Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you forgive someone if they cheated? watch

ReputationRep:
    Not a damn chance. I may be 19 years single my whole life, but anyone with the cheek to cheat on me, I wouldn't dare give them a chance to do it again.

If they would do it whilst everything is in a sense, at it's best, what is stopping them from doing it again after a level of trust has been broken?

ReputationRep:
    I'd forgive them but wouldn't give them another chance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Have to admit I would find it very hard to forgive. The only time I have forgiven cheating was at Monopoly.
    Assuming it was a drunken mistake or a meaningless fling, I'm a lot more fine with a girl cheating on me in a relationship than cheating at Monopoly. You need to be a pretty ruthless, competitive person to cheat at Monopoly...

ReputationRep:
    No way. There are many things I can forgive but cheating is a HUGE no.

(Original post by RadioHawk)
    Did once after a while
    She went and did it again ¬¬
    +1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mockery)
    I wouldn't be bothered enough to even stress over whether or not I 'forgive' them. They have effectively ended the relationship and I move on without a second thought.
    This.

And besides, I don't have time for people who can't be committed or putting in the effort.

Might as well get a pet cat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoJessicaAnn)
    No way. There are many things I can forgive but cheating is a HUGE no.
    Just out of curiosity, at what point do you consider it cheating on both a physical and emotional level? And which is worse? To the point that you'd never forgive of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mockery)
    Just out of curiosity, at what point do you consider it cheating on both a physical and emotional level? And which is worse? To the point that you'd never forgive of course.
    Well personally, I've had a friend come to me after finding texts from her boyfriend sent to others remarking that he considers himself single and hopes to get with other people. THAT to me, is as bad as the cheating act itself - to me, that'd be like 'cool, get on with being single then'. I guess thats emotional cheating, in a way. However, when it comes to flirting etc I wouldn't be too fussed (although I wouldn't like to see it). Flirting can be just an extension of being nice and trying to make people feel comfortable and I don't know about other relationships, but my boyfriend is perfectly fine with me flirting in bars if offered drinks etc. He knows I would never do anything and I'm just young and that's something that happens in bars sometimes. Physical cheating for me though is ANYTHING - clearly if you have sex with someone it's worse but I'd definitely still end a relationship over kissing someone else too.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to say no and thought i would always say no but when it happened to me and i still felt so in love with my boyfriend i forgave him :/

ReputationRep:
    Nope! If the guy cheated, he clearly didn't value our relationship. I dont see why I should give him a chance to humiliate me again and break my heart... but then again, never had it happen to me yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did forgive my ex-boyfriend after he cheated on me, or at least I tried to. Having learnt from the experience, I would say I'm never giving a second chance again.

It was very difficult for me to trust him again, and I just put myself through more heartbreak by trying to make it work when the relationship was already broken.

Cheating is hardly ever a random event, it is the result of dissatisfaction in a relationship and there are usually events leading up to it like inappropriate texts and flirting etc. People cheat because they want to. If I ever get cheated on again, I will take that as his way of ending the relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not. My ex cheated constantly and even had another girlfriend that I didn't know about. This went on for 4 years until I developed the courage to show him the door. He made me believe that I couldn't do better than him and no one would ever want me which is why I stuck around so long.

Having had this experience, I would not go back to another cheater.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It hurts really bad when you find out your girlfriend cheated on you. It's a sinking feeling, especially if you've been together for a long time.

I couldn't ever forgive someone who cheated on me.

ReputationRep:
    No I couldn't.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to say they'd be straight out the door. It'd dramatically change everything about the relationship. I value honesty and trust, it'd just break us. I couldn't ever seeing it happen, but if it did, I don't even know how I'd react.

ReputationRep:
    I took back my ex 3 times after he cheated on me, I was so in love that I just pretended it wasnt happening or i'd believe him when he said that the girl had 'forced' herself onto him or that it was my fault becuase i wasnt giving him the love and attention he needed, everytime he cheated he broke a bit of me and i kept taking him back i felt sick whenever i saw a girls name come up on his phone as i knew what he was doing, id sit at home knowing he was shagging some girl i literally look back and have no idea why the hell i put up with this ****. In the end he left me for one of his bits on the side and humilated me and dumped me in the most horrific way. I couldnt walk away with my head held high because i had let myself get into this position, i was being laughed at by everybody i felt such a mug.

So no if my now boyfriend even flirted with another woman he'd be gone and i 100% wouldnt go near him again. Im probbaly more strict than most girls due to what happend to me but i take no **** im his girlfriend there isint room for another woman in our relationship if he does anything that i class as cheating he'd be gone in a flash

ReputationRep:
    Initial reaction is a no. Trust is removed so how could there be a relationship. However, I'm inclined to say that it depends on the person and situation.

ReputationRep:
    No; once a cheater, always a cheater.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TinM)
    Just wondering whether if someone cheated on you, would you go back to them? Personally I don't think there is an excuse for cheating you're either happy in the relationship or you want something else. I mean if my (non-existent) boyfriend cheated on me all hell would break loose and there would be a very low chance of me taking him back, what about you guys?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I forgave my ex for cheating on me with my best mate at a party that I was at...

I don't know what possessed me too haha- I couldn't ever forget it though so because I don't like being possessive or clingy I did end it a week or a bit later.

I still hate her though - got my own back though without being a slut

ReputationRep:
    No, I have too much self respect. If someone cheated on me, the trust would be gone and the relationship would be totally over.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.