Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will trainee teachers in 2014/15 get a better deal than those in 2013/14? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I actually agree with the OP that first degree from certain universities are more indicative of hard work than from others. I've learned this first hand by attending two separate universities and seeing the IMMENSE difference in the amount of work you have to do in order to achieve any given grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    I actually agree with the OP that first degree from certain universities are more indicative of hard work than from others. I've learned this first hand by attending two separate universities and seeing the IMMENSE difference in the amount of work you have to do in order to achieve any given grade.
    I don't think anyone would dispute this. It's universally acknowledged that our university system is flawed because every university sets their own exams.

However, the OP's attitude is what people are objecting to.

Going to a top university doesn't make you better than everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    At a recent Teach First event I was told that they regonise the differences between 2:1s and 1st is not the same for all universities. They highlighted that at Oxford a high proportion of (I think) maths students are awarded a 1st and they try to assess if a 1st in maths from Oxford is equal to say a 2:1 from LSE when taking people on. So the argument goes beyond just russell groups and ex-polis.

ReputationRep:
    Funny how there are suddenly no more replies from the OP...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.