Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    I don't really think DR Congo is or has ever been in any position to influence Trans-Korean relations, let alone have any lasting global influence. :lol:
    Lmaooooo

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noobynoo)
    But now stupid America will fly more planes over Korea in retaliation at this threat and we slowly spiral towards a wholly avoidable world war four just because the US is in denial at no longer being the world superpower.
    World war four?

ReputationRep:
    What actually caused all this butt-hurt?

ReputationRep:
    yeah yeah blah blah, nothing is happening

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hslakaal)
    Funny thing is, no one in SK is too troubled by it.

Even my mum and sis are out having breakfast and a cup of coffee atm, and told me no one's bothered when I called :laugh:
    A lot of people seem to forget that NK says **** like this often enough and that the two Koreas have technically been at war since the North invaded the South all those decades ago.

Plus as I keep needing to say, the SK military could defeat the NK armed forces by itself.

NK has nothing but hungry soldiers and party indoctrination. This may mean that there could be a hardcore insurgent element after the war but in the stand-up battle North Korea just loses. Hard. The biggest threat that NK can muster is some artillery fire on Seoul (which I'm sure the SK planners have accounted for), maybe a scorched Earth suicidal nuke detonation (if they even have them I have STILL not seen any material that solidly suggests NK have achieved this, and either way they cannot deliver them) and the financial burden of cleaning up and rebuilding the North following it's quick defeat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noobynoo)
    But now stupid America will fly more planes over Korea in retaliation at this threat and we slowly spiral towards a wholly avoidable world war four just because the US is in denial at no longer being the world superpower.
    World War Four??? Did I some how miss World War Three???

ReputationRep:
    Seems like Kim Jong-un is ****ing up his country's position.

ReputationRep:
    Highly doubtful that such will lead to a world war. China will not wade into the row, for fear of damaging its relations with the United States (its biggest trading partner).

The worst case scenario is a contained "war", simply restricted to the Peninsula and the surrounding area.

On the other hand, anything could happen. A "war" could indeed break out and other countries could use the opportunity whilst the world is distracted. Suddenly Argentina could invade the Falklands; suddenly Israel could take out Iranian nuclear facilities; suddenly Russia could have a confrontation with Ukraine and Georgia; suddenly Japan could take one of the disputed islands in the South China sea; suddenly Germany could invade Austria (yeah, maybe not). The point is, anything could happen from then on - world affairs are not wholly sensible and finely predictable.
    China doesnt have dispute islands with Japan in South China Sea...Diao Yu Island is in East China sea...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccac94)
    World War Four??? Did I some how miss World War Three???
    That reminds me of something David Mitchell said on 9 O'clock Live. How do we know World War 3 hasn't already started? The wars in the middle east might just be the opening shots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Londonburger)
    China doesnt have dispute islands with Japan in South China Sea...Diao Yu Island is in East China sea...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My mistake. I shall rectify. It was late yesterday (I mean today).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    That reminds me of something David Mitchell said on 9 O'clock Live. How do we know World War 3 hasn't already started? The wars in the middle east might just be the opening shots.
    Any world war that may have occurred would have been some sort of economic war. Actual physical war is not exactly in any developed nation's best interests due to globalism.

ReputationRep:
    Question - a lot of people seem to be scared by North Korea. There was that photo recently though which showed they had photoshopped some hovercrafts to make the fleet look massive when it was actually only about 2. They generally make themselves look really good. Does this mean they're a false threat and actually a bit crap? Or are they still a bit dangerous?

ReputationRep:
    Any world war that may have occurred would have been some sort of economic war. Actual physical war is not exactly in any developed nation's best interests due to globalism.
    Well the USA, the UK and loads of other developed countries have been at physical war almost constantly for the last decade. Sure that hasn't been on such a big scale as the World Wars, but there's a chance it could escalate with more countries getting involved. A small chance I hope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc:))
    Question - a lot of people seem to be scared by North Korea. There was that photo recently though which showed they had photoshopped some hovercrafts to make the fleet look massive when it was actually only about 2. They generally make themselves look really good. Does this mean they're a false threat and actually a bit crap? Or are they still a bit dangerous?
    I don't think we have to be too worried. The problem is they seem so unstable. Although there's no chance they could really win a war against the USA, they could do some damage if they tried anyway.

I doubt any civilians here in the UK will ever be under any threat.

ReputationRep:
    US flying stealth bombers over South Korean as a deterrent to the North is just the Cold War arms race all deterrent spiraling all over again.

ReputationRep:
    So..when does this war actually start then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc:))
    Winning a war on their turf may be about as easy as winning a war in Vietnam ie. not particularly easy, but their capability to cause destruction outside of their country is very limited. As far as I know their navy and most of their armed forces are outdated, they have limited but doubtless very carefully stockpiled fuel resources. Artillery bombardment and subsequent capture of Soeul is the main threat they pose, enough to tolerate their crap for decades.

ReputationRep:
    They weren't really at peace though were they?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.