Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xmarksthesh0t)
    Genkai desu , antawa?
    I can't type it lol but I can speak.
    You can change your keyboard to Japanese, that's what I do. And, genki desu yo!

ReputationRep:
    French or Spanish I'd say.

Canada and Europe = French
    USA = More Spanish

I feel Spanish is the easiest language to learn! If true do want to start, I recommend:

"A German Learning Grammar"

The book is brilliant

I've studied French "properly" for two years at GCSE, but I've advanced myself in my own time, and I'm learning Spanish, Italian and German.

German is by far the hardest I thought!

So yeah, I say Spanish or French!

ReputationRep:
    In my own experience, I would strongly suggest that you do some research about the culture of the country/languages you are interested in. I would say it is really difficult to fully become fluent in a language you're not interested or not know much about. For example, I recently started learning Mandarin and have been doing some research about China, the culture and tradition. That really helped me to get motivated.

Also, sometimes a language might not simply work for you. So keep your options open if you don't feel good about it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl1.)
    I've recently started learning German. I've used a variety of websites and I have to say that duolingo.com is the best website for me. I think it is the best I have used because it teaches you phrases instead of just single words. You can also get the duolingo app on your phone.

Since I don't always have time to sit down and study German I also have audio learning tapes on my iphone. I'm currently using the Pimsleurs audio tapes, which are good because you can hear how things are pronounced and it improves your ability to have a conversation. The repetitiveness of things can be a little boring, but it really helps you to remember it, especially when you are just beginning the language and it's the little things that trip you up.

As for computer programs, I haven't go round to them yet, but I will probably get 'Tell Me More German' based on reviews I have read.

I also find having a notepad to write everything I know down to be useful because if you slack off learning for even a few days you can forget things, so looking over the notebook helps refresh your memory.

Finally, if you know anyone who speaks the language you want to speak, message them once you learn a little or if you don't there's plenty of forums.

PS/ all of the resources I have told you about also support French and Spanish.
    Cheers! quite a few good sounding resources there, I will have a look when I get home!, much appreciated!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.