Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you can walk 5k you can run 5k. It's a matter of pacing yourself, you probably won't manage it first time out, without stopping to walk, but rather than "building up to 5k", find a 5k route, and go run it. If you have to stop to walk then do so (push yourself to "failure", the moment you believe you couldn't possibly run it). Wait until you've caught your breath and start running again.
    Do it every 2 days. You'll recognise the pace you can hold pretty quickly and I guarantee* within 2 weeks you'll "run" 5k.
    It might not be a fast time. But you can build from that.

ReputationRep:
    You should download the Couch to 5K app like I've done!
    Today was my first day doing it and it was brilliant. You do a 5 minute warm up walk and then jog for 1 minute and then walk for 1 minute 30 for 20 minutes and then a 5 minute cool down walk. It was actually fun and didn't really hurt, and although it might start to hurt eventually, it's all gradual so I'll never be too strained. And it was really helpful having an app to help me track the time, tell me when to change and to motivate me. The one I got cost £1.something, but there are tons of free apps or you can just look at some NHS podcasts or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fenwickcharl)
    3 years ago, I left my friends from school / college for uni.
    Lost touch with them really.
    I recently got in touch with them on facebook.
    We used to be on a netball team through school and college.
    Anyway... theyve invited me to run in aid of an old friend of ours in a charity run.
    Truth is, it looks like all my friends still play sports, where as I havent excercised in 3 yrs. Im now overweight, and I smoke. I am concerned about doing this run. The run is 5km, in May. But on the other hand, I am only 20, I should manage 5km.
    That would be very dangerous for someone of your size. It would seem that you have not done any exercise for a very long time, and 5km requires some level of fitness.
    Your best hope would be to start eating clean and exercising right now. Come May, you might just be able to survive it.

(Original post by ironandwine)
    If you're determined, yes, of course you could do it - you'd probably have to start training now, but it's perfectly possible. You could use it as motivation to get fit again if you wanted
    On what grounds are you basing this on? Do you know how long it takes to build up cardio performance and drop the amount of weight needed for this?

ReputationRep:
    Try out a small run first and see how that goes. If its fine, go for the 5k

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    That would be very dangerous for someone of your size. It would seem that you have not done any exercise for a very long time, and 5km requires some level of fitness.
    Your best hope would be to start eating clean and exercising right now. Come May, you might just be able to survive it.

On what grounds are you basing this on? Do you know how long it takes to build up cardio performance and drop the amount of weight needed for this?
    No of course not, I'm not a fitness fanatic, I just know if someone's determined enough they'll be able to achieve it. We're talking 5K, not a marathon. My Mum was a similar size and in a similar position and she managed it - and this girl is 20, she's perfectly capable.

"You might just be able to survive it" is hardly going to spur her on to get fit now, is it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ironandwine)
    No of course not, I'm not a fitness fanatic, I just know if someone's determined enough they'll be able to achieve it. We're talking 5K, not a marathon. My Mum was a similar size and in a similar position and she managed it - and this girl is 20, she's perfectly capable.

"You might just be able to survive it" is hardly going to spur her on to get fit now, is it...
    "I just know if someone's determined enough they'll be able to achieve it."....relative to starting fitness and it still takes time. I know many people who can't run 200m let alone 5km, and looking at OPs pics, I would say she probably leans towards the former.
    Maybe the shame of not being able to join in with her friends will spur her on more?

ReputationRep:
    You are right. I can't run 50m at the moment.
    My plan is to shop for trainers and tracksuit tomorrow, then start on Tuesday with the walk run training.
    Pictures will motivate me.
    Oh pizza chocolate and cigarettes, what have you done to me.

ReputationRep:
    It's not just about weight. My boyfriend is obese, yet he did a 10k last year. I, on the other hand, am a perfectly normal weight and can hardly run at all. You need to train. Sort your diet out, try to cut back on the smoking, and start going on short runs. Run until you start to tire (but not until you want to collapse, or you'll just want to go home) then walk for a bit, then repeat. Eventually you will find that the time you spend walking will decrease.

Couch to 5k is good, but it assumes you can run for up to 45 seconds to begin with.. and I couldn't when I tried it, so I'm going it alone!

ReputationRep:
    You can adapt the progression model but the idea still stands. Jog for a bit then walk for a bit. I would try and make sure you have good running shoes/avoid running on concrete. It is much nicer for your joints, which will probably not be conditioned to the impact at this stage.

ReputationRep:
    So ..... I've bought some sports wear. It looks like it's painted on even though I bought my size.
    I pulled it on yesterday, drove a few miles away so I didn't embarrass myself in front of the neighbours, and set off.

I walked for 2 mins, then ran until I couldn't any more, 30 seconds ish..... How embarrassing. I repeated this a few times then drove home.

At least I got started. Mixed feelings of shock at my inability to run, pride that I've started, feeling daunted for the run, and hopelessness that it's going to be too hard to continue.

So... How did run feel?
    I felt self conscious.
    I can't believe how much wobbling was going on. It's a hard feeling too describe, kind of like for every step my foot landed, half a second later a weight would pull down on me and then bounce and jiggle up and down.

I can't decide if it was my legs or chest that made me stop running. Legs got very tired , but I got very very breathless, Coughing and my little heart was racing. And I did feel a pang of guilt getting in the car afterwards and lighting a cigarette.

Oh well... Everyone has to start.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    you're there to support a good cause.don't push yourself too hard.if you need to walk ,you walk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fenwickcharl)
    So ..... I've bought some sports wear. It looks like it's painted on even though I bought my size.
    I pulled it on yesterday, drove a few miles away so I didn't embarrass myself in front of the neighbours, and set off.

I walked for 2 mins, then ran until I couldn't any more, 30 seconds ish..... How embarrassing. I repeated this a few times then drove home.

At least I got started. Mixed feelings of shock at my inability to run, pride that I've started, feeling daunted for the run, and hopelessness that it's going to be too hard to continue.

So... How did run feel?
    I felt self conscious.
    I can't believe how much wobbling was going on. It's a hard feeling too describe, kind of like for every step my foot landed, half a second later a weight would pull down on me and then bounce and jiggle up and down.

I can't decide if it was my legs or chest that made me stop running. Legs got very tired , but I got very very breathless, Coughing and my little heart was racing. And I did feel a pang of guilt getting in the car afterwards and lighting a cigarette.

Oh well... Everyone has to start.
    To be honest, I can't run for all that long either. But the only way to get through that is to run often and practice, and eventually you'll get better .

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.