Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The Ricky Gervais show, purely because Ricky is so brilliant that it seems a waste to me that instead of using it, he just insults someone whose ideas are often not as bad as he makes out

ReputationRep:
    Ant and Dec's saturday ***** takeaway.

ReputationRep:
    how the hell is friends overrated it is a genuinely funny classic comedy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KnapAttackUK)
    The Ricky Gervais show, purely because Ricky is so brilliant that it seems a waste to me that instead of using it, he just insults someone whose ideas are often not as bad as he makes out
    Nah, Karl Pilkington is a ****ing genius and he makes that show work.

ReputationRep:
    As others have said

All of the Talent shows.
    CSI

ReputationRep:
    Fully agree with the Big Bang Theory, Miranda and Family Guy shouts, Family Guy especially

ReputationRep:
    The Big Bang Theory. I used to love it but now i cringe when it's on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Didn't realise it was rated in the first place?

Anyway I'd say Prison Break. The first season is really good, but after that it's just ****, and a show with only one good season out of four can't be considered great.

I'd also say Homeland. I like it, and the Golden Globe wins for Claire Danes and Damian Lewis are definitely deserved, but the fact that it's won Best Drama two years in a row is a bit :eyebrow:
    crazy

ReputationRep:
    New Girl (NOT FUNNY - just Zooey Deschanel trying to be quirky)

Big Bang Theory

The Office

"Talent" shows.

ReputationRep:
    New Girl - I love Zooey but I don't find the show funny
    Sherlock Holmes
    South Park
    The Cube
    The X Factor
    Teen Mom and other MTV Shows
    The Only Way is Essex

Guessing I got negged because of Sherlock Holmes

ReputationRep:
    Two and a half men :l
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'm sorry but Ant and Dec's Saturday night takeaway drives me nuts.

However I am inclined to order a takeaway on a Saturday night xD

ReputationRep:
    Jim'll fix it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2ndClass)
    omg this!!!!!!!!!!!
    Glad to see someone agrees with me! The show has quite a large fanbase. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss...)
    South Park.

I don't understand why people like it. It's been on for so many years; it's just irritating! :mad:
    I can see why people wouldn't like it, but it's easy to see why many people do. Unlike many comedies it actually challenges you to think about social issues and question them (eg the episode where Randy goes to AA meetings asks a lot of questions over whether telling alcoholics that they have a disease or that they must go cold turkey is really helping society, over options such as asking people to cut down their consumption of alcohol so that they are in control of their demons.)

It's also one of the only comedies that genuinely makes anyone fair game to attack, they will joke and ridicule any group in society, they don't discriminate, be you Muslim, Christian, Jewish, liberal, conservative or even atheist you can guarantee South Park will have ripped into you at some point in it's history.

Anyway back on topic Family Guy is overrated, 90% of it is random sketches that is only related to the plot because a character suddenly 'remembers' a time it happened. They should just be like Robot Chicken and just make it all sketches. Also outside Stewie and Brian most of the characters are two dimensional and have been relying on the same joke for years (eg Quagmire does something that shows he is a sex addict, the old guy says something to remind us he's into kids etc.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    I'd list shows like Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, Two and a Half Men, etc.

But they're not really overrated.

They're just plain bad. People that praise them are objectively wrong and their opinions are void.
    How I Met Your Mother isn't in the same bracket as those two. Two and a Half Men is indeed horrific though and BBT very generic.

Surprised about the people saying UK Office, superb and quite revolutionary show but i guess it is an acquired humour.

I would say Curb Your Enthusiasm as my controversial one. People generally rate it, but it's pretty much the same storyline each episode. Still can be very funny at times but it's not something i could watch more than an episode of at a time.

Community too, just isn't that good as it's made out to be. Same level as HIMYM.

That's all i can think of really at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    I'd list shows like Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, Two and a Half Men, etc.

But they're not really overrated.

They're just plain bad. People that praise them are objectively wrong and their opinions are void.
    you probably just don't get the jokes in TBBT - that is why you think it's overrated. it's really clever stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zz_)
    you probably just don't get the jokes in TBBT - that is why you think it's overrated. it's really clever stuff.
    This. There are uni level science jokes all the time.

ReputationRep:
    Miranda is definitely overrated in my opinion. It's just pitifully unfunny and stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Breaking Bad.
    Not a bad show but so overly hyped up.

Edit: I'm sorry but people act like this show is the second coming of Christ and the best thing to happen to TV and it's really not. I mean it's good but not as good as people make it out to be. Sorry but it's true.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.