Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Don't rat on her, just don't talk to her again anymore. The girl I mentioned, said her gran died during exams so she walked out of exam crying randomly, odd how to get the 1st then but I reckon she used 1 of many methods of cheating when walking out... I didn't think it was cool, as my grandpa passed away during exams and when we thought he's about to pass when critically ill, uni doesn't bend rules as it isn't school, no matter what just get through it. I only thought this girl was immoral as she claims to be sooo religious and goodie two shoes. The thing is, never know what the person is going through, this person is ugly and I felt sorry when all of the guys *****ed behind her back re her lack of looks then used her for help cheating. I'm under more pressure to do well as my sister went to a worldwide leading uni, compared to me being in crap ex-poli, which is a different situation to this girl but maybe she has even more parental pressure than me although i doubt it, her past grades before uni sucked badly:confused:. What comes around goes around, maybe your friend will do well but never find any paid work. I was quite frankly shocked that this girl can never find any work after cheating but think it maybe due to the looks

(Original post by Rock Fan)
    Personally think it is pretty bad to lie about something like this, trouble is it may catch her out in the end
    I think she might have managed to get herself caught out since I posted this. Obviously she didn't have any proof her grandmother died (in my case, I was asked to scan a copy of the service for my cousin as proof) so they revoked her extension and her essays will be penalised because they're long overdue.

In reality, I wouldn't tell them and was just very irritated when I posted this. As for "ruining her life", well, the results she's had in the past will do that for her. I would understand if she was going through a hard time, but she's the first person to boast about extensions on her Facebook, say things like "Well, I told the uni my gran was ill, so they just assumed she's dying" - there is nothing wrong with her and she is not unwell. She does the same thing to get time off her part-time job too. I just think she needs to realise she has to do the work and stop using every excuse in the book. I haven't spoken about her attitude in general, but she's not that much of a nice person anymore for numerous reasons and I've cut down the time I spend with her by a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Im quite surprised at the replies saying youre a bad friend for potentially 'ruining' her life... but everyone is entitled to an opinion of course. I think lying about death is pretty disgusting.. I had a friend who lied about her aunt having cancer. I just dont understand the thought process people go through to do these things. I think its more fear, because without the lie something bad will happen or something they dont want to happen, and they will go to any desperate length to prevent it, and in your friends case it is passing her degree. Personally I dont think you should say anything, apart from to her, I think youre best telling her that you understand she's maybe freaked out about her work and came out with this lie as a last resort/defense mechanism, but that you dont agree with it morally. Its her choice what she does, you can judge her for it or have a different opinion of her due to it, but at the end of the day I would leave the choice with her (ie does she continue the lie or admit it and yeah possibly fail but yknow..) because youll probably find afterwards she might feel really guilty about it and itll change her as a person (hopefully for the better) as she'll look back and regret it. She'll have to learn from it but personally this sort of behaviour would make me think differently about a friend.

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who also made up some ridiculous lies to get extensions, and got them with no proof needed. I had a genuine reason that I COULD have had an extension around that time, but I chose not to because I didn't want to feel as though I hadn't done anything at the same time as everyone else.. I would have felt as though I didn't deserve my degree as much- if that makes any sense. Of course there are times that you would NEED an extension, and I'd never judge anyone for taking that option, however I think it's disgusting that some people can make up lies about things like a family death.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully her gran won't turn up to watch her graduate....

ReputationRep:
    I can see why the temptation is so strong to tell the uni, sounds like she isn't taking her degree anyway so a poor result will be her punishment in that respect. If it was me i would confront her and tell her that you think her behaviour was disgusting. Then you can start cutting her out if you feel that way.

ReputationRep:
    Just find a more sensitive Friend, let her get caught naturally

ReputationRep:
    My university would've asked for a copy of the death certificate or something.

Having said that, mind your own business. Everyone lies.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the point in ratting on her, but definitely have a word with her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My friend has had numerous essays and her dissertation due this semester. She hasn't handed anything in on time and got extensions for everything because she told her lecturers that her grandmother died. She got told to hand the work in "when she's ready".

Her grandmother didn't die. I phoned her sister (we're good friends) to tell her I was sorry to hear of her loss. Her response? "What? No, she's not dead! Did you get me mixed up with someone else?"...so that was awkward. I asked my friend why she lied about her gran dying and she said it was because she "just hasn't had the time" to meet her deadlines.

A cousin I am very close to passed away just before my friend came up with this lie. I'm really hurt that she'd lie about her gran dying, but also because it seems to insensitive. She couldn't be arsed to do the work and always has a raft of excuses. I'm getting annoyed with her and I want to email her lecturers or something to tell them she's a liar. What can I do? I'm considering majorly cutting down on the time we spend together because I'm finding out she's just not a nice person.
    One word, karma. She'll get caught out or something eventually

ReputationRep:
    She might have told lies but that's not a reason to grass her up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    She might have told lies but that's not a reason to grass her up.
    Pretty sure thats a great reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    Pretty sure thats a great reason.
    Well we'll have to agree to disagree then.

Friends don't grass one another up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm getting annoyed with her and I want to email her lecturers or something to tell them she's a liar. What can I do? I'm considering majorly cutting down on the time we spend together because I'm finding out she's just not a nice person.
    Fair enough, she's done a wrong'un. But she hasn't lied to you personally, so best drop it. Seriously, nothing good ever comes out of getting involved in other people's business.

What will you gain from grassing? Nothing.
    What will you lose? A friend.

No brainer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Well we'll have to agree to disagree then.

Friends don't grass one another up.
    Friends don't lie about their grandparents dying for an extension on an essay either.

ReputationRep:
    Friends don't lie about their grandparents dying for an extension on an essay either.
    It's not like she lied to her, was it? She lied to the university people. Some of my friends have lied, but I don't dislike them for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michaelj)
    It's not like she lied to her, was it? She lied to the university people. Some of my friends have lied, but I don't dislike them for it.
    Well i misread the OP then. I just want to point out i already said she shouldnt dob her mate in.

ReputationRep:
    Yet apparently this one does...

ReputationRep:
    Well i misread the OP then. I just want to point out i already said she shouldnt dob her mate in.

Make your mind up...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.