Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is the Church getting Involved In Politics... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    Religion isn't really in government.
    Do the 26 Bishops who sit in the House of Lords not count?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed-)
    oh please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    oh please.
    Excellent comeback.

edit;
    I realised you said 'Government'. Yes, the HoL isn't the Government but they still have power (e.g. to propose amendments to laws). And the HoL is a lot more powerful than pressure groups - which you're suggesting is the limit of religion in politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed-)
    Excellent comeback.

edit;
    I realised you said 'Government'. Yes, the HoL isn't the Government but they still have power (e.g. to propose amendments to laws). And the HoL is a lot more powerful than pressure groups - which you're suggesting is the limit of religion in politics.
    this is mere legacy with diminishing influence. The oil lobbyists probably have more influence than the Church.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jturner12)
    I'm really sick and tired of hearing what the Church thinks about national politics on the BBC.... Religion needs to say out of Government! End of.
    Facile clap-trap. Politics touches on every person and entity in this country, and religious faiths are the foremost moral representatives of the majority of this country.

I say that as more or less an agnostic too.

ReputationRep:
    The Church slaughtered millions of people. Fact.
    Thanks for rebuking none of my points and going off on a tangent. Shows the real strength of your argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed-)
    House of lords is just the tip of the iceberg.. they have their fingers in every pie..

I agree religion served a purpose in regards to morality... maybe in the dark ages when we believed ridiculous myths. The problem I have is most people don't give a toss about GOD.. It's basically pompous ceremony and fairy tails.. designed to sell the bible to the poor and needy... why should they get automatic places on panels and seats in the house of lords.. (i think the house of lords should be an elected house anyway.. but )

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sick and tired of hearing what the Church thinks about national politics on the BBC.... Religion needs to say out of Government! End of.

As much as politics need to stay out of the church's business.
    gay marriage anybody?

ReputationRep:
    It makes sense for major groups, such as religions, to have a say in government. What doesn't make sense is why only the Church of England gets this say and other major religions don't.

I'd like to see the Church and State separated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    As much as politics need to stay out of the church's business.
    gay marriage anybody?
    Marriages came from the Church.. it is supposed to be a ceremony in the house of God.. they have civil partnerships for people that don't want to go down the whole Church thing.

ReputationRep:
    More like why is Politics getting involved with the Church.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Law is based on morals, confused one.

ReputationRep:
    The Church has always been politics in this country. Britain is no longer a Theocracy, but the Church still has incredible political influence.

ReputationRep:
    Marriages came from the Church.. it is supposed to be a ceremony in the house of God.. they have civil partnerships for people that don't want to go down the whole Church thing.
    Marriage is a lifelong commitment to another person.

By this logic, shouldn't hindus, muslims, sikhs etc. be forced to have civil partnerships as their ceremonies aren't in the house of 'our' God?

ReputationRep:
    'Involved' is ambiguous. I think they have every right to a public opinion about any issue. I'm gay and I still support the Church's right to speak out against gay marriage or homosexuality in general. However, I certainly don't think they have any more right to be heard above any other British institution (which they obviously still do at present).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selnec)
    Marriage is a lifelong commitment to another person.

By this logic, shouldn't hindus, muslims, sikhs etc. be forced to have civil partnerships as their ceremonies aren't in the house of 'our' God?
    Of course they have ceremonies in the house of god.. not the same god but their own god.. they still have to sign into a legal partnership.. so do Christians... The whole church thing is a celebration in front of god.. and god made Adam and Eve.. not Adam and Steve.. the whole point is equal rights works both ways or it isn't equal, the church have held marriages and funerals in the house of GOD for 1000s of years.. and people want to discard that because they are attracted to animals of the same sex? or because they want to use wacky left wing EURO legislation to get one back on people that dont think being Gay is right... i sense if GOD didn't like red t-shirts the Gay community would have a very red wardrobe.. i smell a chip on their shoulder.. striving for equality is impossible.. look at nature.. every community of Animals has outcast.. leaders.. workers.. runts.. and confused ones that hump the leg off anything.. the world only works because it has order.. and all this kind of stuff does is takes the rights from one and gives it to another.. pointless.

ReputationRep:
    The Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve is one of the biggest clichés going. I mean really.

People want to disregard the church because more British people now have no religion than are Christians. Only 6% of British people go to church regularly. More Muslims than Christians go to their respective place of worship regularly. This mean's the church's opinions are becoming less relevant and more people subscribe to the morals without religion.

Every community of animals may have outcasts, that may be the natural way of being. But is the natural way the best way? I think not- I don't see you running round with no clothes, living in a cave and hunting wild boar. Unnatural does not mean immoral.

What rights would letting two people in a long term, loving relationship get married take away from you? They'd be able to get married if they wanted, and at the end of the day, you'd still be able to get married.

ReputationRep:
    Of course they have ceremonies in the house of god.. not the same god but their own god.. they still have to sign into a legal partnership.. so do Christians... The whole church thing is a celebration in front of god.. and god made Adam and Eve.. not Adam and Steve.. the whole point is equal rights works both ways or it isn't equal, the church have held marriages and funerals in the house of GOD for 1000s of years.. and people want to discard that because they are attracted to animals of the same sex? or because they want to use wacky left wing EURO legislation to get one back on people that dont think being Gay is right... i sense if GOD didn't like red t-shirts the Gay community would have a very red wardrobe.. i smell a chip on their shoulder.. striving for equality is impossible.. look at nature.. every community of Animals has outcast.. leaders.. workers.. runts.. and confused ones that hump the leg off anything.. the world only works because it has order.. and all this kind of stuff does is takes the rights from one and gives it to another.. pointless.
    Who said people want to discard that? No one is demanding that gays be allowed to get married "under god" except where the god of that religion is ok with it.

A civil marriage has nothing to do with god, so allowing same sex couples to have a civil marriage takes nothing away from religious marriages.

ReputationRep:
    Because they think that they still have the power and trickery to change peoples veiws and opinions.

This isnt 16th century england, where they have more power than the king (PM). They should just be silent when it comes to politics and just let their religous believers make their own life choices.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.