Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Arty's new PC - an educational project. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artymess)
    Much like my experience with women :sly:

I think I'll opt for W8 unless I can be convinced otherwise. The idea of this build is to make something futureproof :yep: don't want to be upgrading and replacing a year or so down the line. I will go for an SSD though - no doubt. Dat 20sec boot time :sogood:

Watercooling is probably pricey and I don't know enough about it :erm: Might be that I go with fans.

Hmm shall look into capture cards :holmes: streaming is a little way off yet though (more likely to be Voli/Hec/ZAC though )
    But, but, J4! :nooo: (bought him myself and quite like him, not level 20-30 yet so no T3 runes so jungling is a bit slow )

SSDs can boot up in even less than 20 seconds :yes:
    Let us know when all your parts arrive and we'll give you any more help you need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    x
    Good list :yy: as it happens I know a guy who knows a guy :sly: so I can get crazy staff discounts if I order through Scan. With this in mind, I've a list something like this:

GPU: Nvidia 2gb graphics card

CPU: i7

SSD: Intel 120gb

HDD: Seagate 2tb SATA III HDD

RAM: Corsair 8gb 1600Mhz

Mobo: This one I guess?

PSU: Corsair 600W

This doesn't include aftermarket cooler/water cooling, case, optical drive etc so far :erm: but what do you think?
    Any glaring problems with components or compatibility issues?
    Also what would you say in regards to wifi? I know some Mobos come with built-in adaptors. Is it worth looking for one of those, or should I look at buying a separate wireless adaptor and installing it? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    But, but, J4! :nooo: (bought him myself and quite like him, not level 20-30 yet so no T3 runes so jungling is a bit slow )

SSDs can boot up in even less than 20 seconds :yes:
    Let us know when all your parts arrive and we'll give you any more help you need.
    He's ok still but they nerfed his E, no more armour aura :erm: they said something about him offering too much utility, but he's a utility jungler. Probably just because he was flavour of the month :sigh:

Yeh I've seen 15-17s boots using SSD - too strong :sogood:

I'll be ordering in the next few weeks I should imagine :yy: though I might save up to get my peripherals at the same time :cute:

ReputationRep:
    Let's get down to business. I'm sick of buying laptops, running them into the ground, then having to buy a new laptop. This is why I'm going to build my own

The only problem is, I have no idea how. Like genuinely no idea. I know little about the workings of computers and have no history in computing :erm:

BUT! I am willing to learn. Within a month I'm aiming to learn how to build a PC, what all the components do and what components are necessary/good value. All advice is welcome and encouraged, from educational posts on the ins and outs of building, to component comparisons, peripheral reviews - you name it :cute:

For those willing to help me find parts: here's some background. I'll need a PC capable of video editing, gaming, potentially streaming too. Budget for the tower is probably around £1000 - I can go higher if you can convince me a component is worth it :sly:

For those willing to educate me: I have no idea what I'm doing. I need a run down of all the vital components, what they do and why they're vital. I need to know how to hook up double monitors. I don't mind if you link me to guides, FAQs, other reputable computing sites or just type me horror stories about not getting wires caught in cooling fans. I also need to know about cooling fans vs water cooling. SSD? yay or nay? Overclocking - free performance or am I just wrecking my parts? .....etc.

In conclusion...

+rep for helpful posts, free hugs for those who go above and beyond and expect the OP to be regularly updated with new questions on all things practical and component related :yep:
    Not sure if this has been answered but what is your budget (if you have one)?

ReputationRep:
    x
    You can buy USB wireless adaptors, I've seen some on Amazon for like £10.
    Wireless adaptors aren't hard to install; literally just plug it into the mobo.
    The specs look pretty good but you will need a case that can fit all of it in - if you choose to install Windows 8 via CD then you will need an optical drive, though there are 'alternatives'.

ReputationRep:
    Good list :yy: as it happens I know a guy who knows a guy :sly: so I can get crazy staff discounts if I order through Scan. With this in mind, I've a list something like this:

GPU: Nvidia 2gb graphics card Really expensive for what it is............closest match is the Asus version or something like a 7950/7970. Hope the discount is very good.

CPU: i7 what about this? it is newer http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel...ache-35x-ratio

SSD: Intel 120gb very expensive, look at crucial m4 or samsung 840 pro and save a bit

HDD: Seagate 2tb SATA III HDD

RAM: Corsair 8gb 1600Mhz better http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-(...nbuffered-cas-

Mobo: This one I guess? its from a more basic chipset and you cant overclock using the board, stick to z77 board or the one I suggested from gigabyte z77-d3h

PSU: Corsair 600W its fine

This doesn't include aftermarket cooler/water cooling, case, optical drive etc so far :erm: but what do you think?
    Any glaring problems with components or compatibility issues?
    Also what would you say in regards to wifi? I know some Mobos come with built-in adaptors. Is it worth looking for one of those, or should I look at buying a separate wireless adaptor and installing it? :holmes:
    Just the stock cooler with the cpu......... if your not overclocking or some basic overclocking just get a nice basic one like the freezer 7 or gelid tranquillo rev 2.

case: comes with 2 fans, space for other 5, so maybe consider getting an extra few for better airflow http://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsa...usb-30-w-o-psu

optical drive is cheap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANARCHY__)
    Not sure if this has been answered but what is your budget (if you have one)?
    It's literally in what you quoted :erm: £1000

ReputationRep:
    It's literally in what you quoted :erm: £1000
    :getmecoat:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2013
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.