Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why should society accept straight people? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson)
    Actually, not that long ago, in some societies, being left-handed was bad, and these people were forced to learn to write with their weaker hand. Society accepts straight people because most of society is straight and sex between men and women is the only type that can lead to offspring, therefore it's obvious that any human society, no matter how basic or uneducated, would accept straight people.
    Any common sense society will accept straight people.

To begin with, being heterosexual is accepted as fairly "normal" as the majority of people in society will fall into this category anyway.

Secondly from a business/governmental point of view, it is easy to accept, because straight people generally procreate - procreation means (over time) more people in society, which (generally) in the long run will mean more workers, which will also mean more consumers of things, which will also mean more taxes.

So everyone's a winner baby.

ReputationRep:
    OP clearly doesn't like free thinking individuals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Interactiveapple)
    People have also killed and being racist throughout history, were they born with that? It is not clearly just born with as there is no conclusive evidence for that, sexuality is a mixture of genetics and environment.
    Well it clearly is instinctive given that however billion people have been born since year dot, heterosexual mating is not some learned behaviour.

Killing and racism are two behaviours that most certainly are caused by the environment they're shaped by, hence why countless amounts of murderers have been brought up in broken homes or been abused etc.

Ok so how to I interact with life to be gay?
    I would argue that every person is a product of their surroundings, the actions they take and situations they come across in live would turn them homosexual and this could be anything imo, from your family members to seeing dale winton in a magazine, who knows

ReputationRep:
    Nice one, OP. The original thread "nounified" the sexuality in question. So really, it should be Straight people rather than straight people. But everything else is fine.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ept+gay+people

ReputationRep:
    Heterosexuality is the birth norm and the only possible factor contributing to homosexuality/bisexuality is a desire to be different or if we stretch reason some societal factors from going up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    Well it clearly is instinctive given that however billion people have been born since year dot, heterosexual mating is not some learned behaviour.
    Repeating yourself won't help you. My response if the same hetreosexuality isn't clearly born with as there is no conclusive evidence it is 100% predisposed genetics. If it was born with why do gay and bisexual people exist in nature?

I would argue that every person is a product of their surroundings,
    Accept straight people who are born that way.

the actions they take and situations they come across in live would turn them homosexual and this could be anything imo, from your family members to seeing dale winton in a magazine, who knows
    Obviously not you as I'm still waiting to know how I can be gay. So you were basically talking utter rubbish and have no idea how to defend it? Yep.

One more chance: Ok so how to I interact with life to be gay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmThatcher)
    Heterosexuality is the birth norm and the only possible factor contributing to homosexuality/bisexuality is a desire to be different or if we stretch reason some societal factors from going up.
    Yet genetics has been linked, so try again.

ReputationRep:
    If society didn't accept straight people we wouldn't be here. It's a paradoxical way of thinking.

ReputationRep:
    They are not freaks of nature

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson)
    Most people are straight, so it is the accepted sexuality in society. I don't see how you can properly compare incest and homosexuality.

Also, this forum is different from those you mentioned, because most people have the common sense not to believe the idiotic OP in homophobic or misogynistic threads.
    Most people are female (I believe the swing is roughly that way, if different since last time I checked it works the other way, there aren't equal numbers), should we not accept males?
    I'm not trying to make this argument at all, just pointing out that it doesn't work. What is most common is not what is or should be most accepted.

Also, if you look at the Kinsey scale definition of sexual orientation which says its a continuum, no one point on the continuum has more people than all of the other points combined (i.e. not a lot of people are 100% straight (or gay), my uncle thinks Johnny Depp is attractive and Stephen Fry has admitted to being attracted to one or two women) then none of them are the most common.

ReputationRep:
    Yet genetics has been linked, so try again.
    The genetic connection for homosexuality and bisexuality is so weak it isn't worth considering, a bit like the whole tolerance debate. It's a really mall section leaping out to make us all conform to it's message.

ReputationRep:
    Repeating yourself won't help you. My response if the same hetreosexuality isn't clearly born with as there is no conclusive evidence it is 100% predisposed genetics. If it was born with why do gay and bisexual people exist in nature?

Accept straight people who are born that way.

Obviously not you as I'm still waiting to know how I can be gay. So you were basically talking utter rubbish and have no idea how to defend it? Yep.

One more chance: Ok so how to I interact with life to be gay?
    I feel I have to repeat my self when you keep asking questions that require the same response.

In my opinion:

Heterosexual = instinctive.

Homosexual - learned / not instinctive.

You seem to be responding aggressively? I don't how you've interacted with life as I don't know in the slightest who you are. I'm just suggesting that it is a learned behaviour given the evidence that what? 90% maybe? Maybe more of the worlds population is heterosexual and throughout the ages, even in the ages before intelligence man instinctively mated heterosexually.

That's just the logical answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    I feel I have to repeat my self when you keep asking questions that require the same response.

In my opinion:

But accepted science and research contradicts your opinion.

Do you have some sort of insecurities about being homosexual? you seem to be responding aggressively.
    Oh so since you can't back up your claims you're now trying to make things about me? Lol I'm aggressive because I don't pander to idiocy. Given that I'm not a homosexual you will need to come up with something better.

Do you have some sort of insecurities about being heterosexual Given you are so sure of you're opinion that it is learned perhaps you've learnt it.

I don't how you've interacted with life as I don't know in the slightest who you are.
    You said:
    it is the environment (i.e how you interact with life) that decides whether you're straight or gay.

So TELL ME how I can interact with life so I can be gay. Why is it so hard?

I'm just suggesting that it is a learned behaviour given the evidence that what? 90% maybe? Maybe more of the worlds population is heterosexual and throughout the ages, even in the ages before intelligence man instinctively mated heterosexually.

That's just the logical answer.
    It is about as logical as assuming people learnt to be left handed given they aren't the majority. Homosexuality existed throughout history and within many species.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kousar)
    If society didn't accept straight people we wouldn't be here. It's a paradoxical way of thinking.
    But now we have science that you don't need straight people to reproduce. So you need another argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    OP clearly doesn't like free thinking individuals.
    What is free thinking about using bigotry to troll, there is nothing more sheepish.

ReputationRep:
    What is free thinking about using bigotry to troll, there is nothing more sheepish.
    So everyone who is a 'bigot' must be a troll?

First of all, define bigot. Secondly, even if this does fit the general criteria of bigotry so what? They're still entitled to their opinion, branding them a 'troll' is just a cheap way to avoid engaging with them and a rather arrogant way of assuming you know better. Then again, you're very good at assuming, as evident from all your other ridiculous threads. A bigot could at least back up their views, you seem to fail to be able to do so. Frankly, I think you can't stand anyone who disagrees with you so you simply brand them a 'bigot' or 'troll' to avoid engagement.

ReputationRep:
    I saw a man kiss a woman in the street! Right on her face! Ewwww!

ReputationRep:
    First of all, I am not making this thread to attack anyone; It's just a thought that I'd like to share. A thought that propagates the notion of ostracizing groups in society, but of course no attack.

Why should Society accept Straight people when there is absolutely no scientific evidence that proves people are born Straight?

If you're someone that still wants to argue that people are born attracted to the opposite sex, despite there being no conclusive scientific evidence then, do you have a problem with people practicing incest? After all, people who practice incest also claim that they are biologically attracted to each other and they aren't doing anything unnatural.

Is there not a double standard here?

Maybe this is why incest is currently Legal in:

Portugal,Russia,Netherlands,Indi a,China,Turkey,Ivory Coast and just recently made illegal in France

What are your thoughts on this?

I'd also like to ask at this point what makes this alleged "student" forum any different from stormfront or the westboro bapist church at this point? It's just troll/hate thread about feminism/women after troll/hate thread about homosexuals, it is boring and sad.

I found love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    In my opinion:

Depending on how you define instinctive, such behaviors do not have to be one's you are born with. While it is (most likely) true that homosexuality is something that develops, that does not mean it is not instinctive for the person in question.

You said:
    it is the environment (i.e how you interact with life) that decides whether you're straight or gay.

So TELL ME how I can interact with life so I can be gay. Why is it so hard?
    You are asking them to answer a question which they never claimed to know the answer to. For example, you can know that genetics plays a role in the development of someone's sexuality, without having to know the specific genes involved. The same applies to environmental factors.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need straight people to reproduce thanks to science Try again.
    No you dont but the gay or unstraight couple would still need a donor to reproduce. Two gay couples cant reproduce on their own ,:cool: unless its incest but then the offspring might have deformaties depending on how closely related their parents were. Anyways its upp to everyone to choose how they want to live life and deal with the consequenses . What are you going to gain by attacking peopels lifestyles is it really going to change anything?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.