixth form who won't let you take Geography without doing it at a-level. But that's pretty rare anyway.
    If I didn't do business studies for GCSE would I be able to do it for A-Level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guidus)
    If I do photography at GCSE can I do art at A level
    It's entirely up to the 6th form you want to go to, so ask them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bronagh_d)
    If I didn't do business studies for GCSE would I be able to do it for A-Level?
    Yes. Lots of people do this. My school doesn't even offer Business (or Economics or Psychology) at GCSE but does all of them at A level.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't take computing for o level but took it for a level?

ReputationRep:
    but i want to be a lawyer and you have to study a lot cuz thats job seems a bit too hard can u still do it in 6th form

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.Cunningham)
    I`m not doing History GCSE right now, but I have asked if it will be possible to take it as an A Level and my History teacher has said YES, but I agree with other previous comments that you should check with the college that you are going too, because (at the end of the day) they will give the most accurate answer

thank you I shall definitely check with the collage I will apply to.

ReputationRep:
    am I allowed to do computing science even if I didn't do it at gcse

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibear)
    There are no exam board rules about what you have to have taken at GCSE before you can take an A level. Individual colleges may set entry requirements but I would be surprised if they required GCSE Computing to do A level Computer Science as GCSE Computing is not that common a GCSE (it was only reintroduced about 5 years ago) and many schools don't offer it. 6th forms may however, to require a certain grade at GCSE Maths as a entry requirement for the A level Computing course..

ReputationRep:
    so if i didnt take gcse history can i still take it at sixth form for a levals? thanks

ReputationRep:
    what about ICT?

ReputationRep:
    I want to know about IT too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staceyyyyyyy)
    what about ICT?
    Some Sixth Forms I've been to have stated that experiance isn't needed as long as you have at least a B in Maths
    But they have also said that using the website [https://www.codecademy.com] helps a lot.
    Even so, You might want to ask someone who has taken the subject already

I AM STILL DOING GCSE'S

ReputationRep:
    I didn't take product design engineering for GCSE but do you think I could take it at A level ?

ReputationRep:
    The person i sit next to in my AS Psychology class got an E in GCSE Psych and they still let her on to the course so I don't think GCSEs are relevant to doing non traditional subjects at A Level

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying level 3 Extended Diploma in health and social care and in my last year! However I have changed my mind and want to study computer science at university. Would it be possible to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brittanna)
    There are some subjects (e.g. french) where you would have to have done it at GCSE to do it at A Level.
    I did A level French without having a GCSE in it, but I wouldn't recommend it as a course of action unless you spend a lot of time in the country with the target language. I enjoyed the challenge.

OP - Psychology is probably quite commonly done at A level without a GCSE foundation. But things like the physical/biological sciences very much build on what went before, and you'd obviously be in a much stronger position had you done triple science.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.