Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Common practice these days is for businesses to try to sack their workers before the year's probationary period is up so they don't have to give a reason. This impacts mostly on the young and is the same reason we get ****ty one-year contracts which mean we can never get a mortgage or any kind of stability. What is frightening is that the government in this country is champing at the bit to abolish the minimum wage, increase probationary periods, remove us from civilised European agreements on workers' rights, and replace real jobs with workfare so they can pay a £53 or £68 minimum wage per week rather than £200.

If you are young and do not have any concrete career prospects, I advise you to learn a language, go and work in Europe, and give the UK the labour market drain it deserves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    i'd take the money and still take him to the tribunal and pretend he didn't give me it. A- there's no way he could prove it and B- im sure he'd lose his job if he made it public knowledge he'd paid her off so he's hardly going to admit to it.

I thought so too! I told her to but she didn't want to in the end, she's got a better job now though so I'm happy if she's happy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    I wonder what would happen to the manager if she did bring him to the tribunal.

Probably had to pay a very big fine for not paying tax on some for some of his employees

ReputationRep:
    A girl i worked with in primarkfrom the home section fell asleep in a load of cushions she was meant to be restocking, supervisor caught her and told the manager who sacked her. Was well funny!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielaandrea)
    she's got a better job now though so I'm happy if she's happy!
    And that is all that matters :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Common practice these days is for businesses to try to sack their workers before the year's probationary period is up so they don't have to give a reason. This impacts mostly on the young and is the same reason we get ****ty one-year contracts which mean we can never get a mortgage or any kind of stability. What is frightening is that the government in this country is champing at the bit to abolish the minimum wage, increase probationary periods, remove us from civilised European agreements on workers' rights, and replace real jobs with workfare so they can pay a £53 or £68 minimum wage per week rather than £200.

If you are young and do not have any concrete career prospects, I advise you to learn a language, go and work in Europe, and give the UK the labour market drain it deserves.
    Very true, my plan is to wait until Croatia join the EU in July so I can finally use my passport to get a job abroad - somewhere where they dont have restrictions straight away though as quite a few countries will. (No I do not want a British passport even though I am eligible, as it would cost £1000)

Still though would love to go work abroad for 6-12 months, learn a new language, meet new people etc, should be fun.

ReputationRep:
    My mum was a carer that did home visits. She cared for an old man who fought in the war and had needed an assistant since his wife died as he had both legs amputated, one at the knee and one higher up. He used to work with German shepherds and absolutely loved them; my mum got sacked for misconduct for taking her German shepherd to meet him, with his families permission and in her own time. Both my mum and the man were devistated, and he left the care company and had my mum work for him privately until he passed in 2009. She took the dog with her every day and was not sorry about losing her job. Se still works in care.

TL;DR: mum got sacked for taking a dog round to her client's house for him to meet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clioashlee)
    My mum was a carer that did home visits. She cared for an old man who fought in the war and had needed an assistant since his wife died as he had both legs amputated, one at the knee and one higher up. He used to work with German shepherds and absolutely loved them; my mum got sacked for misconduct for taking her German shepherd to meet him, with his families permission and in her own time. Both my mum and the man were devistated, and he left the care company and had my mum work for him privately until he passed in 2009. She took the dog with her every day and was not sorry about losing her job. Se still works in care.

TL;DR: mum got sacked for taking a dog round to her client's house for him to meet.

:console:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.