Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

External hard drive with windows on it? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephiroth)
    Bah I didn't know you had to do that with it. I don't have an optical writer in this machine. Think I'll just go with the Windows installation disk idea
    ...or extract the ISO image onto a USB pen drive using winRAR (by far the simplest for me) assuming the USB stick has nothing else on it - you can then boot off the pen drive, that also works... just make sure the PC's boot order gives the USB priority

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ss_s95)
    ...or extract the ISO image onto a USB pen drive using winRAR (by far the simplest for me) assuming the USB stick has nothing else on it - you can then boot off the pen drive, that also works... just make sure the PC's boot order gives the USB priority
    Looks like I will have to do this. Just went to put my Windows 7 CD in my old PC to format it that way and discovered I don't have a DVD drive in the machine because I used it in my current one! Hate how older stuff isn't compatible with new stuff, I have like two IDE DVD-RW drives that are just useless. Then again there are adapters.

Edit: Well that didn't work, just gave me a boot error when I tried to boot from USB. Currently setting up Windows 7 installation on USB to try that. Even this isn't going well, creating an ISO of my Windows 7 disk just failed. What a clart this is...

ReputationRep:
    Looks like I will have to do this. Just went to put my Windows 7 CD in my old PC to format it that way and discovered I don't have a DVD drive in the machine because I used it in my current one! Hate how older stuff isn't compatible with new stuff, I have like two IDE DVD-RW drives that are just useless. Then again there are adapters.

Edit: Well that didn't work, just gave me a boot error when I tried to boot from USB. Currently setting up Windows 7 installation on USB to try that. Even this isn't going well, creating an ISO of my Windows 7 disk just failed. What a clart this is...
    Hm. Do you have a spare PC laying around? What you could do is put in the 750GB disk into the spare, install windows 7 through the spare and put the hard disk back into the desired PC? that's always worked as a last resort for me...just a word of advice - make sure you've got the right drivers to install for the PC you wanted Win7 on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ss_s95)
    Hm. Do you have a spare PC laying around? What you could do is put in the 750GB disk into the spare, install windows 7 through the spare and put the hard disk back into the desired PC? that's always worked as a last resort for me...just a word of advice - make sure you've got the right drivers to install for the PC you wanted Win7 on.
    I think I've confused you. I am using a spare PC to try format the spare HDD because disk manager won't do it on my main PC and I don't want to take any risks with other methods. Problem is the spare PC lacks a DVD drive so I need to boot from USB. GParted isn't loading and I can't create an ISO of my Windows 7 disk to put that on the USB drive. Managed to make a Vista ISO however I get the same "boot error" as GParted gave me. Seems the computer doesn't like booting from the USB. I have checked the BIOS and it is set to boot from USB.

I'm not trying to install Windows 7 or Vista, just trying to format the disk but the installation process of these OS will format the disk for you before installation.

Only thing I can think of to try now is to take the DVD drive out of my main computer and shove it in the spare one so I can boot using a real Windows disk.

ReputationRep:
    I think I've confused you. I am using a spare PC to try format the spare HDD because disk manager won't do it on my main PC and I don't want to take any risks with other methods. Problem is the spare PC lacks a DVD drive so I need to boot from USB. GParted isn't loading and I can't create an ISO of my Windows 7 disk to put that on the USB drive. Managed to make a Vista ISO however I get the same "boot error" as GParted gave me. Seems the computer doesn't like booting from the USB. I have checked the BIOS and it is set to boot from USB.

I'm not trying to install Windows 7 or Vista, just trying to format the disk but the installation process of these OS will format the disk for you before installation.

Only thing I can think of to try now is to take the DVD drive out of my main computer and shove it in the spare one so I can boot using a real Windows disk.
    Try using Paragon Hard Disk manager. It's a Windows program, and it's managed to erase every drive I've thrown at it, and it has a 30 day trial, more than long enough.
    Install it, connect the drive up, delete all partitions on the drive, create a new NTFS partition to fill up the drive, done

ReputationRep:

I think you've got a really bad BIOS if booting anything from USB spits out errors - personally I've never had problems on my old Toshiba (my Acer constantly picks up errors booting from the same things as the Toshiba)

Yeah you could always put the DVD drive onto the spare - in which case I still wouldn't recommend using the Windows Vista/7 installation disk. Personally for me, a Linux Live CD or GParted Live CD does the job best, as it gives you a hell of a lot more control over partitions, formats, etc.

If GParted doesn't work god forbid, try an Ubuntu Live CD - while it takes longer to load, it lets you do other tasks while partitioning e.g. browsing, etc etc...essentially test-driving the OS without affecting the PC directly

[EDIT] the Ubuntu Live CD also has similar partition software to GParted so it should be solid as a rock

ReputationRep:

If using winrar isn't working try using unetbootin to extract the ISO, I don't know if it will work with your windows ISOs but Microsoft made a tool to do that.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...emeID.29553000

ReputationRep:
    I went ahead and removed my DVD drive and stuck it in my old computer. Worked perfectly via the Windows 7 installation disk. The 3 posts above came during my work so I only just saw them. I am just using this for backups so one big partition was all I needed. Who knew formatting a hard disk would be so painful?

I could still do with a better power cable for my enclosure however but that's something to take up with the eBay seller. Just glad I have the drive formatted and usable. I think next step is to get some IDE to SATA adapters so that my old PC can have the 120gb HDD I have lying around in it as well as a DVD ROM drive. Will be nice to have two PCs usable.

Anyway thanks everyone who offered solutions.

ReputationRep:
    I thought I was good but still having issues.

Been trying to transfer files over to it and I'm getting pathetic speeds, like 0.4-0.9mb/s. And mid transfer the drive has just vanished now and gave me an error since Windows can't copy to it when it's not there. That happened earlier too but it came back. Disk Management is telling me it is back in RAW file system. WTF?

ReputationRep:
    How well does the drive work when it's being used as an internal drive (sata connection)? If it's ok then the problem is probably the enclosure. A bad controller could explain the slow transfer speeds and errors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TRENDY_TURBAN)
    How well does the drive work when it's being used as an internal drive (sata connection)? If it's ok then the problem is probably the enclosure. A bad controller could explain the slow transfer speeds and errors.
    It was the C drive in my old PC for 4 years and had no issues.

What do you mean by a bad controller?

I've just plugged it back in and it's now recognised as NTFS again. Seems if it's left off long enough it will go from RAW back to NTFS. But it shouldn't be going to RAW in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    It was the C drive in my old PC for 4 years and had no issues.

What do you mean by a bad controller?

I've just plugged it back in and it's now recognised as NTFS again. Seems if it's left off long enough it will go from RAW back to NTFS. But it shouldn't be going to RAW in the first place.
    The chip in the enclosure that controls the drive. On motherboard they're usually part of the chipset/southbridge. The enclosure must have something in it because as far as I know USB and SATA are completely unrelated and incompatible without some sort of adapter.

Sounds like it could be the adapter/controller/whatever overheating then cooling down while it's turned off. RAW is what windows uses to access a drive it doesn't recognise the filesystem of. If the chip is overheating it could be corrupting the data going through it to the point here windows can't make any sense of it.

ReputationRep:
    The chip in the enclosure that controls the drive. On motherboard they're usually part of the chipset/southbridge. The enclosure must have something in it because as far as I know USB and SATA are completely unrelated and incompatible without some sort of adapter.

Sounds like it could be the adapter/controller/whatever overheating then cooling down while it's turned off. RAW is what windows uses to access a drive it doesn't recognise the filesystem of. If the chip is overheating it could be corrupting the data going through it to the point here windows can't make any sense of it.
    Interesting. Maybe it's just faulty in general. Got a feeling the reason the drive sometimes randomly disappears is because of the bad power cable. I rested it in a place where it's firmly in rather than hanging off my desk and it has been good for an hour and a half. Still terrible transfer speeds, only managed about 2.7gb since then. I've got about 300gb to put on it so this is no good. Will get in touch with the eBay seller again. Had no response to the message I left him on Wednesday and I've been patient as it said he's on holiday until yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. Maybe it's just faulty in general. Got a feeling the reason the drive sometimes randomly disappears is because of the bad power cable. I rested it in a place where it's firmly in rather than hanging off my desk and it has been good for an hour and a half. Still terrible transfer speeds, only managed about 2.7gb since then. I've got about 300gb to put on it so this is no good. Will get in touch with the eBay seller again. Had no response to the message I left him on Wednesday and I've been patient as it said he's on holiday until yesterday.
    It definitely sounds like the enclosure's broken. Try connecting it up using another enclosure or inside the computer itself if you can, to confirm it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pratstercs)
    It definitely sounds like the enclosure's broken. Try connecting it up using another enclosure or inside the computer itself if you can, to confirm it.
    I'm not sure I have the cables to connect it inside the computer unless I take my D drive out. But that defeats the point as that's mostly what I want to backup. Don't have another enclosure so maybe I will go inside the PC tomorrow and see if I can connect it.

Could it be an issue with my USB making it slow?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure I have the cables to connect it inside the computer unless I take my D drive out. But that defeats the point as that's mostly what I want to backup. Don't have another enclosure so maybe I will go inside the PC tomorrow and see if I can connect it.

Could it be an issue with my USB making it slow?
    I doubt it. It's probably the enclosure, has the seller got back to you yet?

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it. It's probably the enclosure, has the seller got back to you yet?
    Yeah he got back to me and asked if I wanted a refund or exchange. I asked for a refund but I have just done a test and discovered my computer is at fault.

I tried the USB ports on the back of my computer and I am getting over 20mb/s which is nice, even higher for large files like films. I was down to 30kb/s on the front ports earlier.

So the question now is why are my front USB ports so slow? I self built this so maybe I forgot something.

I am also stupid for not getting a 3.0 enclosure because my computer supports 3.0

Seems the only flaw with this enclosure is the power cable.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah he got back to me and asked if I wanted a refund or exchange. I asked for a refund but I have just done a test and discovered my computer is at fault.

I tried the USB ports on the back of my computer and I am getting over 20mb/s which is nice, even higher for large files like films. I was down to 30kb/s on the front ports earlier.

So the question now is why are my front USB ports so slow? I self built this so maybe I forgot something.

I am also stupid for not getting a 3.0 enclosure because my computer supports 3.0

Seems the only flaw with this enclosure is the power cable.
    You could try connecting the front USB ports to a different header. I can't think of anything that would make some USB ports work and others work but slowly unless it's a driver issue. Plug your mouse or something into one of the front ports and see how well that works.

ReputationRep:
    You could try connecting the front USB ports to a different header. I can't think of anything that would make some USB ports work and others work but slowly unless it's a driver issue. Plug your mouse or something into one of the front ports and see how well that works.
    I've used my keyboard through them since forever. Also use them to transfer files to my phones and USB stick no problem, which is why I didn't suspect they could be the issue. From what I've found on Google it may well be a driver issue. Not something I'm going to look into solving tonight anyway. I can probably live with the inconvenience of having to use the back USB for the HDD to be honest, only going to be using it about once per month at most.

ReputationRep:
    I've used my keyboard through them since forever. Also use them to transfer files to my phones and USB stick no problem, which is why I didn't suspect they could be the issue. From what I've found on Google it may well be a driver issue. Not something I'm going to look into solving tonight anyway. I can probably live with the inconvenience of having to use the back USB for the HDD to be honest, only going to be using it about once per month at most.
    Are all of the USB ports connected to the chipset or are there additional USB controllers on your motherboard? Because they'll use different drivers to each other.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of setup do you have with the keyboard in the front USB ports? If I did that the wires would drive me crazy.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.