Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So you get given too much change watch

• View Poll Results: What would you do if you were given too much change?
    I'd pocket it
    52.56%
    I'd give it back
    47.44%

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    If it was a shop I visited regularly, I'd give it back. If I didn't know the place I'd keep it.

ReputationRep:
    Give it back.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If its a big store I would keep it, smaller stores I would give it back as long as the cashier is nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A5ko)
    I don't tend to check my change and put my trust in the cashier (stupid I know). Sometimes it works out much better for me than them. I can't say I've ever been massively short changed (if we're excluding wrong Tax codes, although I did get that back ).
    Tbf, I tend to do this as well half the time. Not really best practise tbh

ReputationRep:
    I'd give it back, the woman in the chippy gave me change for a twenty when I only gave her a tenner. Felt really bad though cause she was obviously new and the other woman kept giving her evils

ReputationRep:
    To be frank I'd be unlikely to notice. I just get my change and shove it in my wallet without checking most of the time.
    If however I did notice I'd give it back. I've worked behind a till before and I know how fun that is, no reason to make it any worse.

ReputationRep:
    duno man it all depends on the situation nd context. if i was out of **** i'd probs keep it an extra quid can go a long way u get me? if i had my baccy and ting i'd probs give it back. also depends if the cashier is a cute gal or one of da mandem

ReputationRep:
    I don't tend to check my change, so only really notice if they give me a wrong note. I was given a £20 note in a pub once alongside some coins when I'd only paid with a £5 (she thought I'd given her a £10, and meant to pick up a £5.. I imagine she was having a bad day!) and I gave it back, because I wouldn't want her to have had to make it up from her wages.

If it was a small, little people owned shop, then I'd definitely give it back.
    If it was a big name store, like Tesco or Asda, I'd keep it.

Of course, this is depending on if I actually counted my change. I usually don't.

ReputationRep:
    If I noticed there and then, sure.

However, when I rarely count my change It'll be whilst walking out of the store. If I realise when I'm not at the till, I don't want to awkwardly interrupt another transaction to give it back.

ReputationRep:
    I probably wouldn't notice, to be honest! I have a terrible habit of not checking my change when I'm handed it. Always worried I'm holding the next person in line up, even if there's nobody else actually queueing.. DX

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the situation. In your case, it's obvious that you've been given extra because there will be few coins, so I'd give it back because I'd instantly notice it. I don't count it though if there is a lot of coins, so I wouldn't know until after I'd left the shop. In that scenario I probably wouldn't go back. So, morally I'd give the money back but on a practical level, I probably wouldn't always do so. I mean sometimes I don't check until I'm home and I may never go into the shop again.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm one of those people who doesn't really check their change. If I noticed I would give it back though.

ReputationRep:
    Keep it.

ReputationRep:
    Give it back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    karma will bite you in the ass if you laugh at it
    Riiiiiiiight. Then how come Stalin lived for 70+ years in the lap of luxury?

Depends how much. A quid I would keep if it was a big chain, hell I might even accept a bit more, but if it was a small business I would give it back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llewellyn_J)
    Riiiiiiiight. Then how come Stalin lived for 70+ years in the lap of luxury?

Depends how much. A quid I would keep if it was a big chain, hell I might even accept a bit more, but if it was a small business I would give it back.
    Not sure how Stalin fits in to the retail sector tbh...

ReputationRep:
    I always give it back, I was given an extra 10p the other day (it was obvious because I was expecting a penny change and I got 11p, I didn't stand counting it lol) and I gave it back.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    To me, it doesnt matter whether its one pound or a thousand. I'm not going to pocket money that isn't mine... so i'd give it back.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just keep it

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.