Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is your opinion of teenage pregnancy? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its a wise choice to be honest. Whilst I have the utmost respect for any mother who raises a child well and in good esteem, the wider impacts of society are pretty debatable in having teenage pregnancies.

What this raises I think is the issue of actually talking about this issue far more in schools, especially in such a heavily sexaulised world we live in today. We also need to give far more support to our teenage females imo, there is so much pressure to "fit in" into a certain image; which is so abhorrent and morally corrosive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abzy1234)
    I don't think its a wise choice to be honest. Whilst I have the utmost respect for any mother who raises a child well and in good esteem, the wider impacts of society are pretty debatable in having teenage pregnancies.

What this raises I think is the issue of actually talking about this issue far more in schools, especially in such a heavily sexaulised world we live in today. We also need to give far more support to our teenage females imo, there is so much pressure to "fit in" into a certain image; which is so abhorrent and morally corrosive.
    You couldn't have said it better

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IsthatmaryX)
    Yeah, some teen mums are great and it must be incredibly difficult to raise a kid when you are practically a kid at heart.

But do you think that young teenagers these days are just curious and care free despite the education of unprotected sex and responsibilities of parenthood that is taught in schools?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just got to ask, why haven't you got a question mark after your username? haha

ReputationRep:
    If you're <17 then you're still a child in my eyes. So I can't really feel anything but pity for girls who become mothers at this age. Not saying they won't raise it well, but they have no life skills whatsoever, to suddenly become a parent.. well personally I think it's very sad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie James)
    Just got to ask, why haven't you got a question mark after your username? haha
    Haha, good question there Jamie and to be honest I don't know, maybe I thought it would've been stupid to question my nickname. Haha idk 😝

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha, good question there Jamie and to be honest I don't know, maybe I thought it would've been stupid to question my nickname. Haha idk

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's a bit stupid to do that tbh but maybe it was just a silly mistake, maybe you could ask the mods to add a ? on for you? haha

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a bit stupid to do that tbh but maybe it was just a silly mistake, maybe you could ask the mods to add a ? on for you? haha
    Hahaha, well I'll see if I can change it but tbh, I don't notice my username but if it would look better why not! Loool!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You couldn't have said it better

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What I also think is important is the role of the family. It's a real shame that these days a lot families have broken down in communication, where mothers or fathers can't even talk to their daughters fully about society and good social norms.

Social media is so awful as well. That puts so much fuel to the furnace of peer pressure. I might be a nagging old man, but I really think our children are growing up to fast atm :/

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, well I'll see if I can change it but tbh, I don't notice my username but if it would look better why not! Loool!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's worth asking isn't it, the worse is they say no, no worries either way just thought I'd mention it to you before you get abuse from other people on here for it, haha

ReputationRep:
    I don't blame teenage mums who can raise their child properly but I DO blame those who get pregnant because didn't knew how does a condom look like and then are trying to get rid off their child by dumping to their parents or child homes. Moreover, when they blame their child that he/she was born and that now they ruin teenage mums' lives.

ReputationRep:
    It's worth asking isn't it, the worse is they say no, no worries either way just thought I'd mention it to you before you get abuse from other people on here for it, haha
    Thank you for telling me anyway, I shall ask them anyway in the morning Haha! It does look a bit off doesn't it , haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abzy1234)
    What I also think is important is the role of the family. It's a real shame that these days a lot families have broken down in communication, where mothers or fathers can't even talk to their daughters fully about society and good social norms.

Social media is so awful as well. That puts so much fuel to the furnace of peer pressure. I might be a nagging old man, but I really think our children are growing up to fast atm :/
    It really is a shame and quite upsetting because personally, I feel that teenagers should experience childhood and not rush into life so quickly because it isn't really as much fun as childhood. And I agree, brake down of family communication is an issue that really is upsetting.

They definitely are growing up quickly, they are children and should live it like children not rushing to be adults!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgetMe)
    I don't blame teenage mums who can raise their child properly but I DO blame those who get pregnant because didn't knew how does a condom look like and then are trying to get rid off their child by dumping to their parents or child homes. Moreover, when they blame their child that he/she was born and that now they ruin teenage mums' lives.
    Yeah, it totally is an issue that in many ways is difficult to blame a main cause. Teenagers should be teenagers enjoying childhood and teenage years without the pressures on looking after their children when they haven't experienced looking after themselves properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I don't support teenage pregnancy, but I do support sex education. Sex education lowers rates of conception, and I am not against young people engaging in safe sex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    I don't support teenage pregnancy, but I do support sex education. Sex education lowers rates of conception, and I am not against young people engaging in safe sex.
    Yeah, I don't think anyone actually actively supports teenage pregnancy and definitely sex education is needed from within the family and inside schools more heavily so that young people of they are sexual active can engage in safe sex. Totally valid view that I think most people share.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almalibre11111)
    it depends on the person...i know an example that where a distant relative of mine had my cousin when she was 14-15 and all the way through she cheated her husband{without be sure} until now here she was in her mid 30s and she crewed her whoole family when she went occasionally clubbing and dancing on the tables and caught cheating finally which resulted in a divorce {the funny thing was it was by her side ,her husband forgave her... lol} and all these happened because of two reasons firstly and most importantly her PERSONALITY and the fact she had a weak character and secondly her teenage pregnancy because through the years when she was "focused" on the growing up of her children he missed the "clubbing " and party animal years...
    Woah, what a story. Teenagers just should be teenagers being safe and not wanting to grow older quickly in my opinion haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yeah, I don't think anyone actually actively supports teenage pregnancy and definitely sex education is needed from within the family and inside schools more heavily so that young people of they are sexual active can engage in safe sex. Totally valid view that I think most people share.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I expect in the future we'll become even more liberalised to the idea of young people having sex, for example like how they are in the Netherlands with their parentally-encouraged "romantic sleepovers," whilst simultaneously remaining discouraging of teenage pregnancy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel George)
    It depends, some teen mums are good mums. It's just the idiots who have unprotected sex, and are clueless about how to raise children properly. That is when I disagree with teen pregnancy!
    I believe that although there are a lot of good teen mums, a lot of them ive seen are barely mature, and aren't ready for the responsibility.

ReputationRep:
    It's her business, not mine.
    Mothers around 18 are around their prime for having children, though. Healthy, young eggs + healthy, young mother = healthy baby.
    And they'll usually have a better support system of her parents/other family members, as they'll all be younger and more capable of helping, and they'll have more energy themselves to be running after a young child.

Of course, financially they might be at a disadvantage, but if they've been working for a while, like many people I know, and have involvement from the Father, there's no reason why they can't give the child a decent life.

But there are tons of young women having babies that can just not handle having children. They should have had someone around them to help, by educating and helping them to access the things they need to be safe. Those that think raising a child will be easy, do little preparation and do not force themselves to grow up as soon as possible are the ones that should consider adoption. Especially if they're just dumping the child on other people constantly just so they can have fun.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.