Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Changing the world Watch

ReputationRep:
    I really should get out of bed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spontogical)
    Because people are unaware of what true self-actualisation is. Which I think is the key to world peace tbh. The art of living, and appreciating the littlest thing you have - rather than longing for the things you don't have. Or rather, trying to look at the world beyond the physical realities of our own eyes. Engaging yourself and others in content that enriches our lives rather than those which constrain it.

It's a shame but there is more negativity out there than positivity - or rather, the negatives are always getting the media spotlight. We should all try our best to improve the world- will take many generations though. Definitely is worth pursuing.
    I love that! Me and my mum always talk about exactly that, how people need to live and appreciate absolutely everything.
    I really do think the growth in technology is constraining us! It may sound hypocritical since i'm on it right now, but i really wish it hadn't developed as far as it had and that people were outside playing in the streets and what not as opposed to updating their facebook status. Like I love how much easier it is to access things and communicate with friends and whatnot, but everyone's becoming so dependent on it, and i think it definitely affects moods! Like i become one moody ***** when i've been on the laptop too long, but whenever i don't go on my phone/ laptop/ anything i'm so relaxed and happy and stuff...
    Yeah sorry i've just gone off on a rambly tangent.
    To sum up, i totally agree with you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 321zero)
    Try working for an NGO or charity. If you do work for an NGO, make sure you do some academic research into their work as many NGOs are heavily criticised by academics for inefficiency. On the other hand, there are many great NGOs, like Doctors without Borders, who do amazing work.
    I've never even heard of NGO or anything... am definitely going to do some research haha. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamijack)
    I really should get out of bed...
    At this time? It's far too early

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Yeah, it's a martial art with a non-violent philosophy behind it. I recently became an instructor in it (a major milestone as far as I'm concerned).

Rising Sun Aikido in Weston-super-Mare.
    Ah okay, thank you Good for you!
    Good luck with that then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethan.94)
    I've never even heard of NGO or anything... am definitely going to do some research haha. Thanks
    Non-Governmental Organisations come in so many varieties. Think of an area you're passionate about, lets say it was humanitarian relief, you will found hundreds or even thousands of NGOs you could work for or intern for.

The money, especially at the start, is notoriously bad, however, if this is what you want to do with your life, then I'm sure you will have an incredibly rewarding career.

Many NGOs require Master's Degrees and signifiant amounts of experience in the field. Your best bet, assuming you are at uni, is to start volunteering for a charity like the Red Cross or Barnardo's, just to get some experience.

ReputationRep:
    I love that! Me and my mum always talk about exactly that, how people need to live and appreciate absolutely everything.
    I really do think the growth in technology is constraining us! It may sound hypocritical since i'm on it right now, but i really wish it hadn't developed as far as it had and that people were outside playing in the streets and what not as opposed to updating their facebook status. Like I love how much easier it is to access things and communicate with friends and whatnot, but everyone's becoming so dependent on it, and i think it definitely affects moods! Like i become one moody ***** when i've been on the laptop too long, but whenever i don't go on my phone/ laptop/ anything i'm so relaxed and happy and stuff...
    Yeah sorry i've just gone off on a rambly tangent.
    To sum up, i totally agree with you
    No, you make a lot of sense.

Some people actually use social media to replace real-life interaction which in my opinion is adding fuel to the fire of their already belittled self-esteem. I'm on the laptop for an exorbitant amount of time too lol. I think technology is great, but we should use it to enhance the good parts of our lives rather than to take them away

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha i'd love to be one! Aside from the whole unwashed part of it...
    But nah, i disagree, i reckon if we all tried it could happen. Maybe not for a long, long time, but it's totally possible.
    What you are proposing is a dream :P and i'm sorry to burst your little bubble but not all dreams come true!
    And please don't pursue this "belief" of yours because you'll just waist your time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bahjat93)
    What you are proposing is a dream :P and i'm sorry to burst your little bubble but not all dreams come true!
    And please don't pursue this "belief" of yours because you'll just waist your time!
    And what everyone though that? We'd most likely be in more wars than we are now, if not, a world war/nuclear, even worse economical crisis and god knows what else
    I don't think people realise how much of a difference each kind act - never mind how big - actually makes... They certainly add up over time anyway

Many kind acts/whatever you want to call it = positive change/good bits of society
    None = destruction! Or bad bits.. Whatever

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    At this time? It's far too early
    Never gonna get anything world changing done lying around in bed

ReputationRep:
    There is a saying 'Those who are crazy enough to dream of changing the world are usually the ones who do'.

But that's pointing out the obvious. You're not going to change the world if you don't dream about it...

ReputationRep:
    Spread the message. Put videos on youTube, establish yet another group of like-minded people. And then do the work you believe is important. Beat your drum as loud as you can and others will notice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spontogical)
    No, you make a lot of sense.

Some people actually use social media to replace real-life interaction which in my opinion is adding fuel to the fire of their already belittled self-esteem. I'm on the laptop for an exorbitant amount of time too lol. I think technology is great, but we should use it to enhance the good parts of our lives rather than to take them away
    Yeah definitely! Like this whole 'following' malarky everyone has started, why are they so desperate to have so many people liking their pictures and whatnot?! They shouldn't feel like they can only feel adequate with other people's permission... so frustrating!
    Haha yes, exactly, that's exactly what i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    There is a saying 'Those who are crazy enough to dream of changing the world are usually the ones who do'.

But that's pointing out the obvious. You're not going to change the world if you don't dream about it...
    I'm crazy, so hopefully that means i can do it haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamijack)
    Never gonna get anything world changing done lying around in bed
    yes but the world is a much happier place for my family when i've had a good nights sleep :')

ReputationRep:
    a) Most people simply cannot exert any real influence, e.g. due to financial constraints.

b) People have their own aspirations and fighting for equality is a full time job if one wishes to have a significant effect.

c) Humans are innately selfish and self-serving, so while there may be a few who pursue altruistic ends, on average most will consider I first and you second.

d) You say that there are "so many people wanting to help change the world" but relative to the 7 billion people on the planet, there are in fact very, very few people wanting to change the world.

e) People are products of their society and therefore their values, goals and expectations are completely different to those of other societies, e.g. those born in less favourable conditions. This causes blindness to and ignorance of inequality. And ignorance is bliss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    a) Most people simply cannot exert any real influence, e.g. due to financial constraints.

b) People have their own aspirations and fighting for equality is a full time job if one wishes to have a significant effect.

c) Humans are innately selfish and self-serving, so while there may be a few who pursue altruistic ends, on average most will consider I first and you second.

d) You say that there are "so many people wanting to help change the world" but relative to the 7 billion people on the planet, there are in fact very, very few people wanting to change the world.

e) People are products of their society and therefore their values, goals and expectations are completely different to those of other societies, e.g. those born in less favourable conditions. This causes blindness to and ignorance of inequality. And ignorance is bliss.
    I'm not so sure about point d)... I reckon there's alot more people than you seem to think. However everything else you said i will make my peace with
    haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)

Not so sure about point D either, and as for point C - I guess its that old nature vs nurture argument about whether humans are truly 'innately selfish' or not. I personally think people are influenced by others more than most think, and so has a major effect in how they act in later life (e.g. what kind of childhood they have had/the example their parents and other people around them have set as you have grown).

ReputationRep:
    So, i was thinking..
    If there are so many people who want to help change the world - like for instance i just saw on a thread that someone wants to be in a job which will help people, and i for one am exactly the same. Also, in books and songs and whatnot, the authors/artists are often trying to get messages across, like that everyone is equal and you should just generally be a decent person - so like, if there are so many people wanting to help change the world, and stop poverty/ racism/ bullying etcetc, why is there not more being done?!

I know this doesn't really make that much sense. My thoughts are quite jumbled..

But i'm thinking, if so many people want the world to be a better place, why not do more about it? Why not refrain from *****ing, why not every now and then put money in a charity box, why not go out of your way to make people feel welcome...

I'm sure some people do, but obviously not enough is being done because this world is pretty ****ed sometimes...

Yeah. Shoot.
    Become another vegetarian, but you won't bring the meat industry toppling down on your own. It takes a combined effort on an extraordinary scale to solve extraordinary problems. If it isn't a widespread, rapidly going revolution, you can't do much as an individual.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.