The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Philosophy and Ethics 6th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by studentgrace
I did the January paper and the question was attributes of God and couldn't have been interpreted as miracles! so miracles is likely i'd say

I think it was perhaps more Attributes of God (I didn't actually do that question) but this is from the examiners report and they do mention miracles..

"Most candidates dealt with issues of evil, with good use of arguments, and there were
some very valuable discussions of the distinction between an eternal and an everlasting
God. Some candidates were able to make good use of their understanding of the views of
Boethius in this area. There were some interesting arguments about the incarnation,
miracles and prayer
. Some candidates considered wider issues, including God’s
relationship to human experience and temporality. A few wrote pre-prepared essays on
omniscience or omnipotence, which did not address the question set."

I have a friend who got an A after writing a miracles essay so I suppose it just depends on how you interpret the question. If you can make your answer relevant, which a miracles answer could have been to that particular question, I don't think they can penalise you for it. But yes, I do agree, miracles could be likely to come up. It seems to me like they are beginning to run out of straight to the point questions and are instead setting ones which require more interpretation and perhaps cover more than one topic.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by LauraD_95
I think it was perhaps more Attributes of God (I didn't actually do that question) but this is from the examiners report and they do mention miracles..

"Most candidates dealt with issues of evil, with good use of arguments, and there were
some very valuable discussions of the distinction between an eternal and an everlasting
God. Some candidates were able to make good use of their understanding of the views of
Boethius in this area. There were some interesting arguments about the incarnation,
miracles and prayer
. Some candidates considered wider issues, including God’s
relationship to human experience and temporality. A few wrote pre-prepared essays on
omniscience or omnipotence, which did not address the question set."

I have a friend who got an A after writing a miracles essay so I suppose it just depends on how you interpret the question. If you can make your answer relevant, which a miracles answer could have been to that particular question, I don't think they can penalise you for it. But yes, I do agree, miracles could be likely to come up. It seems to me like they are beginning to run out of straight to the point questions and are instead setting ones which require more interpretation and perhaps cover more than one topic.

I didn't do the question myself either, I did life after death and religious experience, you? :smile: Yeah well I guess so, interesting can either be good or bad and your friend obviously did it well. I wouldn't do it personally because do you not think it seems like you're just adapting the question to a topic you're perhaps more comfortable with? But I guess r.e can be quite lenient in the respect that many topics to cross-reference with each other.

I know in January I predicted a miracle question regarding whether we can use miracles in modern day or trust them?.. I'm not entirely sure, seems like forever since i've done philosophy!
Reply 22
Original post by studentgrace
I didn't do the question myself either, I did life after death and religious experience, you? :smile: Yeah well I guess so, interesting can either be good or bad and your friend obviously did it well. I wouldn't do it personally because do you not think it seems like you're just adapting the question to a topic you're perhaps more comfortable with? But I guess r.e can be quite lenient in the respect that many topics to cross-reference with each other.

I know in January I predicted a miracle question regarding whether we can use miracles in modern day or trust them?.. I'm not entirely sure, seems like forever since i've done philosophy!

Yes, I did the same ones as you! I was so happy that William James came up as I happened to have just done an essay almost identical to the one in the exam. I completely agree, it's so hard doing essay based subjects as the examiners can't help but be a little subjective I suppose..

I know, I'm so relieved that I'm not doing both philosophy and ethics at the same time! Are you doing ethics on Thursady or are you doing one of the other papers?
Original post by LauraD_95
Yes, I did the same ones as you! I was so happy that William James came up as I happened to have just done an essay almost identical to the one in the exam. I completely agree, it's so hard doing essay based subjects as the examiners can't help but be a little subjective I suppose..

I know, I'm so relieved that I'm not doing both philosophy and ethics at the same time! Are you doing ethics on Thursady or are you doing one of the other papers?

I think I was more pleased with life after death as I did find it a more interesting topic but I still liked the William James was, a little disappointed that it was not more open but I got a very good mark so i'm not going to complain!

Me too, it would be very hectic! I've got ethics thursday yes, have you? I don't feel ready for it at all, philosophy I felt a lot more prepared for!
Anyone else think verification will come
Up!? Never been a question on it!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
How did people find this by the way?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending