Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How Do You Identify Yourself? Watch

• View Poll Results: How do You Identify Yourself?
    British
    51.47%
    English/Scottish/Welsh
    41.18%
    Unsure
    7.35%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouspie227)
    Yeah it's patrick...
    i meant where he is in that pose screaming without the arms :P

ReputationRep:
    I'd always say English. Probably because I watch football, but England, Scotland and Wales all feel quite different from each other.

ReputationRep:
    English. Bt my dad is half Chinese and I'm a quarter so I guess I am kind of Chinese too idk
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Bluffroom)
    i meant where he is in that pose screaming without the arms :P
    Oh right , well, I don't know if it's from the SBSP movie.. It was just a cool tumblr gif...
    *I'm liking le blog! * (as in yours)

Back to the topic, yeah, british.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right , well, I don't know if it's from the SBSP movie.. It was just a cool tumblr gif...
    *I'm liking le blog! * (as in yours)

Back to the topic, yeah, british.
    Ah ok, I'll do some research then

Thank you :awesome:

Yeah, British.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANB1993)
    Irish.. But there is no option for that haha!
    I was gong to put n Irish down, but them I realised it's not in Britain. Then I decided it would be good to put UK and n. Irish but then I thought, nobody identifies themselves as United Kingdomish. So I just left it. Sorry!

Also Sorry if you're from ROI!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    I'd always say English. Probably because I watch football, but England, Scotland and Wales all feel quite different from each other.
    Nah they're definitely different My ex used to get really annoyed about this - he's English but determined we're all meant to be the same. But then there'd be a ceilidh or a wedding and he'd see people in kilts and get all annoyed about it, like they were dressed that way to make a particular 'I'm Scottish not English' point... But actually they were just dressed that way because culturally it makes sense to dress that way for that occasion, y'know?

Bit of a sidetrack, but yeah :P

ReputationRep:
    It's not who you are underneath but what you do that defines you...

ReputationRep:
    If someone asked my nationality, I'd say British. Because that's what it is. Says so in my passport.

If they asked me where I'm from my answer would depend on who they are and where I'm meeting them. If it's an international web forum, I'd probably just say UK. If I met someone in person, I'd probably be more specific since they'd probably guess I'm English from my accent.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Bluffroom)
    Ah ok, I'll do some research then

Thank you :awesome:

Yeah, British.

*I think those smileys were quite good at communicating my thoughts there* :P

Edit: I meant were not we

ReputationRep:

*I think those smileys we quite good at communicating my thoughts there* :P
    quite :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    I alway describe myself as Scottish or European. I have little to no affinity with describing myself as British and I've always said that since I was a kid.

Always describe myself as Scottish not British/English when I'm abroad - to get treated so much better from free taxi fares in New York to discounts on meals in Italy. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Somerandomstudent)
    I alway describe myself as Scottish or European. I have little to no affinity with describing myself as British and I've always said that since I was a kid.

Always describe myself as Scottish not British/English when I'm abroad - to get treated so much better from free taxi fares in New York to discounts on meals in Italy. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'll give this a try!

Do you think it works because people dislike the British and they don't think you're British (because they don't really know what Scotland is) or do you think they do know the difference and they don't like English people but do like Scottish people?

ReputationRep:
    I can't see the point in introducing yourself as European, purely because it doesn't really narrow it down very much.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm English born & raised from South Asian parents so probably the 2nd option. I mean England/Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland are separate countries anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I think if I was ever asked by someone in the UK, I'd answer with either British or English, depending what came out first, but then specify that I come from Leicester, proud 'Midlander'.

When I'm in France, I say I'm English, then specify, just because the phrase 'je suis anglaise' seems to have stuck with me rather than saying 'britannique'.

ReputationRep:
    British. At the end of the day the country we live in is the UK, which encompasses wales england and scotland. We also share a lot of culture and history, so I see myself as being part of all of that, not just the English part.

ReputationRep:
    English but I have absolutely no problem identifying myself as British, just English is usually what comes out first.

It does annoy me when Americans (for example) say 'British accent' yeah because a Scottish accent is really similar to a traditional English accent?

ReputationRep:
    EUROPEAN!*

Spoiler:
    Show
    not :awesome:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Anyone else noticed how Lib/Lab Euro-bummers have gone decidedly quiet on such matters (European unity/identity propaganda) of late?

British by default, English by birth/culture, Scottish by name/heritage.. I'm always bloody overcomplicating things :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    english

I'm not really sure why I never say I'm british... XD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.