Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

!!!ALERT - North Korea Prepares To Fire Upon US Bases - ALERT!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mad Dog)
    The likelihood of North Korea actually doing anything it says it's going to do is about as likely as a Oscar Pistorious riding a horse in this years grand national.
    I know right?

But some time ago (around '07), I also remember saying that such is as likely as Shaquille O'Neal racing against Micheal Phelps in the Beijing Olympics. Whilst that didn't quite happen - guess what did? :shock:

The moral of this story? Even the strangest of things can happen sometimes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh93)
    1) At the most optimistic assessment NK may be able to fire a missile as far as the very edge of Alaska, polar bears may have cause for concern but the mainland USA is almost certainly out of effective reach.

2) It is doubtful that the North Koreans are even capable of getting an ICBM to achieve re-entry, let alone hit the target (this is also assuming that the Yanks or Japanese don't shoot it down first).

3) The overwhelming likelihood is that this is purely rhetoric with the intention of trying to get more aid out of America/lifting of sanctions.

In the event that NK actually fired anything remotely resembling an ICBM at anything remotely near the USA China would withdraw it's support so fast you'd miss it if you blinked and Uncle Sam would go through North Korea like a hot knife through butter.
    If the US decided to really, truly 'unlease hell' on another nation then they wouldn't stand a chance - look at Iraq. The US was hugely outnumbered and Sadam had a more sophisticated armed force than NK - and the Yanks exercised a fair amount of self restraint in Desert Storm 2.
    How do you KNOW North Korea can't fire a nuclear missile far enough and accurate to hit USA mainland? People making this claim are only being naive and hopeful. I'm sure if North Korea dared fire the missile it will hit, assuming nothing shoots the missiles down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bersse)
    How do you KNOW North Korea can't fire a nuclear missile far enough and accurate to hit USA mainland? People making this claim are only being naive and hopeful. I'm sure if North Korea dared fire the missile it will hit, assuming nothing shoots the missiles down.
    I don't 'know' but I have more faith in the experts that do claim to 'know' than I do belief that a nation incapable of keeping the streetlights on can effectively design:

A) A nuclear warhead small enough to fit on an ICBM.
    B) A rocket with the range to cross the Pacific, it's debatable whether they could reach Guam let alone Washington and NY is completely out of the question.
    C) Sufficient rocket technology to achieve re-entry and not just burn up.
    D) Sufficient navigating sophistication to be able to actually hit the target - which based on previous missile launches I do not believe they possess.

Even if they did meet all of those criterion I'm still not convinced that they have the balls to go through with it/are mad enough. North Korea is scary and they do have nuclear capability and even if that was only limited to the Korean Peninsula it would still deserve to be taken seriously - the notion that they could successfully hit the US with an ICBM however, does not.

ReputationRep:
    I think this is yet more evidence of the fact that the North Korean leader has lost control and his generals are now calling the shots.

Frankly there's nothing to worry about though, in the highly unlikely event that the USA could not have it shot down first and it hit, the USA would enact a revenge so extreme that no nation would dare fire a pistol at them again because i honestly believe that if the USA were nuked even once they would carpet bomb the c*** out of North Korea so hard that there would be nothing left for the South Koreans to take over.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    North Korea are just making themselves look more stupid

ReputationRep:
    It's all rhetoric. Kim Jong-Un studied in Europe, didn't he? He must know that it won't end well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    It'll be OK, they'll fire a tin-pot rocket, it'll fall into the sea and Kim will put Independence Day on the telly and tell everyone it's live footage from New York
    This most likely.

If such a thing happens (and I personally don't rule it out because I just don't know if the NK leadership is either A) mad enough to do it or B) actually believes it could win) it'd be interesting to see how the us responds to be honest, and ergo what the response of China will be.

All of the rhetoric thus far is just words to be honest, but if NK actually went & launched a missile/nuke, then that's a totally different ball game isn't it? Not only have the crossed the WMD line (even if it fails) but it's also one of those things that a country cannot let pass to be honest, another country trying to kill it's citizens - it's a challenge to it's sovereignty essentially.

That's why I personally wonder if China would support North Korea if they did something that stupid to the US, because at least in my view, the US would be justified in taking the country apart, or at least removing it's leadership. I suppose though with the huge political and financial fall-out that would create it's not too likely to happen though, even if America is attacked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh93)
    I don't 'know' but I have more faith in the experts that do claim to 'know' than I do belief that a nation incapable of keeping the streetlights on can effectively design:

A) A nuclear warhead small enough to fit on an ICBM.
    B) A rocket with the range to cross the Pacific, it's debatable whether they could reach Guam let alone Washington and NY is completely out of the question.
    C) Sufficient rocket technology to achieve re-entry and not just burn up.
    D) Sufficient navigating sophistication to be able to actually hit the target - which based on previous missile launches I do not believe they possess.

Even if they did meet all of those criterion I'm still not convinced that they have the balls to go through with it/are mad enough. North Korea is scary and they do have nuclear capability and even if that was only limited to the Korean Peninsula it would still deserve to be taken seriously - the notion that they could successfully hit the US with an ICBM however, does not.
    The same experts who said that there were weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHistoryStudent)
    This most likely.

If such a thing happens (and I personally don't rule it out because I just don't know if the NK leadership is either A) mad enough to do it or B) actually believes it could win) it'd be interesting to see how the us responds to be honest, and ergo what the response of China will be.

All of the rhetoric thus far is just words to be honest, but if NK actually went & launched a missile/nuke, then that's a totally different ball game isn't it? Not only have the crossed the WMD line (even if it fails) but it's also one of those things that a country cannot let pass to be honest, another country trying to kill it's citizens - it's a challenge to it's sovereignty essentially.

That's why I personally wonder if China would support North Korea if they did something that stupid to the US, because at least in my view, the US would be justified in taking the country apart, or at least removing it's leadership. I suppose though with the huge political and financial fall-out that would create it's not too likely to happen though, even if America is attacked.
    China would not support NK, they are already getting majorly shirty with them. I can definitely see them taking a pot shot at the South mind you...

ReputationRep:
    North Korea loses any war it starts, simple as. It cannot even hope to defeat the South Korean military by itself. Any war is essentially North Korean suicide. Messy but ultimately their defeat.

Plus North Korea simply doesn't have any means to realistically threaten America, it can't reach targets in the US mainland, I dispute it's ability to realistically target US pacific possessions, and it's crude 'long range' weaponry can probably be intercepted by American, South Korean and Japanese counter measures regardless.

Dunno what the new young Kim is up to but it's probably to cement his position within the NK regime, if he has any intelligence he'll know he cannot hope to win any escalation with neighbours. Like most NK actions and statements, this is more for domestic consumption and effect than anything.

ReputationRep:
    In other words they have a firework on a stick that probably won't clear North Korean airspace.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid Korean! my home is just near NK....Hope my home remains safe when US force wiping out NK...

By the way, Chinese people are extremely fed up with the stupidity of NK. So Chinese government will not be against people to support a silly regime. Moreover, it is against China' interest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.