Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Guys: do you find girly girls attractive? watch

(Original post by JoEdBo)
    You obviously misinterpreted what I said, my post was directed to the first reply in the thread, not your reply.
    Still don't care though. I realised I asked for people's opinion but I didn't exactly post a list of characteristics like "continually criticise other girls' appearance and ***** about them" so I think it's a tad rude to call me "insufferable" based upon what I've posted (I deliberately picked out all my most "feminine" traits otherwise I wouldn't have much of a thread). And even ruder (pretty much insufferable in fact) to say that that sums up a stranger on the Internet whom you barely know perfectly. You really seem to dislike me based on about five sentences lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm just curious. I understand it's hard to define but do you mind if girls are really feminine? I'm currently single though I haven't had much of a problem finding a boyfriend before, but some guys I've dated (usually the more intellectual ones) have mentioned/hinted that they aren't so keen on someone girly for various reasons. I'm not particularly *****y or a drama queen but they seem to assume I'll be like that.

I'm pretty hard-working, well-read and love playing sports, but being feminine is who I am (my parents brought me up to be a tomboy and I kind of rebelled against that). Having said that, I'm not sure if my personality is putting off a lot of nice guys so is there anything unattractive about the below personality traits? I'm-

• very into fashion, slightly vain though don't wear make-up except on nights out. I'm "high-maintenance" in the sense that I put a lot of effort into my appearance but I'm not the type to tell a guy off for messing up my hair or something
    • into popular music and culture and tend to watch tv shows such as Gossip Girl
    • able to stand up for myself directly but often come across as quite emotional (e.g. I was watching one of my guy friends play rugby the other day, he got tackled and looked injured and I screamed and clapped my hand over my mouth)
    • not a big fan of chasing after guys and prefer to just be friends with them and let them express interest if they want, though I don't play games
    • very petite and usually wear dresses and skirts
    • friends with both guys and girls but (without sounding sexist) prefer to hang out with my female friends (and those who are equally girly) because we share interests like clothes/make-up etc.
    • more interested in talking about stuff like celebrity gossip and what's happening in my friend groups than stuff that's strictly academic, though I can hold my own in an academic conversation too (I'm president of the Model UN society)
    • get annoyed when girls say they get on better with guys "because there is less drama" - how can you be a girl and not respect your own gender?
    • play a lot of sports but most are stereotypically girly ones like dance and cheerleading (they offer it at my uni)
    • very active on FB etc. and am the sort of person who takes a lot of photos with my friends of us pouting and stuff and makes comments like "you look great babes x". I can speak with perfectly good grammar, though - I feel it's just part of the fun of being a girl

Thank you
    I am a girl, but I thought I would still comment on your post...
    Being a girly girl is fine, and so is being a tomboy... so asking if being a girly girl is attractive, some people will say yes, others aren't a fan! But as long as your happy who cares?
    The things that I think people find attractive is a sassy, good sense of humour, laid back and highly spirited character.
    Oh and one more thing, I don't think the whole pouting in the mirrors is attractive at all. A lot of girls (and I am not saying all!) are so obessed with finding a mirror and grabbing a camara, just to post it all over social network sites. It just makes you look as if you fancy yourself, and have nothing better to do than look and admire yourself at your reflection!
    My opinion, but who cares

ReputationRep:
    Let me guess, do you have a white iphone?

And love making sure facebook know you went to a party over the weekend? And try so hard to make sure all your photos are potential cover photo/profile pictures?

Jeez...

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure if feminine is really the right word. I think a woman can be nothing like you in terms of interests and still be quite feminine.

You sound exactly like the type I wouldn't go for though. Gossip girl? Lots of makeup? Facebook pouting? You sound like a nightmare

ReputationRep:
    'I was watching one of my guy friends play rugby the other day, he got tackled and looked injured and I screamed and clapped my hand over my mouth',
    and

'and am the sort of person who takes a lot of photos with my friends of us pouting and stuff and makes comments like "you look great babes x".'

Name:  ahh.gif
Views: 184
Size:  296.5 KB

Other than that I really do not mind 'girly girls' though any high pitch squealing and the above quotes would probably lead to a break up.

ReputationRep:
    Not a chap but I'm attracted to women too. You sound really irritating OP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    From just the title I would've said yes.

But then I read your post and you sound pretty insufferable tbh
    This sums the thread up quite well.

Dance and cheerleading are also not sports.

ReputationRep:
    Still don't care though. I realised I asked for people's opinion but I didn't exactly post a list of characteristics like "continually criticise other girls' appearance and ***** about them" so I think it's a tad rude to call me "insufferable" based upon what I've posted (I deliberately picked out all my most "feminine" traits otherwise I wouldn't have much of a thread). And even ruder (pretty much insufferable in fact) to say that that sums up a stranger on the Internet whom you barely know perfectly. You really seem to dislike me based on about five sentences lol.
    Would you care if I told you how amazing you are?

Would you care if I told you how amazing you are?
    I'm not going to apologise for sticking up for myself because you were brave enough to insult me from behind the safety of your computer screen. Having said that, I've got better things to do than engage into a silly flame war :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm just curious. I understand it's hard to define but do you mind if girls are really feminine? I'm currently single though I haven't had much of a problem finding a boyfriend before, but some guys I've dated (usually the more intellectual ones) have mentioned/hinted that they aren't so keen on someone girly for various reasons. I'm not particularly *****y or a drama queen but they seem to assume I'll be like that.

I'm pretty hard-working, well-read and love playing sports, but being feminine is who I am (my parents brought me up to be a tomboy and I kind of rebelled against that). Having said that, I'm not sure if my personality is putting off a lot of nice guys so is there anything unattractive about the below personality traits? I'm-

• very into fashion, slightly vain though don't wear make-up except on nights out. I'm "high-maintenance" in the sense that I put a lot of effort into my appearance but I'm not the type to tell a guy off for messing up my hair or something
    • able to stand up for myself directly but often come across as quite emotional (e.g. I was watching one of my guy friends play rugby the other day, he got tackled and looked injured and I screamed and clapped my hand over my mouth)
    • not a big fan of chasing after guys and prefer to just be friends with them and let them express interest if they want, though I don't play games
    • friends with both guys and girls but (without sounding sexist) prefer to hang out with my female friends (and those who are equally girly) because we share interests like clothes/make-up etc.
    • more interested in talking about stuff like celebrity gossip and what's happening in my friend groups than stuff that's strictly academic, though I can hold my own in an academic conversation too (I'm president of the Model UN society)
    • get annoyed when girls say they get on better with guys "because there is less drama" - how can you be a girl and not respect your own gender?
    • play a lot of sports but most are stereotypically girly ones like dance and cheerleading (they offer it at my uni)
    • very active on FB etc. and am the sort of person who takes a lot of photos with my friends of us pouting and stuff and makes comments like "you look great babes x". I can speak with perfectly good grammar, though - I feel it's just part of the fun of being a girl

Thank you
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    From just the title I would've said yes.

But then I read your post and you sound pretty insufferable tbh
    Pretty much exactly what this guy said, no offence. Not all that surprised that "intellectual" guys are the ones saying this, really. Nothing wrong with you, but to be completely honest you sound a bit like a sheep. In the sense that it appears your personality is distinctly average if this is a correct portrayal. The ones highlighted are the ones that I'm talking about in particular. Although the bit about the model UN society is pretty interesting.

It's just that I'm surrounded by people like this everyday and yeah I guess I get along with people like that, I doubt I'd be intersted in them. Of course, that's just me...

(Original post by Bulbasaur)
    Pretty much exactly what this guy said, no offence. Not all that surprised that "intellectual" guys are the ones saying this, really. Nothing wrong with you, but to be completely honest you sound a bit like a sheep. In the sense that it appears your personality is distinctly average if this is a correct portrayal. The ones highlighted are the ones that I'm talking about in particular. Although the bit about the model UN society is pretty interesting.

It's just that I'm surrounded by people like this everyday and yeah I guess I get along with people like that, I doubt I'd be intersted in them. Of course, that's just me...
    Hmm interesting, thanks. Just to clarify, obviously that isn't all there is to me. I do a very rigorous subject and I have other interests besides stereotypically feminine things. It's just that I find those things most enjoyable.

-I don't see how being into fashion is a bad thing. When I said slightly vain I meant I make an effort with my appearance, I don't constantly fuss about what I'm going to wear though. I'd have thought this was a good thing for most guys :dontknow:

-What's wrong with popular music and culture?

-Don't see what's wrong with not chasing guys either. It's not that I think they're not worth chasing, if anything this is something I'm really shy about

-Everyone has shared interests. I talk about different interests with different people, obviously - when I'm with my friends from Model UN we discuss nothing but history/politics/economics etc. I spend a lot of time studying (and my course requires a lot of reading) so I prefer not to be too academic outside of that, it just feels nicer to have some balance

-Loads of people here seems to have taken umbrage with that so just to clarify I don't exactly do whole albums of me and my friends' different facial expressions lol (though I do know people like that) I do write in a very girly manner on FB, though, with lots of x's and stuff - at least when talking to my closest female friends

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to apologise for sticking up for myself because you were brave enough to insult me from behind the safety of your computer screen. Having said that, I've got better things to do than engage into a silly flame war :rolleyes:
    I simply stated that you dont care because you dont agree with me, how is that an insult? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I don't see your point, many other people have pointed out that they agree with the first reply yet your reaction is completely different.

ReputationRep:

Thank you
    how is that even girly ?

I don't see your point, many other people have pointed out that they agree with the first reply yet your reaction is completely different.
    Er, two others is hardly "many". I didn't bother responding to the first and the second worded it entirely differently and actually made a point rather than just essentially saying "I think some vague insult sums you up personally." With all due respect I'm not going to take this argument any further unless you have more to add than that.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I prefer manly girls. Huge biceps, broad shoulders and maybe some facial hair.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm interesting, thanks. Just to clarify, obviously that isn't all there is to me. I do a very rigorous subject and I have other interests besides stereotypically feminine things. It's just that I find those things most enjoyable.

-I don't see how being into fashion is a bad thing. When I said slightly vain I meant I make an effort with my appearance, I don't constantly fuss about what I'm going to wear though. I'd have thought this was a good thing for most guys :dontknow:

-What's wrong with popular music and culture?

-Don't see what's wrong with not chasing guys either. It's not that I think they're not worth chasing, if anything this is something I'm really shy about

-Everyone has shared interests. I talk about different interests with different people, obviously - when I'm with my friends from Model UN we discuss nothing but history/politics/economics etc. I spend a lot of time studying (and my course requires a lot of reading) so I prefer not to be too academic outside of that, it just feels nicer to have some balance

-Loads of people here seems to have taken umbrage with that so just to clarify I don't exactly do whole albums of me and my friends' different facial expressions lol (though I do know people like that) I do write in a very girly manner on FB, though, with lots of x's and stuff - at least when talking to my closest female friends
    Yeah I understand.

To me personally the very word fashion has negative connotations, it just seems really superficial and tacky. And it's just not anything I'd associate myself with. And with the vain bit, well I guess the way you phrased it made it come across worse than it is.

Pointing more towards music on that one really. That's just personal taste. As a musician I hate most of music you'd hear on the radio nowadays... the industry imho is awful right now.

I guess everyone is shy to some extent, but again it's just stereotypical - "I'll wait for the guy to do it" which is slightly off-putting. In reality it's usually gonna be that way though so I guess it doesn't really reflect that badly - nothing wrong with it, but it's certainly not a positive.

That's fair enough. I'm not saying you should be more academic or whatever (I doubt I'm much more academic than you), it's literally just the whole celebrity gossip thing. Personally I couldn't give a ****, I don't get the point. But again that's personal taste.

The main problem people will have with that is that it kind of reminds me of an immature 14 year old girl. Obviously that's not the case but it just seems unnecessary, especially with the x's. Again just off-putting. The reasons why it is really aren't important because they aren't going to change anything.

You don't have a bad personality or anything, it's just that some guys (especially those on TSR) might not be interested in someone like that. But that's gonna be the case whatever your personality is, really...

ReputationRep:
    Am I strange for not talking about clothes and makeup with my friends ? We all just do our own stuff and wear our own things. I think that's quite an extremity of being a girly girl. There's three girls in my college that are like that always talking about clothes and looking on clothes websites in our lessons and they are literally like clones of each other. I refuse to wear my black leather jacket because I'd look like the 4th clone!

ReputationRep:
    As a girl, I found some of the answers to this a little startling Screaming when seeing your friend getting injured is attention seeking? what?

ReputationRep:
    Why is everyone highlighting the fact that she watches Gossip Girl. What's wrong with Gossip Girl?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2013
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.