Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    If I was black I would be very pissed off their some feminists comparing the oppression black people faced compared to women.

Women ever used as slaves and shipped across the world? Nope
    Women ever sent to the front line for pointless wars? Nope
    Women living in the poorest areas and the worst education? Nope
    Are you forgetting that black female slaves existed?

And yes, poor women today are shipped across the world and used as slaves. This is happening right now and in this country, and it's happening mainly to women, not men.

Edit: The more I think about this post, the stupider it seems. You cannot seriously think that women are not receiving the worst education in some parts of the world? In many areas, women aren't allowed to be educated at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    Are you forgetting that black female slaves existed?
    Nope, don't see the point in making the distinction. You were screwed as a slave regardless of your sex.

And yes, poor women today are shipped across the world and used as slaves. This is happening right now and in this country, and it's happening mainly to women, not men.
    Fair point. But still, it is not quite comparable to what black people went through. The problem of modern slaves is not a gender problem as much as it is an individual tragedy in each case. Unlike slavery which was clearly a racism problem.

Edit: The more I think about this post, the stupider it seems. You cannot seriously think that women are not receiving the worst education in some parts of the world? In many areas, women aren't allowed to be educated at all.
    If the women are not educated, it is usually the case the men are not either. It is less a gender issue and more a poverty issue.

The state of women's education in developed nations should not be a concern to anybody who is thinking straight.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, don't see the point in making the distinction. You were screwed as a slave regardless of your sex.
    Exactly, is she actually serious?

Fair point. But still, it is not quite comparable to what black people went through. The problem of modern slaves is not a gender problem as much as it is an individual tragedy in each case. Unlike slavery which was clearly a racism problem.
    Also using black people as slaves was perfectly legal back then, is slavery legal now? No, is it viewed as abhorrent? yes.

If the women are not educated, it is usually the case the men are not either. It is less a gender issue and more a poverty issue.

The state of women's education in developed nations should not be a concern to anybody who is thinking straight.
    Actually men are doing worse in education than women at the moment, anybody thinking straight would realize that men need more help there than women do...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Equal =/= the same.

We've filled our evolutionary roles as a sexually dimorphic species thus we have differences in abilities and form which make us complementary.

ReputationRep:
    You said: "Women ever used as slaves and shipped across the world? Nope". Well, yes they were because some slaves were women. I'm not saying this is about gender because it wasn't, but you said it didn't happen to women, which it did.

On a individual basis, what those women go through today is the same as what black slaves went through. But yes, it is not on the same scale. I disagree that it is not a gender problem though. To use people as slaves, you have to consider them property, not as people. Africans were used because they were seen as inferior to white people, the same way as women are trafficked because they are seen as inferior to men.

Actually no, it's not. Have you not heard about Malala Yousufzai, a 14 year old girl who was shot by the Taliban for advocating girls' education? In some countries, it is not seen as appropriate for women to receive education. They are kept out of school because their place is seen as in the home, ready to pop out babies and not get any ideas of her own. According to UNICEF " Current estimates place the number of out-of-school children at 93 million – more than the entire population of the Philippines . The majority of these children are girls, and almost 80 per cent of them live in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia. "

Women have it good in developed countries but I think it is still important to look into why we have such a gender segregation in the arts and sciences and why boys tend to do worse in formal exams.

ReputationRep:
    You said: "Women ever used as slaves and shipped across the world? Nope". Well, yes they were because some slaves were women. I'm not saying this is about gender because it wasn't, but you said it didn't happen to women, which it did.
    Yes, obviously women were slaves aswell as men... But that's a obviously a racial problem, not gender.

On a individual basis, what those women go through today is the same as what black slaves went through. But yes, it is not on the same scale. I disagree that it is not a gender problem though. To use people as slaves, you have to consider them property, not as people. Africans were used because they were seen as inferior to white people, the same way as women are trafficked because they are seen as inferior to men.
    No, they are trafficked because gangs can make money. The same reason why blacks were.

Actually no, it's not. Have you not heard about Malala Yousufzai, a 14 year old girl who was shot by the Taliban for advocating girls' education? In some countries, it is not seen as appropriate for women to receive education. They are kept out of school because their place is seen as in the home, ready to pop out babies and not get any ideas of her own. According to UNICEF " Current estimates place the number of out-of-school children at 93 million – more than the entire population of the Philippines . The majority of these children are girls, and almost 80 per cent of them live in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia. "
    Education is a socioeconomic problem, not a gender problem, education (male or female) has been available for ages, as long as you're rich.

Women have it good in developed countries but I think it is still important to look into why we have such a gender segregation in the arts and sciences and why boys tend to do worse in formal exams.
    Boys do better than girls in formal exams.... It's coursework where boys do badly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jreid1994)
    x
    Seriously look at this graph. It's becoming ridiculous. Let's have a little break, yeah?

Name:  errgh.png
Views: 73
Size:  7.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    Seriously look at this graph. It's becoming ridiculous. Let's have a little break, yeah?

Name:  errgh.png
Views: 73
Size:  7.6 KB
    Hahahaha!! You always make laugh somehow.
    :rolleyes: what has this got to do with anything? It's because you say ridiculous things like education is a gender issue when it's obviously a poverty one.

Edit: fine I won't question you're because you have a diety like understanding of society.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jreid1994)
    Hahahaha!! You always make laugh somehow.
    :rolleyes: what has this got to do with anything? It's because you say ridiculous things like education is a gender issue when it's obviously a poverty one.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    No-one else feels the need to quote me so often.

And when young girls are getting shot for demanding equal access to education, it's a gender issue.

ReputationRep:
    No-one else feels the need to quote me so often.

And when young girls are getting shot for demanding equal access to education, it's a gender issue.
    I only quote what I find questionable and a lot of things you write are questionable.

No, because a lot of boys out there are uneducated aswell. Unless of course 12 year old boys on the front line= education

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who doesn't get the basics of the speech here?

"When I refer to Feminism is mean the approach of Feminism to understanding gender issues."
    This sentence doesn't make sense. What are you saying? That you support feminism, but not the way it is advertised? You think feminists should approach women in a different way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millie228)
    Am I the only one who doesn't get the basics of the speech here?

"When I refer to Feminism is mean the approach of Feminism to understanding gender issues."
    This sentence doesn't make sense. What are you saying? That you support feminism, but not the way it is advertised? You think feminists should approach women in a different way?
    No, it is because it seems that feminists see the world as woman vs man.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to bull****, so ill state my opinion clearly: women are generally naturally inferior in the things that are percieved as stereotypes for it today e.g. maths, sports etc.

If the alternate case were true, that is, women were in fact equal in these acivities, then it would actually occur and show through on its own, you would not need to exert effory; so hypothetically cambridge would have a 50:50 male/female ratio, but this isnt the case... why? Because males perform better in these roles generally, simple as pi. This event hasn't occured because it didn't need to.

The male/female ratio is 50:50, it occured because it is random, male mathematics dominance exists because some male caveman began etching a tally chart in his cave and showed it to his male friends, the women left them alone whilst only one female showed a small interest in the tally; this reflects through history.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.