Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SannaS)
    I'm not saying other people should have the same beliefs As me, but there's something called respect which I don't think your parents have taught You yet
    Oh snap, sister!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2ndClass)
    No in the literal sense genius. And besides, we live in highly secularised societies that have diluted if not completely destroyed and meaningful influence religion has. What you're "attacking" is nothing more than bullying. I feel particularly sorry for the young impressionable theists who've been taught to respect people regardless of their beliefs (like the op) to come here and become essentially re-educated that you have to browbeat someone because their spiritual beliefs don't necessarily correspond with yours.
    It's incredibly ironic that you use ad hominem attacks and then throw the word bullying about. Regardless, if you believe religion has a small influence then you are naive, and evidently limited in knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying other people should have the same beliefs As me
    Yes you are.

You are saying that unless one agrees that religious texts are not crap that we ought not to have right of opinion and freedom of speech to express said opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Of course people can have their own opinions , but there's something called keeping it in your head

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying other people should have the same beliefs As me, but there's something called respect which I don't think your parents have taught You yet
    Take the Bible, it calls for my death in several places. Now tell me that I should treat it with greater respect than any other text.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Of course people can have their own opinions , but there's something called keeping it in your head
    But you only want people to keep their opinion to themselves if it is against your opinion. If someone said, "the Bible is quite incredible" - would you make a thread demanding this person kept their opinion in their head?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    It's incredibly ironic that you use ad hominem attacks and then throw the word bullying about. Regardless, if you believe religion has a small influence then you are naive, and evidently limited in knowledge.
    Are you really that pedantic to focus your entire response on the fact that I sarcastically called you a genius? and besides don't you see the irony in your own post :lol: And yes I do believe religion has minimal influence in society and this is not coming from a theist.

ReputationRep:
    You have just a much right be offended as people have to say what they like about it.

ReputationRep:
    Are you really that pedantic to focus your entire response on the fact that I sarcastically called you a genius? and besides don't you see the irony in your own post wtf :lol: And yes I do believe religion has minimal influence in society.
    I'm pedantic enough to know that it was, at most, half of my response. And where is the irony? If you mean my calling you naive, then you should remember that I did not oppose "attacking", that was you.

Also, do you know what celebration it is today? That may give you a clue as to the influence of religion on society.

ReputationRep:
    LADIES AND GENTLEMEN shall we all just chill out for a second here?? Sanna you are being a bit sensitive, forums, including TSR will always be filled with views which do not match your own. Not just forums - life. And if you were chilling at a bus stop and someone said that to you, you cannae get a moderator to change anything there.

Point being - if you don't like what someone has to say, or agree with their beliefs, that's too bad. You can either learn to live with the fact people aren't always going to see eye to eye and work around it, or let it bother you. I wouldn't recommend the latter however; there are way too many drinks to be drunk to spend time wishing away the hours.

PEACE OUT BRAH

Gx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabian92)
    You have just a much right be offended as people have to say what they like about it.
    Yes, but not the right to suppress the latter which is what she is demanding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmmpie)
    Take the Bible, it calls for my death in several places. Now tell me that I should treat it with greater respect than any other text.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm sorry but are you confused? Of course I'm not saying you have to agree with the bible but it's not like another book is it? People lead their lives following their holy texts, so I'm saying its offensive to call it crap they can simply said they don't agree with it than critisize it

ReputationRep:
    But you only want people to keep their opinion to themselves if it is against your opinion. If someone said, "the Bible is quite incredible" - would you make a thread demanding this person kept their opinion in their head?
    No because that wouldn't be offensive

ReputationRep:
    I'm pedantic enough to know that it was, at most, half of my response. And where is the irony? If you mean my calling you naive, then you should remember that I did not oppose "attacking", that was you.
    You said that I used ad hominems in my reply then you go on to allude that I'm stupid because I believe religion has a minimal influence in society....there's the irony.

Also, do you know what celebration it is today? That may give you a clue as to the influence of religion on society.
    Yes because Easter has historically entailed scoffing down chocolate eggs..... tell me, were you dragged off by your ears today to attend Sunday service?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but not the right to suppress the latter which is what she is demanding.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but are you confused? Of course I'm not saying you have to agree with the bible but it's not like another book is it? People lead their lives following their holy texts, so I'm saying its offensive to call it crap they can simply said they don't agree with it than critisize it
    That's the point, from my point of view it is just another book. And like all books and all ideas it's subject to criticism and objection from anyone who cares to make them. As books go, it's really not a good one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

It's not like another book to YOU and that's YOUR opinion. Each to their own, really, and this thread is pretty hypocritical. You don't agree with what someone else disagrees with, etc etc.

People live their lives all kinds of ways, but to some, organised religion isn't the way forward. Did Jack and Jill ACTUALLY go up a hill?? Did they really? Because it's written down that they did. Much the same as some people's beliefs on religious books.

I like the dictionary personally. Never fails to teach me something new.

ReputationRep:
    You said that I used ad hominems in my reply then you go on to allude that I'm stupid because I believe religion has a minimal influence in society....there's the irony.

Yes because Easter has historically entailed scoffing down chocolate eggs..... tell me, were you dragged off by your ears today to attend Sunday service?
    That's not ironic. I did not oppose an ad hominem attack; I pointed out the irony in opposing bullying/attacking and then using an hominem attack.

It is a celebration with its roots in religion. The fact that we celebrate it with little religious respect speaks great volumes of our progression away from something irrational and fictional, but does not contradict the simple fact that we do celebrate it, and thus our society is still influenced by religion.

ReputationRep:
    No because that wouldn't be offensive
    To you. Equally, calling the bible crap is not offensive to me.

ReputationRep:
    And why would It even be offensive to you in the first place , by saying something's pod about a holy book doesn't mean it's not respecting your belief as an atheist?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.