Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will EU students have to pay international fees if the UK leaves the EU? Watch

• Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anna_G)
    Hi, I'm also starting my course this year and I'm pretty worried.

I believe that the UK will not leave the EU immediately after the referendum, but how long can it take? Didn't Cameron say to leave before the end of 2017?
    I'm really getting anxious now, because if the UK does leave the EU, the student finance for EU students may be cut off completely, which would mean I won't be able to continue my studies as I cannot pay the tuition fees myself. I just hope I won't be affected as a student who started their course before the UK leaving the EU.
    Nothing to worry about for you. As written above, even if they left there would be transitional arrangements for students in the system already and id expect you to be allowed to complete your studies on the same level of funding they have now.

Any negotiations would take 2-3 years i.e 2019/2020 at the earliest. Nobody knows exactly, but they wouldnt change until they had a replacement. That might mean bilateral agreements with other countries, even if they did leave. Nothing to worry about for you imo.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what will blond dumdum want to do. In case of tariff war everybody will be hurt. However, the economical crisis is inevitable in case of brexit, scotexit and so on. Simply it can be that SLC will be illiquid or even go bust. And everything will be really expensive. Inflation will soar, on tah cheap pound won't help cos production makes up 9 % of UK GDP only. I would worry because the vault will be emptier than it's now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucychix)
    It depends on what will blond dumdum want to do. In case of tariff war everybody will be hurt. However, the economical crisis is inevitable in case of brexit, scotexit and so on. Simply it can be that SLC will be illiquid or even go bust. And everything will be really expensive. Inflation will soar, on tah cheap pound won't help cos production makes up 9 % of UK GDP only. I would worry because the vault will be emptier than it's now.
    Yeah, but it's still at least 2 more years until the UK leaves, so the government has quite some time to negotiate...
    I just believe that as for students, those who started their studies before the leave will not be affected by any changes in tuition fees or their student loans repayment system.

Maybe you just don't leave? Although the recent polls suggest otherwise...

ReputationRep:
    Over 75 % odds UK will stay. Even in case of so called exit, there will be economical crunch and next real referendum at beginning next year. As a last resort England will have norway-like status.

ReputationRep:
    75%? Really? So I see we get completely different statistics here outside the UK...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.