Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Why was a 14 yr old girl out at half 10 at night?.She should have been at home not travelling on buses.
    She should?

I used to take the bus back from the next town at that kind of time at that age. Not all 14 year olds are the same. Not all are as foolish as the article would seem to indicate this one was. Not everyone lives in a ****ty part of a city with high crime rates.

ReputationRep:
    Why the **** didn't the bus driver keep the suspected rapists locked on the bus and ring the police?! Why did he let them off?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edithwashere)
    How long before the victim blamers show up? Know you aren't blaming her at all, but sadly that'll probably get used against her in the court case (if there even is one)
    Yeah not blaming her at all it says she was sat downstairs with a friend but I can't really see if it says her friend went upstairs with her?
    (Original post by Popppppy)
    What I don't understand is why there was no CCTV/cameras.
    I've worked with this bus company and been in the drivers cabs of these buses and they all had cameras so the drivers could see upstairs on a screen above their heads.

When I was 14 I went to a youth club which finished about 10.30 and although my mum picked me up because we lived out of town, a lot of the ones who lived in the town would make their own way home.
    I really don't think that's too late for a 14 year old to be out. She was on a bus, not wandering the streets.
    Think it depends where you live but that's just how I was brought up. There were a lot of abductions where I lived etc. I'm not blaming her in any way, nobody deserves rape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popppppy)
    What I don't understand is why there was no CCTV/cameras.
    I've worked with this bus company and been in the drivers cabs of these buses and they all had cameras so the drivers could see upstairs on a screen above their heads.
    IIRC First Glasgow's pre-2000 Volvo Olympian R-Types do not have CCTV. But it would surprise me if this was the case here, last time I was on a 56/57 it was a Volvo Gemini. Which does indeed have full CCTV. I'm not sure the bus driver is admitting all the facts here, it sounds like some important details have been missed out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stramala)
    IIRC First Glasgow's pre-2000 Volvo Olympian R-Types do not have CCTV. But it would surprise me if this was the case here, last time I was on a 56/57 it was a Volvo Gemini. Which does indeed have full CCTV. I'm not sure the bus driver is admitting all the facts here, it sounds like some important details have been missed out.
    Is it possible that the cctv was switched off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kath_igidbashian)
    I'm disgusted to hear this story, but when I read something struck me; she was with a friend, but why did she go up to the top deck alone? If you're with a friend wouldn't you stay with them anyway, especially when its dark out?
    She went upstairs on her own and "engaged in conversation with two men who had boarded the bus in the city centre".
    You gotta wonder what her parents taught her about staying safe at night, if anything. What happened to stranger danger?
    I'm not sure we're getting the full story here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJKay)
    She went upstairs on her own and "engaged in conversation with two men who had boarded the bus in the city centre".
    You gotta wonder what her parents taught her about staying safe at night, if anything. What happened to stranger danger?
    I'm not sure we're getting the full story here.
    The driver apparently kicked them off the bus at 12:30, some two hours after the assault, that seems strange.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iJess)
    One side of me thinks what was a 14 year old doing out at that time on a night. I had to be in by half 8 or 9 at the latest when I was that age but that doesn't excuse her getting raped. Nobody deserves rape. I hope the scumbags are caught and shown a proper punishment.
    Probably due to bad parenting, not the girls fault. (And other similar parents, take notice!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kath_igidbashian)
    I'm disgusted to hear this story, but when I read something struck me; she was with a friend, but why did she go up to the top deck alone? If you're with a friend wouldn't you stay with them anyway, especially when its dark out?
    Well, I don't think anyone goes onto the top deck of a bus thinking that they are going to get raped any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nimrodstower)
    The driver apparently kicked them off the bus at 12:30, some two hours after the assault, that seems strange.
    Didn't notice that. How odd. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssxx)
    "Investigations are continuing after a teenage girl was raped by two men on a double decker bus in Glasgow.

The attack happened on the top deck of the 57 bus as it left the Silverburn shopping centre in Pollok, Glasgow, at about 22:30 last Friday night.
    The 14-year-old sat downstairs with a friend but then moved to the upper deck where she was assaulted and raped by two men".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-21974375

I can see lot of double standards here, this story is not big news on many papers or not even mentioned. But they went on and on about the Indian bus rape to stigmatise a whole nation of 1.2 billion people.
    The great civilized west where you get raped on a bus with other people on board, the UK needs to get off its moral high horse and get its own house in order.

It is on the BBC. Where do you want it? Plastered on the side of a billboard?

If this person was gang raped for hours by the Bus driver and his mates, had her intestines ripped out and then left for dead, then you might have a point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    It is on the BBC. Where do you want it? Plastered on the side of a billboard?

If this person was gang raped by the Bus driver and his mates, had her intestines ripped out and then left for dead, then you might have a point.
    So, it is not shocking a child get raped on a bus in a so called developed country?
    This should be front page, because it happened in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssxx)
    So, it is not shocking a child get raped on a bus in a so called developed country?
    Well, no....children get raped in this country....everyone in this forum understands that because we don't have our heads in the sand about the problem and we have the laws to deal with it.

India still has a law system based upon Old British Colonial Law. That is why Martial rape is still not a criminal offence.

Front page news is when Jimmy Saville rapes huge numbers of children possibly using help from members of government,

Now, stop being so desperate to use the brutal murder of that young girl in India to make a dumb political point.

ReputationRep:
    So, the problem is that she was out at 10.30 during the Easter holidays? Not that they were foul rapists?

Wow, I've been out that late before, around that age, coming back from martial arts classes! I'll be sure to tell my mother that allowing me to have hobbies was irresponsible parenting. And a few years after that, I was routinely working shifts in factories and taking overtime, which meant I came home at that time on a bus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nimrodstower)
    Is it possible that the cctv was switched off?
    I don't really know. One would have to wonder what reason there would be for it being switched off aside from a technical failure. If it was turned off on purpose, someone is going to have to be held accountable here...
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Why? Why do people like this exist? How can this happen? It saddens me so much. My thoughts are with the victim. I hope these vile criminals are caught, they are scum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssxx)
    Unfortunately children and adults get raped all the time in this country*. It's not ground breaking news, it's just very very sad news, and awareness needs to be raised about the rapists so they can be caught. If all rapes were put on the front page of newspapers, you'd see no other news all year round.

* from wiki, "Of women aged 16 to 59 in England & Wales interviewed for the 2006/07 British Crime Survey, 0.5% (1 in every 200) reported that they had suffered rape or attempted rape in the previous year, equating to approximately 85,000 nationally."
    These statistics don't even include male victims, child victims or the elderly. It's pretty damn bleak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Well, no....children get raped in this country....everyone in this forum understands that because we don't have our heads in the sand about the problem and we have the laws to deal with it.

India still has a law system based upon Old British Colonial Law. That is why Martial rape is still not a criminal offence.

Now, stop being so desperate to use the brutal murder of that young girl in India to make a dumb political point.

keep your head in the sand when a child gets raped on a bus in the UK and then light candles and march because a woman got raped in India, thousands of miles away.

I am done with you.

ReputationRep:
    Evil has no boundaries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssxx)
    keep your head in the sand when a child gets raped on a bus in the UK and then light candles and march because a woman got raped in India, thousands of miles away.

I am done with you.
    I didn't march for anyone so ......no.

A women got murdered in India. You are comparing the murder of rape a woman in India to the rape of a girl here.

If you were actually serious, then you would have started a thread on how India just rejected martial rape laws or just on how a girl got raped here or etc

Instead, you did neither and decided turn a murder and a rape into a pissing contest about who is better.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.