Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So you see a crisp £20 on the floor... Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Management Consultant. I don't bend down for anything under a 50...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    I'm a Management Consultant. I don't bend down for anything under a 50...

I can't see handing it in would help anyway. What would they do? "This is a customer announcement, can whoever dropped £20 please come to customer services, thank you." You'd suddenly get the whole store coming to you saying you lost a £20 note.

Of course if it was a wallet or something I'd either call any number I could find on it, or find a police station and hand it in there.

ReputationRep:
    If I found it, I'd pick it up and give to to charity. Unless, I saw the person who dropped it then I'd give it back to them.

ReputationRep:
    I found £10 near the queue by the tills in Boots fairly recently. Handed it in 'cause if I'd taken it, I'd have felt guilty for a long time. Not mine to keep when found in that environment where it clearly belonged to someone nearby. It would be the same if I found a £20.

However, if I found some money that was quite clearly never going to be claimed back (in the middle of a field, for example, unlikely but you never know), I'd probably take it.

ReputationRep:
    i would take it and run off

ReputationRep:
    I'd hand it in if I couldn't see who had dropped it, some stores have a policy where if it goes unclaimed for a certain amount of time you can go back in and claim it for yourself. I'd rather be honest about it but if it was in the street it'd be a bit different though because it's a public area, it's not like there are any police officers walking about where I live.

ReputationRep:
    The law of theft dictates that if you reasonably cannot expect to track down the legal owner of some property e.g. finding a £20 note in the street, then if you pick it up and take it you won't be acting dishonestly.

Theft Act 1968 s.2(c)

2.— “Dishonestly”.
    (1) A person's appropriation of property belonging to another is not to be regarded as dishonest—
    (a) if he appropriates the property in the belief that he has in law the right to deprive the other of it, on behalf of himself or of a third person; or
    (b) if he appropriates the property in the belief that he would have the other's consent if the other knew of the appropriation and the circumstances of it; or
    (c) (except where the property came to him as trustee or personal representative) if he appropriates the property in the belief that the person to whom the property belongs cannot be discovered by taking reasonable steps.
    (2) A person's appropriation of property belonging to another may be dishonest notwithstanding that he is willing to pay for the property.

ReputationRep:
    It's $20 I doubt they'd be putting you on prime time tv for liberating it... None the less it would be mine, wouldn't want to see it go to waste now?

ReputationRep:
    I once opened up a purse in Oxfam to see if the compartments were big enough, and i found two crisp, (real) £10 pound notes. I was like :eek:
    I have to say my first thought was "keep it, you found it, finders keepers". But then i thought about how guilty i would feel, especially as the money was found in a CHARITY shop. So i handed it in. I still think it was the best decision. But i do sometimes wonder whether i would have handed the money in, if i had bought the purse before seeing that there were two £10 pounds notes in it....probably not!

ReputationRep:
    I found a little money wallet on a train station platform containing around 35 euros and kept it. Reason being I was having a quick smoke on the platform and the train was to depart any minute. The wallet had some far eastern language on it and there was no id, just cash and some receipts. I thought the tourist wouldn't bother to report it lost and may well be heading on to another city. Plus I wouldn't trust the lost/stolen staff. I gave 10 euros of it to a homeless guy outside Koln cathedral.

ReputationRep:
    This happened to me the other day in John Lewis. I picked up the ten pound note, looked around to see who it could of belonged to, nobody was around it so I put it in my pocket If I would of handed it in the shop assistant would of kept it and I couldn't see an owner. I put it towards a very pretty dress :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I would keep it if I hadn't seen who dropped it. I would probably wait for 5 or ten mins for someone to come in for it, before walking off.

ReputationRep:
    If we randomly found it come on we'd all pick it up

ReputationRep:
    I'd ne suspicious if it was crisp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by >Untitled<)
    If we randomly found it come on we'd all pick it up
    Eamon Holmes wouldn't

ReputationRep:
    If it's in a wallet, you hand it in
    If you see someone drop it, you give it back
    If you find it on the ground, MINE MINE MINE.

ReputationRep:
    I would probably take it and give £10 to charity.

ReputationRep:
    If I saw someone drop it I couldn't keep it because I'd feel guilty (as I now how much I wouldn't want to lose £20 myself) but if I didn't know who had lost it I would probably keep it for a while, and then end up giving it to charity because I really do have issues with guilt.

ReputationRep:
    I'd take it and run and burn the evidence.

(If I saw someone drop it, then I would hand it to them).

ReputationRep:
    unless I actually saw someone drop it, finders keepers.
    if that makes me a bad person, I don't care. I think it just makes me a slightly-less-broke person.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.