Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Free speech under threat as advertising company "agrees" to remove UKIP poster watch

This is not a free speech issue I think. This is highly offensive to EU migrants and also migrants in general. How would you feel waking up every day, having just moved here from France or some other EU country, and seeing that every morning.

Whilst there is a debate to be had about immigration, we can do it without this kind of message.

Also, I have copied the below from the article:

"Just got an ad company to take down a UKIP poster where we live. After mass emails and calls from community".

So, the community in general had a problem with the message as well.

More like freedom for hate speech than free speech.

Awwwww poor little UKIP

(Original post by Alex_Jones)
    Awwwww poor little UKIP
    They are having a hard time adjusting to a world where they will receive actual criticism, as opposed to a total media blackout on the reality of their 'party' and the ghastly Farage.

I'm sorry, but you've addressed a rant at "lefties" on this site blaming them for the removal of a poster:

1) They haven't heard of
    2) Hasn't been taken down

??? Care to explain
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Too many american films have formed the popular opinion that we have a system of free speech here in the UK. Nothing enshrined by law actually, the only right to free speech we have comes from being in the EU, and I think it should stay that way. The UKIP, I've heard, wants to leave the EU, thereby negating any right to free speech. :lol:

Whilst I'm happy for the UKIP to gain popularity and undermine the conservative vote, I'd rather it was done without them getting a seat and actually becoming a real political party or anything silly.

Not heard about this one so maybe someone can explain it to me.

Who has removed the poster?

Is it a private company, responding to the views of the market?

Or has David Cameron's government ordered it to be removed?
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2013
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.