Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do guys think of girls who swear? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Real turn off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    Out of curiosity, do any of you guys who think swearing is unfeminine swear yourselves? Not getting critical, just wondering.
    I try to reduce it, but now and again it happens. Its mainly out of stuff like pain. I'm ok if a female swears from pain, but not repeatedly as if it was every time I met her.

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend is the most offensive person I know!

English is her second language though, so she has a habit of translating Portuguese swearing directly into English, which kind of makes the insults sound even worse than normal!

They say it's a bad/wrong stereotype that Latinas have quite firey personalities. But to be honest I can see first hand why the stereotype exists!

I mean, she isn't racist, homophobic, anything like this. She just comes up with creative ways in which to insult people that piss her off. Not the generic f***, s***, etc. It's quite funny hearing the wide range of insults she has built up in her repertoire :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I doubt I'd even take any notice of it, unless it stood out in her friendship group.

If your friends are posh little ***** and you've got a rude mouth on you then that's kind of humorous.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, if I switched it to good old Shakespearean insults, what about that? Because they are truly stunning, they really are. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I don't swear myself and wouldn't want to be with a girl who freely did.

ReputationRep:
    Don't care. What is so wrong with swearing, if you're not doing it in an inappropriate place there's no problem.

ReputationRep:
    There's different types of women. There's ones that swear when drunk, that swear when laughing. My ex refused to swear at all. It might've had an influence on me, she was always such a sweet girl. I think she swore online through text but not by voice ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    Never actually had a guys perspective on what they think of girls who swear, it's a bad habit of mine admittedly, my friend and I were going to give it up for Lent, it didn't last. So I thought I'd ask you men of TSR, what are your views on girls who swear?
    Mm, to be honest, I'm not a fan.
    I mean, the odd expletive can be adorable, but, ah, well.

ReputationRep:
    as long as its not a constant tirade and ever other word (which i dont like in either sex) i frankly dont really care

ReputationRep:
    Hate it

ReputationRep:
    It's not a problem as long as it's not excessive, but that goes for everyone, not just girls. Can't stand girls that call people "mate" though ugh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Interesting one. I don't swear very often. However, if I do, its usually when I'm really angry/upset over something major that's happened. Ideally, its best to do it when you're with people who won't judge you for that. With a girl, I would sort of expect the same - if she swore when something happened to really upset her or tick her off, then that's fine with me. However, if its numerous expletives every day for no apparent reason, then that's a definite turn off.

Also, it depends on the swear words she uses; for me, the "c" word is a definite no go zone and that goes for everyone. I think the "f" word is pretty common amongst most people, and when used in the right context, it can actually come across sort of funny! Actually, come to think of it, swear words used in comical situations actually lighten the mood a bit, again it has to be occasional, not a routine thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domg1994)
    It's not a problem as long as it's not excessive, but that goes for everyone, not just girls. Can't stand girls that call people "mate" though ugh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What about guys calling girls "mate" because I do that a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superduper9)
    What about guys calling girls "mate" because I do that a lot!
    Aha, I think it's just the word "mate" in all honesty; probably nothing to do with girls at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I really dislike it when a girl swears... Even guys constantly swearing, but with girls I find it quite off putting, almost unnatural.

Spitting though

ReputationRep:
    If something bad has just happened to them (i.e burnt fingers on the saucepan :awesome:) its fine and understandable. But when it's swearing in every sentence for no good reason, then they just sound dense and very unlikeable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domg1994)
    Aha, I think it's just the word "mate" in all honesty; probably nothing to do with girls at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mate, I totally get what you're saying

ReputationRep:
    I dont know why girls can swear..

what are we supposed to say instead when we are in a crappy situation?

ReputationRep:
    How does "bloody hell" sit with you all? I am guilty of a lot of verbal diarrhoea when it comes to that phrase.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.