Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the minimum number of hours sleep can you cope with? Watch

ReputationRep:
    7, although I might not concentrate quite as well as I should.

9 is the best for me.

ReputationRep:
    How any of you getting less than 5 hours a night can function properly is beyond me. If I get 5 hours, I literally feel like crap.

ReputationRep:
    2-3? Absolute minimum. Can't do it all week without wanting to flop though (as evidenced this last week.... I think gap year work is preparing me for uni well!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same, I sometimes get as little as 3-4 hours on weekdays but I'm sleeping until 3pm Saturday and Sunday and holidays - sometimes on a Sunday night I don't sleep at all, so I feel like total crap Monday morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cake Faced Kid.)
    I can do 4 hours monday to friday, then catch up on the weekend.

On the first day of the Easter holidays I slept for sixteen hours, it was amazing.
    What I really enjoy about the sleeps of like sixteen hours if the huge periods of light sleep, where there's a bumload of psychedelic dreaming going on because of the noise/light.

I usually exist on 3-5 hours sleep a night but also every now and again burn like a mother****er and then sleep for 12+ hours a night for a couple nights. Weirdly it's when I sleep for more that I'm much, much more tired.

ReputationRep:
    I've done days with 2/3 before, when I have to get up at 6 and I literally cannot sleep (Ugh, hate those nights)
    But I typically need 6-7 to fully concentrate and not want to collapse and die all day
    I know that's not as much as you're supposed to have but I make up for it by sleeping for an impressive 12+ hours on weekends

ReputationRep:
    I can and do survive on 2-4 most of the time (woo being nocturnal/dealing with mental illness that destroys my ability to sleep), but ideally 6 or 7.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swissstud)
    How any of you getting less than 5 hours a night can function properly is beyond me. If I get 5 hours, I literally feel like crap.
    Easily, I used to have insomnia and I'd not be able to sleep which really sucked.. Then I'd have to get up for work and work a full day teaching on only 2 hours or less sleep. After the day's teaching I'd have university in the evening too.. All in all I'd actually cope extremely well... But then my body would crash at the weekends and I'd sleep all day Saturday & Sunday.

ReputationRep:
    5/6/7 Mon-Fri then catch up on weekends.

Edit: Also, if I have less than 5 hours sleep, I'm more awake once I've got up but have a major crash in the afternoon. I'd nearly fell asleep in a mock exam.

ReputationRep:
    once i did 2 hours, and wow i felt so dizzy half way through the day.

i could cope well with a minimum of 4.

ReputationRep:
    3-4 with significantly less concentration. There's a very good chance I'll catch a cold though. Ideally I should be getting 8-10.

ReputationRep:
    5 hours of sleep, 5 nights a week.

But then I use the weekend to catch up on the sleep so I get about 7/8 hours worth on fridays and saturdays.

ReputationRep:
    my minimum is 3

ReputationRep:
    I can function for around hours sleep a day during the week but once weekend hits i go into 13-14 hour sleeps

Catch up later.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I can function if I get at least 4 hours sleep but I would prefer at least 8 hours of sleep. On college days I'm lucky to get about 3/4 hours sleep since I'm usually up studying or working >

ReputationRep:
    I'm okay with 2 hours if its just for the 1 night. I regularly get 4-5 hours week days and about 10 hours on the weekends.

ReputationRep:
    i need at least 5 hours or i want to attack anyone that tries to speak to me XD

ReputationRep:
    Bear minimum is 2 hours, but that really is the least amount of sleep I can operate with. But even with 2, it feels like the day's just been wasted away because I've took hardly anything in and most of what's been taught that day has went through one ear and out the other.

The good old days involved me getting 9 hours of sleep. At the moment, I get around 5-6 hours on average and that just about keeps me going.

5 hours, then catch up on the weekend. Can do 4 but thats at a push, and i usually require a nap if i'm to then go to the gym

ReputationRep:
    I like 10 hours.

I can't deal with 5/6 hours.

I feel fine after 2/3 hours.

Dunno it's weird, if I stay up all night with no sleep I feel better than if I've only had a few hours and was wrenched from my bed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.