Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you have to declare GCSE resits when applying to uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CommonNortherner)
    I achieved 5 A*'s at A level on my first try, but my GCSEs were really bad and I retook about 5 subjects in order to get them up to B's. I was wondering, when applying to uni, do I need to declare gcse resits, and if not, will they look at my profile and somehow find out anyway? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which subjects - I'm really impressed.

ReputationRep:
    I achieved 5 A*'s at A level on my first try, but my GCSEs were really bad and I retook about 5 subjects in order to get them up to B's. I was wondering, when applying to uni, do I need to declare gcse resits, and if not, will they look at my profile and somehow find out anyway? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Some universities, even Cambridge, have sensitivity towards circumstances that do not enable one to achieve their full potential, and I doubt there wasn't something hindering you seen as you've gotten amazing A levels. Don't worry about it, it's the A levels that count.
    "Cambridge does not require a minimum number of A* grades at GCSE." #
    "With the exception of those for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (grade C or above in GCSE Double Award Science and Mathematics), there are no GCSE requirements for entry to Cambridge, and there is no minimum number of A* grades required for any of our courses.
    Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the school/college performance and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE."

From Cambridge's official website. I'm bringing Cambridge up because there's hardly a university as selective as them and Oxford, so if they take you anyone will. GCSE's importance are grossly exaggerated; relax!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashir)
    Some universities, even Cambridge, have sensitivity towards circumstances that do not enable one to achieve their full potential, and I doubt there wasn't something hindering you seen as you've gotten amazing A levels. Don't worry about it, it's the A levels that count.
    "Cambridge does not require a minimum number of A* grades at GCSE." #
    "With the exception of those for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (grade C or above in GCSE Double Award Science and Mathematics), there are no GCSE requirements for entry to Cambridge, and there is no minimum number of A* grades required for any of our courses.
    Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the school/college performance and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE."

From Cambridge's official website. I'm bringing Cambridge up because there's hardly a university as selective as them and Oxford, so if they take you anyone will. GCSE's importance are grossly exaggerated; relax!
    There is . I was a full time carer for my mum from years 7-13. Even with this though, I doubt I'd get into Cambridge :3

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NightStrider)
    Which subjects - I'm really impressed.
    Biology, Economics, Health and Social, Geography, EPQ

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There is . I was a full time carer for my mum from years 7-13. Even with this though, I doubt I'd get into Cambridge :3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caribbeantwist)
    Say for instance I did my English language exam in 2011 in my first gcse year then chose to retake it in my second gcse year do I have to put that down??

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    I'm exactly in the same situation. How did you declare?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.