Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    No. I'm a horrible person, and I'm lucky as ****!.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kateislate)
    And/or have you had any experiences with Karma? I'm not really sure where I stand on the matter personally. It'll be interesting to hear peoples responses
    I've always disliked the idea that the hands dealt out to one in this life were somehow set by one's conduct in previous life/lives. It doesn't make logical sense and it works to support the status quo of highly divided aristocrat/serf societies, which makes me suspicious straight away. Probably these ideas evolved because priesthoods wanted to cement their power in Hinduism and Buddhism and how better than to offer people no hope without constant prayer from the priests, whilst at the same time offering zero hope of change to one's social situation in this life? This also neatly suited the aristocrats in the feudal societies in which the concept emerged - they would have total justification for their opulent lifestyles whilst at the same time incentivising the poor not to rebel.

Of course, I realise there is a lot more to Karma in the complex beliefs that surround it than just the simple view I give above, but I'm trying to get to the bottom of why such a view would have evolved. Probably it offered some comfort to hopeless people that there might at least be some improvement in the 'next' life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpharius)
    No. I'm a horrible person, and I'm lucky as ****!.
    Karma is about the next life. The good luck you have in this one (according to belief in Karma) is the result of good conduct in previous lives. Given how horrible you (say you) are now, you will most likely end up as a worm or a sandfly in the next one.

Well Karma states the reverse of the same thing that I believe in. Do to others what you would to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Karma is about the next life. The good luck you have in this one (according to belief in Karma) is the result of good conduct in previous lives. Given how horrible you (say you) are now, you will most likely end up as a worm or a sandfly in the next one.
    Is it about an afterlife? And here I was thinking Karma meant what goes around comes around in this life...

Nah, it's bull**** then, no worries! No evidence of an afterlife, not worrying one bit about it.

And whats wrong with worms?

ReputationRep:
    Karma, No.

Causality, unquestionably yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpharius)
    Is it about an afterlife?

Nah, it's bull**** then, no worries!

And whats wrong with worms?
    I suppose it's a short, but noble existence.

In what ways do you manifest your horribleness? That could give us clues as to your misbehaviour in your previous existences, at least according to some Zen masters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I suppose it's a short, but noble existence.

In what ways do you manifest your horribleness? That could give us clues as to your misbehaviour in your previous existences, at least according to some Zen masters.
    General ********.

The more important question is; What's wrong with worms? Even Darwin loved worms?

ReputationRep:
    I've had my share of experiences.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, there is no justice sometimes - it's just wishful thinking.

ReputationRep:
    I do lean towards the idea of karma although I'm not entirely sure about where exactly I stand on it - I haven't studied karma and rebirth in enough detail for me to formulate a concrete opinion. However, I do think that the understanding of karma as "what goes around, comes around" is too basic and too simplistic. I read a book recently and the author's take - "The idea of karma is that you continually get the teachings that you need to open your heart" is something that resonated with me, as cheesy as it might sound.

But I'm no expert and while I do have some idea about how karma works, I don't really have enough knowledge - that's something I'm still working on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viriol)
    Wiki: "is the concept of "action" or "deed", understood as that which causes the entire cycle of cause and effect (i.e., the cycle called saṃsāra) originating in ancient India and treated in the Hindu, Jain, Buddhist, and Sikh religions."

It's considered a "natural" process of cause and effect, and is a main part of Buddhism, which rejects "someone in control".
    That's far more subtle than what most people take karma to be, though.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I believe in what goes around, comes around; what goes up, must come down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    That's far more subtle than what most people take karma to be, though.
    Most (abstract) concepts are far more subtle than most people take them to be. That is an unfortunate symptom of the society we live in - the "light" version of concepts is the one that stays in people's minds.

I find that, when talking of a concept that was originally widespread as (and still is) a pillar of eastern religious philosophy, it is more "honest" to talk of their meaning in that context.

ReputationRep:
    I believe if you do a favour for a woman she is obliged to pay you back sexually..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabzqt)
    Doesn't believing in Karma imply that dying children in Africa are suffering because it's their fault? Doesn't sound very nice...
    As human as such an argument may sound it actually doesn't say a thing about the validity of Karma.

Nevertheless, taking you comment, would you find it "nicer" if those children were suffering with no fault of their own?

ReputationRep:
    My brother got locked in the bathroom the other day. I stood outside and laughed for a good ten minutes until he got out.

I got locked in two days later ..

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what you mean by Karma. An invisible force that punishes you when you do wrong? No. Punishment from a deity after this life? Sure.

ReputationRep:
    Yes to karma but I believe it can occur over different life times and in different realms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.