Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    One because I've usually had to get up at an hour I consider utterly unreasonable (any time before 7) ... Slept all the way from Dundee to London once. :lol: Woke up and discovered my mum had knitted an entire scarf while I'd been asleep.
    Haha! Really cute

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hostile*****)
    I'm Swedish and I'm in the same situation! Except I'm 18 so there's some hope for me from September in the UK.
    Well with a name like 'hostile *****' I bid you good luck with that

ReputationRep:
    Aw aint you guys nice thanks for the reassurance and tips.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Join the club Although I'm still in my first year but I won't have a boyfriend before second year, my home is 10 hours away from uni, and nobody wants that. Plus I don't fancy anyone so I don't mind so much right now. Yeah, it's like everywhere is a potential place to meet your future boyfriend/girlfriend. Um, no it's not. :lol: I'm not going to meet him in a supermarket or something, it's just not going to happen randomly. But then going out and looking for it doesn't work for me either so I am going to settle down with a cat and a packet of Werther's originals quite happily on my own. That what friends and pets are for. Except in that scenario you don't have to share your bed with anyone *sprawls out over a double bed*
    Can happen! I know people who met in lectures and got together and even a couple who met when he bumped into her (literally) in the library whilst they were both pulling all nighters!

ReputationRep:
    I feel your pain. I'm nearly 22 and I'm forever alone. I have had "relationships" in the past but not of the conventional variety (LDR or VERY brief) but it's very hard to meet women in this town because the scene is so incestuous and everyone has been with everyone and I find that a bit uncomfortable...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    Can happen! I know people who met in lectures and got together and even a couple who met when he bumped into her (literally) in the library whilst they were both pulling all nighters!
    You kidding? I am currently suffering the after effects of an all-nighter. Clearly should've done it in the library. My hair's curled and everything, I got so bored. :lol: What an opportunity missed. Not that there's anyone on campus right now anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Knowing several people in this situation, the main reason they end up there is that (despite what they think) they really do not try to get with people or foster romantic relationships.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You kidding? I am currently suffering the after effects of an all-nighter. Clearly should've done it in the library. My hair's curled and everything, I got so bored. :lol: What an opportunity missed. Not that there's anyone on campus right now anyway.
    No. It was just before Xmas of 2nd year in deadline week. He bumped into her as he wasn't looking where he was going in a rush, then realised she was sat on the same PC carousel thing as him, passed her a note in a moment of 'study/lack of sleep induced delirium' asking if she wanted to go to the libs cafe for a break, she said yes, swapped numbers etc. now still together (I'm in 4th year, they've graduated).

I've heard of another couple who got together after he posted in our 'Spotted at the Library' fb group last year saying how she kept distracting him from work and she worked out who he was went over and asked him if he wanted to go to the cafe.

I think the key here may be to have an immediate date location on site

ReputationRep:
    I wish I was only a second year- postgrad here, and still never had a boyfriend. Ever.

It bothers me sometimes but I just tell me that one day my time will come.... hopefully!

Its not so much the social/ peer pressure to be seen to have a boyfriend that irritates me, but more the social interaction. I just want someone I can sit under a blanket and watch a film with other than my girlfriends from uni.

I'm not really friends with any guys- I tend not to mix with the ones off my course (which is really really small anyone) as most of them are kinda weird tbh. I was friends with a few guys at uni- one of whom I had a ridiclious crush on for about 3 years- he is now gong out with one of my closest friends from undergrad.

I imagine it will be harder to meet someone once I leave uni. Right now I'm surrounded by people of my own age who share my interests etc etc. When again is that really going to happen? Never, most likely. But then again, people obviously meet people without even having gone to uni or much later in life, so the chances are so will I and everyone else who thinks 'when is it my turn?'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    No. It was just before Xmas of 2nd year in deadline week. He bumped into her as he wasn't looking where he was going in a rush, then realised she was sat on the same PC carousel thing as him, passed her a note in a moment of 'study/lack of sleep induced delirium' asking if she wanted to go to the libs cafe for a break, she said yes, swapped numbers etc. now still together (I'm in 4th year, they've graduated).

I've heard of another couple who got together after he posted in our 'Spotted at the Library' fb group last year saying how she kept distracting him from work and she worked out who he was went over and asked him if he wanted to go to the cafe.

I think the key here may be to have an immediate date location on site
    Ahhh, good ole' David Wilson, or as I used to know him, Big Dave. I did my undergrad at Leicester. Maybe the fact that I always pulled my all nighters was my downfall in never meeting anyone there!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z.Raymond)
    You'll find me anywhere, out, cafes, libraries etc haha
    What is it with people these days and cafes :boring:

lul like your 50 years old

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muckoz)
    What is it with people these days and cafes :boring:

lul like your 50 years old

Lol, sometimes I'm meeting a friend for a coffee/catchup when I'm home from uni, but these days, revising in Starbucks works for me ...I do have a life!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by QI Elf)
    Ahhh, good ole' David Wilson, or as I used to know him, Big Dave. I did my undergrad at Leicester. Maybe the fact that I always pulled my all nighters was my downfall in never meeting anyone there!!
    He is known as 'the Dave' in our house, though at the moment I am begrudging his very significant presence in my life quite a bit

ReputationRep:
    This is why I never have train romances. One because I've usually had to get up at an hour I consider utterly unreasonable (any time before 7), two because I like to read/watch films/listen to music on trains but mostly because I always end up falling asleep. Slept all the way from Dundee to London once. :lol: Woke up and discovered my mum had knitted an entire scarf while I'd been asleep.
    That's a talent sure to get any man to fall for you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Swedish and I'm in the same situation! Except I'm 18 so there's some hope for me from September in the UK.
    Same here, except unfortunately I'm not Swedish. which course are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I probably wouldn't keep that username for too long lest someone get the wrong impression!

ReputationRep:
    I think being confident is the key. don't be afraid to make the first move.

ReputationRep:
    Demonstrate value
    Engage physically
    Nurture dependence
    Neglect emotionally
    Inspire hope
    Separate entirely

you can get them back whever you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJKay)
    That's a talent sure to get any man to fall for you.
    Isn't it just? I reckon I could win Britain's Got Talent with my mad skills :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lifeofpies)
    I'm getting really pissed off...

I'm a second year student at uni and have been single my whole life. I'm quite shy sometimes but i'm normal looking and capable of a conversation. The last of my single friends I went to school with has now got a boyfriend and it's driving me mad that I can never meet anyone. I go out an average amount so it's not like I don't leave the house. I just feel like it's never going to happen and I will end up devoting my life to a cat. I am sick of hearing stories about how people met "oh yeh we met at this party" or "actually we met on a train one day". There must be a whole bunch of average people like me in a similar situation, I'm not the only one right?

p.s no i'm not fat like my name may suggest
    You seem like a nice person, you will find someone sooner or later.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.