Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So yeah, I farted on a date. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I doubt she'd give a ****, but if she's the type of girl that gets all prissy about a fart then she isn't worth the effort and I'd move onto the next one.

ReputationRep:
    Move to another country, grow a moustache and pretend it never happened

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llessur123)
    Personally if someone farted loudly on a date with me I'd assume they had no respect for me or manners. It's the same if someone kept burping or something similar, why didn't you just go to the bathroom? It's just etiquette really, especially on a first date.
    See this is a prime example of a prissy melodramatic girl.

Did you not read what he said, he didn't do it intentionally, he tried to hide it, but it came out. It happens to us all unfortunately.

She probably felt just as embarrassed as you that it had happened. Contact her yourself, she might just be shy .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foghorn Leghorn)
    See this is a prime example of a prissy melodramatic girl.

Did you not read what he said, he didn't do it intentionally, he tried to hide it, but it came out. It happens to us all unfortunately.
    "Prissy and melodramatic"? No, I was just brought up with manners and he could have easily went to the bathroom. It wouldn't be acceptable in a job interview or a meeting and so it's not a great thing to do on a first date either. I know it's natural but it's something that should probably be avoided when trying to show your best side.

I don't expect a prince charming on a first date or anything excessive but I also don't expect someone to fart/burp loudly in front of me either, it just gives a bad impression. I'm sure most men wouldn't find it particularly endearing either if the situation was reversed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cartman)
    Cheer up!
    I'm cheery. I just don't think it's particularly funny, it's not an awful crime either but it certainly is something you want to avoid when trying to make first impressions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LOFC)
    She looked at me strange and we didn't speak of it, she hasn't contacted me since the date. (yesterday)
    Probably waiting for you to contact her.

ReputationRep:
    You should have acknowledged it and tried to make light of it. Not sweep it under the carpet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llessur123)
    "Prissy and melodramatic"? No, I was just brought up with manners and he could have easily went to the bathroom. It wouldn't be acceptable in a job interview or a meeting and so it's not a great thing to do on a first date either. I know it's natural but it's something that should probably be avoided when trying to show your best side.

I don't expect a prince charming on a first date or anything excessive but I also don't expect someone to fart/burp loudly in front of me either, it just gives a bad impression. I'm sure most men wouldn't find it particularly endearing either if the situation was reversed.
    No you are being melodramatic, you're making out as if he farted in her face. Clearly he let it out thinking she wouldn't notice but unfortuately he was wrong. He is clearly really embarrassed about it and didn't mean it, yet you feel the need to vilify him. If he had done it deliberately to offend her then fair enough that would definitely be bad manners but that clearly was not the case and he is clearly horrified by it.

Had he had a bit of a cold and accidentally sneezed spraying her slightly, nobody would have made a fuss about it and probably would have said it was mitake rather than bad manners. However a fart under similar sort of circuimstance and everyone has a fit. Sensationalised false outrage is actually quite pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    I would have laughed it off. In fact I shall.
    :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I would've probably choked on my dinner due to suppressed laughter.

ReputationRep:
    No you are being melodramatic, you're making out as if he farted in her face. Clearly he let it out thinking she wouldn't notice but unfortuately he was wrong. He is clearly really embarrassed about it and didn't mean it, yet you feel the need to vilify him. If he had done it deliberately to offend her then fair enough that would definitely be bad manners but that clearly was not the case and he is clearly horrified by it.

Had he had a bit of a cold and accidentally sneezed spraying her slightly, nobody would have made a fuss about it and probably would have said it was mitake rather than bad manners. However a fart under similar sort of circuimstance and everyone has a fit. Sensationalised false outrage is actually quite pathetic.
    I'm not outraged and I'm not being sensationalist, I'm just giving my personal opinion which he asked for. I understand it wouldn't annoy some people, although it would annoy others. It was a mistake but she wouldn't know this, if it happened to me I would assume he did it frequently without caring or wasn't really interested in me.

It's just the fact it was on a first date, she might have gotten the wrong impression and I'm letting him know this. He asked for everyones individual opinion, what's the point in lying about mine to make him feel better?

ReputationRep:
    I cant believe people are arguing about farting.

ReputationRep:
    you've 'blown it'

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe people are arguing about something that probably never happened in the first place.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    if you get a second date she's a keeper!

ReputationRep:
    I doubt she'd give a ****, but if she's the type of girl that gets all prissy about a fart then she isn't worth the effort and I'd move onto the next one.
    If she did give a **** then she clearly wouldn't have been that bothered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosaknows)
    I would've probably choked on my dinner due to suppressed laughter.
    That would be the correct etiquette in this situation - pretend it was the laughter that choked you

ReputationRep:
    It's natural... sure it's not polite to do on a date, but hey- im sure everyone has had one "slip out" at an inappropriate time - op if she takes offense then she's a bit highly strung.....

ReputationRep:
    If you were at an Indian restaurant with this date of yours, it's all fair play.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.