Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a similar problem. I'm not from the UK, though. My parents say it's damn expensive (well, if we calculate all the costs and convert that amount into my country's currency...:rolleyes:) and too far away from home. I'm applying anyway. I want to give it a try. Now I prefer to concentrate on doing my best as far as schoolwork is concerned, I'll worry about money when... eh... if I get an offer.

ReputationRep:
    £7850 living costs seems excessive. Accommodation in Cambridge is not expensive, and if you only ate in Hall and didn't drink/go out you would spend a fraction of that.

ReputationRep:
    I might not be the best example of the Oxbridge person you're hoping to find (I went to a public school, that is to say, one of the 'posh' ones), but I can personally guarantee you it is not full of posh toffs. And even those you might dismiss as such initially aren't necessary that bad!

I just got my offer this year, but have applied three times to Oxbridge (failed twice), and have spent a lot of time in both places. Private school kids are in the considerable minority, and the whole distinction is pretty irrelevant as far as I've seen.

Also worth considering is that I think it's pretty rare for someone not to have a loan. As far as I know, every one of my old school friends has a loan, I had to apply for both the tuition and maintenance loan. In fact, if you really do your homework, you'll see student loans are often a better idea than paying yourself, even if you could afford it (though I know as a Scot you could go to a Scotch Uni for free (?), so maybe things are different for you). Anyway, if you think you'll have to take out any sort of loan during your lifetime (e.g. a Mortgage), it is better to take a student loan. It is by far the kindest sort of loan in terms of interest and repayment plan you will ever take out (including mortgages), and so you can save your life savings for use later on, when you'll be faced with having to take out loans with much higher interest rates.

Good luck with it all!

ReputationRep:
    It's completely up to you!
    But at the end of the day think very carefully if you want to Oxbridge for medicine. I think medicine is quite unique in the fact there is no advantage of going to Oxbridge. I applied to Cambridge for medicine, I had all the grades etc but at the end of the day I realized I didn't even want to go. I went for an interview and can honestly say it was one of the worst experiences of my life, I hated the whole atmosphere there and even though I did get rejected I had decided I didn't want to go irrespective of the outcome. Remember medicine is a high intensity / high pressure course and very prestigious course wherever you go, Oxbridge isn't necessarily the best for medicine. And it has a very different course structure which involves little clinical contact in the first 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Firstly as someone else has pointed out, you'll be paying £9,000 a year in fees wherever you go - so I don't see how this is relevant. Plus Oxford and Cambridge have pretty much second to none funding/bursaries of all Universities - so you'll usually be financially better off going to Oxford or Cambridge as a student than any other University.

Oh, and as a final note - your household income of £60,000 is significantly more than my parents' income.
    I I agree with everything apart from the fees - if he's Scottish he won't have to pay for tuition in Scotland.

OP, I'm another 'normal' person here that isn't an alumni of Cheltenham Ladies' or something. Honestly the stereotype is so outdated. To give you an example:

I grew up on a council estate (inner city, though thankfully moved around the age of 11/12), single parent household, went to an average secondary school, got the grades to go to a grammar school sixth form and now I'm off to Cambridge. My household income is a third of what yours is and I'm just one among many. Several of the people that got into Oxbridge from my year (we had 13 get in from my year in a year of 110, its ridic) came from different, normal schools and just got into the sixth form on merit.

You get 'rahs' everywhere - in fact I know some people that would regard Edinburgh as a posho hot spot. As long as they're posh and sound people, it doesn't really matter. Whats the harm in having a friend like JP from Fresh Meat? I used to be quite biased against privately school people, but as long as they're not pompous and arrogant then I don't mind. They just got sent where their parents sent them at the end of the day.

Cambridge is brilliant. If your parents truly want to look out for you and want you to succeed, then applying to Cambridge is a great way to do that. Ultimately, you have to stand on your own two feet and make them aware that you make your own decisions. Its your future. Regarding the price of living there: £9000 will be paid off so gradually it won't really be a problem, the college fee is automatically paid for by the uni (unless you're international) which leaves you with the general living costs, which wont be significantly above any other university in the country. If you were talking about a London university I'd be more concerned, but from what I've seen Cambridge is a relatively affordable place to live, and the university is always anxious to make sure that financial difficulty isn't a barrier.

Its got to be your choice, man, but if you want to do it you need to stand up to them and stick it to the man!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.