Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How Much Do You Care About Rep? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanS94)
    Not really :lol: As long as you're not really offensive to anyone you're fine most people can't affect rep and they're mainly the people who neg everyone If you be offensive you'll get the attention of those with high rep.

Is anyone at 10 green bars yet? I'm assuming Ape gone insane is close since he's been on 9 ever since I've joined.
    The only way to get 10 green gems is if you dig yourself the deepest basement ever known to man...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyler Varona)
    The only way to get 10 green gems is if you dig yourself the deepest basement ever known to man...
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/memberlist.php

20th most rep on this forum
    197th most posts

-_-

ReputationRep:
    The more the merrier but unless i can somehow turn it into something with intrinsic monetary value im not going to loose much sleep if it vanishes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)

-_-
    1265th :lol: ... took me about 5 minutes to find myself. I was shocked to see someone with 5 gems with 5 posts :eek: They must have posted one hell of a comment.

ReputationRep:
    I consider myself to be somewhat of a knight white of this forum.

ReputationRep:
    I got a question, why do most subs and mods go on about how little they care for rep when there's an almost 200% chance they'd revenge neg you for negging them in the first place?

Are they lying to seem "cool" online? Like "I have a life dude, I don't give a crap about some pathetic rep system on a stinking student forum" type thought? :rofl:
    I was about to pos rep this but then it said 'you've ran outta rep'

NOOOO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popppppy)

Oh goodness me, just look at those claws

ReputationRep:
    Not really :lol: As long as you're not really offensive to anyone you're fine most people can't affect rep and they're mainly the people who neg everyone If you be offensive you'll get the attention of those with high rep.

I have to say I can't agree. If you say anything pro religion you get negged to death!

Generally if you go against the mainstream you get negged

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pizzle223)
    How much do you care about your TSR rep?
    I don't care about rep much. Admittedly, sometimes I may post a non serious reply hoping to get some thumbs up, but I'd still post things that I know will get negged, sometimes just to amuse myself. I'd always post my actual opinion, regardless of how well received I think it'll be ( I'm not particularly opinionated, so this Israeli an issue[ think I'll keep that autocorrect!]).

Negs can be annoying though, as
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    t
    says. When I see a neg, I think I get a quick stab of disappointment that someone didn't like my joke or disagrees with me.

I definitely think that having a reputation system changes popularity of certain kinds of posts. Reddit has a similar system, and there is a whole subreddit analysing this sort of thing.

(Original post by Popppppy)
    You posted this for the rep didn't you [EDIT: No you didn't: this is chat.]

(I'll give you some tomorrow)

ReputationRep:
    I got a question, why do most subs and mods go on about how little they care for rep when there's an almost 200% chance they'd revenge neg you for negging them in the first place?

Are they lying to seem "cool" online? Like "I have a life dude, I don't give a crap about some pathetic rep system on a stinking student forum" type thought? :rofl:
    Either revenge neg or a pathetic post on your profile: "Why did you neg me man, why not tell me which part of my post you disagreed with, you coward". Completely forgetting that sometimes everyone, including themselves, just feels like negging without having to give an explanation.

I also enjoy it when someone with red gems revenge negs me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    I don't care much about my rep score, but it does bother me if people neg rep me for a reason which I think is unjustified. I tend to take it as a personal insult
    You shouldn't really care, in contrast to certain other people, you actually seem to give back positive and constructive responses... its so easy to be critical and negative remarks .

ReputationRep:
    Haha, that is probably true, I keep seeing negatives against things I post,lol... doesn't bother me....let haters be haters...:cool:

ReputationRep:

197th most posts

-_-
    Actually I count 19. It is late though so I may have made an error.

And nicely done.

I think we should see people's rep/post ratio. Now that would really show a good member. Although I feel, mine would kind of suck.

ReputationRep:
    It is my reason to live. I was almost lost to this world, until I found the path of Rep, or rather, the path found me. I will never be able to rest until I discover the maximum green gem count, then finally I will have peace.

No... Seriously, I do check rep often and I like it when a post is appreciated. However, I will never let rep make me dishonest. Generally speaking, so long as you say your view politely and it's relevant to the topic at hand, you aren't negged. Having a proper discussion > winning gem points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    I think we should see people's rep/post ratio. Now that would really show a good member. Although I feel, mine would kind of suck.
    Otkem (and mangoh) is doing a pretty good job with the neg rep/post ratio:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/memb...putation&pp=30

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Actually I count 19. It is late though so I may have made an error.

And nicely done.

Yep, 19.

ReputationRep:
    dnt f'in care, I only get +ve rep when I bite my tongue

ReputationRep:
    It annoys me sometimes when I get 8 thumbs up in a row and my rep increases by a measly 2 points, and then I get 1 neg and my rep decreases by 3 points. It's also annoying when people are so obviously posting for the rep - and they get it! They make fun of a post or say something funny or useless and get rewarded. Ok sure if it's really funny, but have some respect for an OP if they post something serious, don't try and make rep out of it.

Technically I care about rep because it's nice to know people appreciate your posts, but I try to take it lightly - just because you get rep doesn't mean your post was actually any good, and some people will neg a perfectly good post just because it doesn't fully back up and support their own opinion, even if it's a neutral post or just offers a new perspective.

Edit: Ouch! Oh no, my precious rep. How will I live on? you hurt my feelings so bad, this is such an achievement for you.

ReputationRep:
    As much as rep on the entire Internet.

ReputationRep:
    1265th :lol: ... took me about 5 minutes to find myself. I was shocked to see someone with 5 gems with 5 posts :eek: They must have posted one hell of a comment.
    I suspect that user may spend all his/her time in Chat, as you can rack up lots of rep there, but the posts aren't added to your postcount.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.