Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonstudent1)
    yes thats right 3 sets of 8 reps and for deadlift 1 set of 5 reps.
    You will be a bit embarrassed when you start, there not much getting around that. I found a good way to get around this was to just listen to my mp3 player, helped me focus, get motivated and block out other people.
    What kind of gym are you planning to go to btw and what kind of equipment do they have?
    why 1 set of deadlifts? go heavy and smash 4 sets,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamEastie)
    why 1 set of deadlifts? go heavy and smash 4 sets,
    It's a really fun but tiring movement. A lot of people would struggle with 4 sets at the same weight.

At least you feel like a baws doing them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    It's a really fun but tiring movement. A lot of people would struggle with 4 sets at the same weight.

At least you feel like a baws doing them.
    yeah obviously not super heavy for 4 sets, just like 80kg, then do one really heavy set of like 4 reps on 110.

ReputationRep:
    yeah obviously not super heavy for 4 sets, just like 80kg, then do one really heavy set of like 4 reps on 110.
    That's what most people will do, work their way up to one final set and go balls to the wall with it. If someone says '1x5' that doesn't include warm up sets, which is essentially what you described mate.

ReputationRep:
    That's what most people will do, work their way up to one final set and go balls to the wall with it. If someone says '1x5' that doesn't include warm up sets, which is essentially what you described mate.
    i wouldnt say 80 is a warm up set, just the one warm up on about 50 is what i do, but yuno whatever floats ya boat. but i dont see the point in doing 1 working set only.

ReputationRep:
    but i dont see the point in doing 1 working set only.
    Like I said, it's a very tiring movement. Great, but tiring. Say you pull 170 for a set of 5 (just as an example) I would have thought a lot of people will struggle to get another set of 5 at that same weight with good form (with a reasonable amount of rest)

My own observation is that when I try and add extra work sets my back starts rounding. Blokes with years of experience suggest one work set, I'm guessing there's a reason for it.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt say 80 is a warm up set, just the one warm up on about 50 is what i do, but yuno whatever floats ya boat. but i dont see the point in doing 1 working set only.
    Like I said, it's a very tiring movement. Great, but tiring. Say you pull 170 for a set of 5 (just as an example) I would have thought a lot of people will struggle to get another set of 5 at that same weight with good form (with a reasonable amount of rest)

My own observation is that when I try and add extra work sets my back starts rounding. Blokes with years of experience suggest one work set, I'm guessing there's a reason for it.
    I've just had my first session and struggle to do 3*8 of 5kg bicep curls I was struggling by sixth rep . This left me with little confidence and didn't go onto machines or other lifts such as squat and bench

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by printergirl)
    I've just had my first session and struggle to do 3*8 of 5kg bicep curls I was struggling by sixth rep . This left me with little confidence and didn't go onto machines or other lifts such as squat and bench

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I started squatting the bar, benching the bar and pressing the bar. In fact I'm barely above pressing the bar right now! You shouldn't get discouraged by not lifting a lot, it's not a competition. The only person you are in competition with is yourself.

p.s as a general tip, people normally do compound movements before isolations e.g squat and bench before curl. Just a general tip that most people follow but I don't know what your routine is.

p.p.s nobody cares what you curl.

ReputationRep:
    ^As a beginner female its quite conceivable that even just the bar (20kg) would be too much to press to begin with as females tend to have pretty poor upper body strength. Might need to use a pair of lighter dumbbells to begin with.

Oh and as said above, no one cares what you curl lol. In fact no one really cares what you lift for anything...so just get in there and do it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In One Ear)
    ^As a beginner female its quite conceivable that even just the bar (20kg) would be too much to press to begin with as females tend to have pretty poor upper body strength. Might need to use a pair of lighter dumbbells to begin with.

Oh and as said above, no one cares what you curl lol. In fact no one really cares what you lift for anything...so just get in there and do it!
    I'm a guy:sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I started squatting the bar, benching the bar and pressing the bar. In fact I'm barely above pressing the bar right now! You shouldn't get discouraged by not lifting a lot, it's not a competition. The only person you are in competition with is yourself.

p.s as a general tip, people normally do compound movements before isolations e.g squat and bench before curl. Just a general tip that most people follow but I don't know what your routine is.

p.p.s nobody cares what you curl.
    Just going for strength/size
    I thought curls first so it'd be easier to do stuff like bench?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    deadlifts and squats are good for constipation lol no joke, tried and tested

ReputationRep:
    (I'm a guy first of all )
    I've decided to Starr going to the gym, im 18 an aveeage 5ft 6 weigh 55kg, looking to get big( edit I mean toned not big)for a lads holiday in June to maga
    I'm very skinny and have never done any physical activity and cannot even bicep curl 10kg
    Will going 3 tines a week for 4/5 months be noticeable and will I make large gains?
    Can someone recommend a workout for me, I want to work upper body, get toned and bigger as I'm very skinny atm
    Thanks for any replies! :yes:
    Would I have to have a diet?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    You dont really need a diet if you want to get buff, its only if you want abs really, pre/post workout carbs & protein are good though
    Also you'd be surprised what results you can get curling 10kg, in different ways i'm 18, 5'5 and 9.5 stone pm me if you want me to share routine diet or anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lay-Z)
    You dont really need a diet if you want to get buff, its only if you want abs really, pre/post workout carbs & protein are good though
    Also you'd be surprised what results you can get curling 10kg, in different ways i'm 18, 5'5 and 9.5 stone
    Read my last post , I struggle on five

And I'm a guy btw

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm a guy:sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ehh, you should really change your username and/or display the gender icon lol.

Well we all have to start from somewhere don't we! You certainly won't get any stronger by not doing the exercises...

ReputationRep:
    I thought curls first so it'd be easier to do stuff like bench?
    :confused:
    please explain your train of thought on this

ReputationRep:
    55kg, better get bulking son.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    :confused:
    please explain your train of thought on this
    I can see where she/he's coming from. If you bench on the same day as arm day, you're not going to curl as heavy let alone reach your PR. Some people like to make arm day an isolation exercise and get their bench day on chest/tricep day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2ndClass)
    I can see where she/he's coming from. If you bench on the same day as arm day, you're not going to curl as heavy let alone reach your PR. Some people like to make arm day an isolation exercise and get their bench day on chest/tricep day.
    Curl PRs? Lol
    Why would you gear a workout toward a curl PR?

Only a lazy fool needs an arm day. Arms are such a minor muscle set that they're easy to fit in, even superset, on a normal day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Curl PRs? Lol
    Why would you gear a workout toward a curl PR?

Only a lazy fool needs an arm day. Arms are such a minor muscle set that they're easy to fit in, even superset, on a normal day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Meh, I don't know, progressive resistance maybe. You can't stay on the same weight indefinitely. Besides some people have high volume workouts and it probably wouldn't be very efficient to superset it with other exercises.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.