Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

We should be organ donors by default, not "non-donor" by default? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should everyone be an organ donor by default, requiring them to opt-out if they wish?
    Yes, people should be donors by default and you can opt-out if you wish
    59.24%
    No, people should be non-donors by default and opt-in
    40.76%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    If you state it wouldn't increase donor rates then you are also saying every single person who hasnt got a donor card now, would, in my system, opt out? I doubt that very much...
    To be honest, no. Now I look again, the BMJ just said there's no evidence it would increase donor rates- but why would there be any evidence?

I do still think it's wrong to presume consent for reasons I previously stated and that persuasion would be more effective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Perhaps a system where letters are sent out and you have to respond. It would take just as much effort either way.

I signed up and did mine after reading a thread here on TSR.
    and 90% of the population are not going to sign up, regardless of sending them letters....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiggyTopes)
    To be honest, no. Now I look again, the BMJ just said there's no evidence it would increase donor rates- but why would there be any evidence?

I do still think it's wrong to presume consent for reasons I previously stated and that persuasion would be more effective.
    This isn't exactly a "moral" issue.... we're comparing organs being buried in the ground and rotting vs organs being used to save people's lives....

It's not like we're debating whether old people should be kicked out of their homes at age 70..... we're talking about dead rotting buried/cremated organs....

The government steal our money when we die through IHT- so they could at least steal our organs too.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't exactly a "moral" issue.... we're comparing organs being buried in the ground and rotting vs organs being used to save people's lives....

It's not like we're debating whether old people should be kicked out of their homes at age 70..... we're talking about dead rotting buried/cremated organs....

The government steal our money when we die through IHT- so they could at least steal our organs too.
    I agree with everything you say in favour of organ donation but not presumed consent, in fact I made those points earlier.

I still think it's wrong to presume you can take bit's of somebodies body, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

ReputationRep:
    Then why are they living in Britain?

Well they have other decisions made whilst they are alive, so I doubt this one, regarding when they are dead, is going to be worse?
    Our country is multicultural and not everyone speaks English. To live in Britain you don't need to speak English, especially if you move somewhere where other people speak your language.

As for the disabled the decisions made usually are to prolong their life/make it a better quality, decisions about ethical consent in regards to their beliefs are not that commonplace.

To a certain extent, I think that it should be the family who decide whether or not you get your organs harvested. From what I've heard, it can be a bit morbid, seeing doctors queuing up for body parts.
    That said, I'm on the organ donor register and think that if I have no more use of my organs, then some one else might as well benefit from them.

ReputationRep:
    Whether you're alive or dead, it's still your body and you should have the decision on what happens.

I fully agree with organ donation but I think it's wrong to opt people in at birth... Thousands of opportunities come up to sign up as an organ doner and there are many events to raise awareness. But you should leave the decision to the person. They may have different & personal reasons not to sign up.

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree as I know so many people, including myself who only just registered last night, who have wanted to do it but just never got round to doing it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think they should change the current system (which is you have to opt in to be a donor) so that everyone is a donor unless they specifically opt out. Just how many lives this could save per year is probably staggering!

Anyone else agree? Would be really nice if Government implemented it....

So many people wouldn't mind donating their organs- but don't make the effort to get an organ donor card.
    I totally agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ziggy2252)
    We should have the choice simple. yes ill give my organs. no i will not give my organs. its fine how it is.
    It is obviously not fine as it is, there are a lack of organs available for transplant, and the result is people who could live a decent life are living a death sentence. I would have thought that religious people would be the first to volunteer their organs, but that is the religious fallacy of LOVE.

ReputationRep:
    I have campaigned for people to join the register alongside the Cystic Fibrosis Trust, however I'm not sure whether I like the thought of it being "opt out". I don't know why, I just feel a little uncomfortable with an assumed ownership of organs post-death.

HOWEVER. More people do need to be aware of the register, and there needs to be more chances to sign up. Perhaps it could be part of a lesson in school where each child was educated about the register and then given a form to fill in during class, sealed in an envelope (so teachers/other students can't see what they ticked, ie yes or no) and then sent back to the organ donation people. I'm fairly sure that a lot of people would choose to sign up after being educated about it, and those who don't would be the ones who opted out anyway.

More people do need the chance, but I still feel uncomfortable about assumed consent.

ReputationRep:
    When I signed up to be on the organ donor register it was when it was a section on the provisional driving licence application form. Pretty much everyone has to get one of these at some point and I suspect it is probably on many other official forms too. This is ample awareness, thus I'm gonna have to call bull**** if you are claiming you've never been asked or haven't got around to it, or at the very least you need to pay more attention when filling out official documents.

This is all that needs to be done, none of this authoritarian state opt-out rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    From what age could you opt out though? Is it from birth (i.e. your parents do it for you) or is it later? Cause tbh, both of those options sound ****ed up.

ReputationRep:
    My organs are no use to me once I am dead. If they can be useful to other people after I die then I say go ahead and use them.

(Registered donor).

ReputationRep:
    I personally think when you reach the age of organ donation (18 ?) you should be sent a letter about organ donation. It will of been approved by various bodies and will tell you everything you need to know.

You should then be able to sign a donor form and send it back in a prepaid envelope.

If all you have to do is go to your nearest mail box then anyone that doesn't send it back clearly doesn't really want to.

ReputationRep:
    Opt-in system < Opt-out system < Opt-in system with increased emphasis on ease/awareness/opportunities to register.

Having said that, I might already be on a register but just be unaware, as the guy above said. Which is the only reason I can conjure as to why donation rates would NOT increase under a system of presumed consent.

ReputationRep:
    I think they should change the current system (which is you have to opt in to be a donor) so that everyone is a donor unless they specifically opt out. Just how many lives this could save per year is probably staggering!

Anyone else agree? Would be really nice if Government implemented it....

So many people wouldn't mind donating their organs- but don't make the effort to get an organ donor card.
    I disagree, a donation loses it's point if it is in fact obligated coercion. It also sets a dangerous precedence that the state owns your body, in death and then perhaps in life.

Unacceptable.

I am genuinely sorry for the people born/suffering things that cause them to want replacement organs but everyone is born with the body they get and there is never a guarantee, a right to have other people's body bits.

I'm sure kneejerk moralists and medical practitioners with a cold logical conveyor belt approach to medical practice think that taking people's organs and bodies without their express will is a grand idea, but we already have a situation in this country where medical services are notorious for at best neglecting elderly/terminally ill patients and at worst abusing and consciously trying to get rid of them.

Do you want to live in a country where your beloved grandma, or mother, father, anyone could be 'hastened' on their way to the grave because the local trust needs organs to save a kid or someone rather than offer your relative the best chance at life and best care?

So yeah back to my original point, I guess it's not popular on here, and I'm pretty liberally minded, but I think assumptions over ownership of a persons body, in life or recent death is offensive and dangerous and completely ignores the point of donation.

We may be gone but I look at it this way: If someone doesn't have a right to my body or any part of it in life just to improve/lengthen their own, they sure as hell don't have a right to my corpse right after death. If the law can consider my last will after my passing, than it can consider the fact that unless I say so, my body is for my family and friends to decide to dispose of and mourn.

A system in which family can offer up organs if not forbidden in will and where families can't legally block organ donation by opted in organ donor card carriers is how things should be.

Edit: Also I find the statements like "there is a shortage of organs for transplant" odd and amusing. There is ALWAYS a SURPLUS OF ORGANS because the natural state of affairs is there are no organs whatsoever for donation and people lived and died with the lot they were given.

it's a wonderful thing that transplants exist at all and people should be thankful, instead of getting greedy and treading on peoples rights to their own bodies out of emotional desperation. Mortality is a fact of ALL life, we will all die eventually.

ReputationRep:
    and 90% of the population are not going to sign up, regardless of sending them letters....
    I think that would be true if it was difficult. If it was a very simple form with your details already filled in you just need to tick less than 10 boxes, prepaid envelope. Perhaps a monthly prize draw for all letter returned.

I would be an favour of an opt out system, but people seem to be against this.

ReputationRep:
    Then why are they living in Britain?
    I'm going to be pedantic, but what if they speak Welsh or Gaelic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMuppet)
    My organs are no use to me once I am dead. If they can be useful to other people after I die then I say go ahead and use them.

(Registered donor).
    You do know that even if you are a donor, your family has the final say, right?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 25, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.