The Student Room Group

Graduated with a 2.1 from King's College London. No job

Scroll to see replies

Original post by im so academic
What do you mean "much to my surprise"? No wonder you don't have a job.

Graduate medicine is harder to get into than "normal" undergraduate medicine at the age of 17/18.

He has quite a good degree I know loads of people with worse degrees who have got in.
Reply 21
Original post by Guy Secretan
He has quite a good degree I know loads of people with worse degrees who have got in.

Satisfying the academic requirements is just part of what is required for GEM or indeed undergraduate medicine.

That means nothing as to get into GEM, it's not just about your degree classification.
Original post by oz40
Was a student mentor, played in the football team, senior member of the biomed society (where I arranged revision sessions and taught others during exam times), captain of a 5 a side footy team, organised a few charities (e.g. Syria, Horn of Africa, Children with leukemia). Also undertook a bookkeeping role during my studies for a dairy company. And I have spent a lot of time tutoring others.

Commercial awareness is 'easy' to prepare for, especially if you spend a few hours reading the Financial Times, Accountancy Age and BBC News.

Nevermind the graduate schemes - finding a normal job seems to be extremely difficult. I have a generic cover letter which encompasses what I have done during university and the skills that I have obtained from these roles. I use this as a template for every job that I apply to.

Or am I looking in the wrong places? Is applying solely through the internet a bad idea? Or should I go to the firms and hand my CV in person?

I'm not trying to be a 'debbie downer' or someone who is looking for sympathy. However, I'm simply left puzzled as to what I have to do.

I'm not sure, but PwC should've given you feedback with regards to the telephone interview. Something isn't right here. I don't think you interview very well because if you answered questions properly, you should, at the very least, have got to the AC for PwC.
That means nothing as to get into GEM, it's not just about your degree classification.

Well what else is it about?
Reply 25

Graduate medicine is harder to get into than "normal" undergraduate medicine at the age of 17/18.

I didn't expect GEM to be walk in a park.

However, I had a decent interview for the A100 at Barts. Plus I have tons of work experience and extra cirruc.
Original post by oz40
I have tons of work experience and extra cirruc.

So does everyone else though...that's the problem.

So....I'm confused...do you want to be a banker or medic? You seem to be applying for both? :confused:
Well what else is it about?

Bristol can answer that for you:

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/medical-school/prospective/application/entrycriteria/
Reply 28
Original post by oz40

I think internships would be valuable in terms of gaining experience, although some firms only accept those in penultimate year of study. I graduated in Oct 2012 so that completely rules me out there.

I would not be ruling this option at all. In fact this should be your priority. If you have no commericial experiance these days you can't expect to get a permanent job straight after graduation.
Original post by oz40
While I have been doing temp work, I haven't got any formal job. I have a degree in Biomedical Science and irrespective of where I apply, I get rejection after rejection after rejection after rejection after rejection. I've lost track of the types of jobs that I have applied to. I've got no idea what to do.

Worst of all, my dreams and hopes of entering entering medical school have also been shattered after four rejections.

mate I feel for you, the economy right now is so ****. But trust me, your time will come and when it does, it will be ****ing awesome. You just gone need some patience tho.
Reply 30
Original post by Makebelieve15
I'm not sure, but PwC should've given you feedback with regards to the telephone interview. Something isn't right here. I don't think you interview very well because if you answered questions properly, you should, at the very least, have got to the AC for PwC.

I made some mistakes in the PWC interview - there were a few questions which threw me that I found difficult to answer. The EY one was a strengths based interview. This was harder to predict. The list of Qs that I downloaded from WikiJob were entirely irrelevant. I was asked a lot of 'new' questions. So my prep wasn't really adequate.

But I think I must be generally bad at interviews. I do get somewhat nervous too. Barts interview? Rejection. King's interview? Rejection. These grad schemes? Rejection. Blah.
Reply 31
Original post by Pandabär
So does everyone else though...that's the problem.

So....I'm confused...do you want to be a banker or medic? You seem to be applying for both? :confused:

A medic.

But we can only apply to four medical schools per year (which takes the piss really. £60-80 for UKCAT, £15 for UCAS payment. For the past 3 UCAS cycles, I've pissed away money). We can apply to an unlimited number of graduate schemes.

I went to this university different universities consider different things many don't look at alevels. Also maybe it is more competitive than I first thought I was just surprised that he didn't get any offers.
Original post by oz40
I made some mistakes in the PWC interview - there were a few questions which threw me that I found difficult to answer. The EY one was a strengths based interview. This was harder to predict. The list of Qs that I downloaded from WikiJob were entirely irrelevant. I was asked a lot of 'new' questions. So my prep wasn't really adequate.

But I think I must be generally bad at interviews. I do get somewhat nervous too. Barts interview? Rejection. King's interview? Rejection. These grad schemes? Rejection. Blah.

Here is the weakness that lies in you. Sort it out. Seriously, if it is your interview style that's letting you down, you need to get better at it, otherwise you're going to be unemployed for some time. This is the truth.

When did you get rejected by PwC? You can reapply every 3 months. But do not do the ACA if your heart is not in it. You will fail, be sacked, be left very embarrassed and will be in the same position when the papers get harder (about 1 year into your contract).

Well spotted :smile:
I went to this university different universities consider different things many don't look at alevels. Also maybe it is more competitive than I first thought I was just surprised that he didn't get any offers.

OK, name them. :smile:

It is more competitive than you first think. I'm not surprised at all that he didn't get any offers.
Reply 36
so you re saying that for example, a european student with no A levels cannot get into a UK medical school? I know its harder to get a job without A levels but still u've been at school already u got a degree... reminds me of some unis that they ask for proof of english language...and i've done the degree in the uk... duh!!

also i think its harder to get into vet medicine...

if it makes u feel better though, i am unemployed as well with a degree in Biology... and yeah i ve done things at uni...got elected in some positions etc. I mean i do have extra-curic... I think its the general situation in the world... Medicine is nice but if i was younger maybe i would apply as well...but i m 24 now... so i am applying for Msc instead... :smile: hehe
Original post by Makebelieve15
Here is the weakness that lies in you. Sort it out. Seriously, if it is your interview style that's letting you down, you need to get better at it, otherwise you're going to be unemployed for some time. This is the truth.

When did you get rejected by PwC? You can reapply every 3 months. But do not do the ACA if your heart is not in it. You will fail, be sacked, be left very embarrassed and will be in the same position when the papers get harder (about 1 year into your contract).

Wow. Ever heard of constructive criticism. I think its a bit harsh to assume theres somethingwrong with the OP. As companies always say in their rejection letters they get a LOT of applications for how many places there are. You keep saying there must have been something wrong with him to not make it to A/C how about the fact he made it to interview at all,? that clearly shows he's doing something better than a lot of other applicants. I'm not syaing the OP is perfect and I'm sure he could benefit from some advice but I think your tone is unecessarily aggressive and derogatory.

As for applying for medicine and finance, I did that too this year. I imagine like me as a graduate you've devoted a lot of years towards trying for medicine already, and while i gave my med application my all ucas was over by october and I had free time, it would have been silly and arrogant of me not to consider back up options.

I don't really have any advice since I didn't even make it past the first stage of my finance appications, I just wanted to chip in and wish you good luck really. I hope something crops up soon.
Original post by *...smiling away....*
Wow. Ever heard of constructive criticism. I think its a bit harsh to assume theres somethingwrong with the OP. As companies always say in their rejection letters they get a LOT of applications for how many places there are. You keep saying there must have been something wrong with him to not make it to A/C how about the fact he made it to interview at all,? that clearly shows he's doing something better than a lot of other applicants. I'm not syaing the OP is perfect and I'm sure he could benefit from some advice but I think your tone is unecessarily aggressive and derogatory.

As for applying for medicine and finance, I did that too this year. I imagine like me as a graduate you've devoted a lot of years towards trying for medicine already, and while i gave my med application my all ucas was over by october and I had free time, it would have been silly and arrogant of me not to consider back up options.

I don't really have any advice since I didn't even make it past the first stage of my finance appications, I just wanted to chip in and wish you good luck really. I hope something crops up soon.

Well no, I've spoken to recruiters at the big4 and several audit trainees. They say it isn't that difficult to get it due to the nature of the profession (your first years are tough, repetitive and often boring). So to make the initial telephone interview is not hard. Submit and application form, pass numerical and verbal reasoning tests and you're there.

Students who can't get there haven't practiced enough for reasoning tests or are simply thick, went to a crap uni and don't meet UCAS Tariff criteria/or have/be on course for a 2.1
Lol kings doesn't automatically get you a degree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending