Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The subculture of the Facebook/Twitter/Tumblr famous Watch

ReputationRep:
    Stuff like this is part of the reason that Facebook is such a ****e hole these days. The convenience is nice but I should really just delete it and clear my head of all the spam that gets thrown up here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyshamblesxx)
    Who's the guy that got cream thrown on him?
    Jake Mcmanus

ReputationRep:
    What?? I was aware that tumblr famous was a thing, but how can you be facebook famous? What do they do? I fail to see how it works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PointeShoes-x)
    What?? I was aware that tumblr famous was a thing, but how can you be facebook famous? What do they do? I fail to see how it works.
    The subscriber feature

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    The subscriber feature
    I suppose...but how does one become facebook famous? On youtube you get well known if you post good videos, on tumblr you get well known for posting good pictures or whatever, but what is it on facebook? Is it really just people posting statuses and pictures of their lives?

ReputationRep:

First take a look at this. An event where a hated Facebook famous **** gets cream thrown over him in a tumblr meetup in Leeds. A meetup consisting of a hundred or so people who's only aspiratons seem to be how many likes they can get on Facebook.

It seems an apparent subculture in our generation with these type. Almost everything about these people are simular. Same dress sense, same music taste, same shallow minds.

It seems sad that so many of our generation aspire to be like these. And I can imagine this shallow side of our generation can make people feel isolated. It feels to me like everything is revolved around Facebook and Twitter these days so it's no wonder why these people feel a sense of achievement with the label "Facebook famous" or "Twitter famous."

How apparent is this to the people of TSR?
    What are these creatures?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I suppose...but how does one become facebook famous? On youtube you get well known if you post good videos, on tumblr you get well known for posting good pictures or whatever, but what is it on facebook? Is it really just people posting statuses and pictures of their lives?
    And videos really.

The "Twitter famous" ones are the worst, they scour Twitter looking for people to make a mockery of.

ReputationRep:
    The only so-called internet celebrities I've come across are Tumblr famous people, who were by far, the most irritating. They're not as relevant now but a couple of years ago, they were everywhere and they usually self-obsessed hipster brats whose only talents were taking artsy selfies of themselves on their DSLRs and MacBooks. I think the worst part is the way that people suck up to them, like one of them (not naming any names) has even made their own clothing line because people are dumb enough to buy into it.

I think it's just another cop-out way for people to gain noteriety and that's the most annoying part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaaaa)
    The only so-called internet celebrities I've come across are Tumblr famous people, who were by far, the most irritating. They're not as relevant now but a couple of years ago, they were everywhere and they usually self-obsessed hipster brats whose only talents were taking artsy selfies of themselves on their DSLRs and MacBooks. I think the worst part is the way that people suck up to them, like one of them (not naming any name s) has even made their own clothing line because people are dumb enough to buy into it.

I think it's just another cop-out way for people to gain noteriety and that's the most annoying part.
    Olly Riley?

ReputationRep:
    Olly Riley?
    Nah, I've never heard of him. The one I was thinking of is Jamie Ryan Dee but I know there's a few others as well.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, you all find it perfectly normal to follow celebrities.

Hypocrites.

ReputationRep:
    Never heard of this. **** like this makes me feel pretty old.

Why are they dressing in 90s clothes?

ReputationRep:
    It isn't just those websites nor is it recent, it has been going on for years. When I was 12/13 there were 'Piczo', 'Bebo' and 'MySpace' 'famous' people, of course it's very self-indulgent. Social networking enables people to find out things about people they only know of and may not meet in real life, the ones with the most pictures or information get noticed more. I've had these accounts in the past but they're not really 'me' so it doesn't affect me as much. I find it really fake and cringe-worthy how people gain popularity on such sites by revealing personal information or getting into arguments, some of the time they may be useful but that only tends to be on YouTube where they make videos (on subjects). For most it's the mentality that everyone else is doing it, so they want to, to feel better and assure themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Middleton123)
    Never heard of this. **** like this makes me feel pretty old.

Why are they dressing in 90s clothes?
    Because they're hipstahs

ReputationRep:
    Erm I've never noticed Facebook or twitter famous. YouTube partners do annoy me though, as they're mostly young guys with a massive female following and there's a few who have no talent and just video themselves topless or their dull lives.

ReputationRep:
    I hate those sort of people. Hipsters, "swaggers", "gangstas", and everyone else who thinks they're amazing solely because of social networking.
    I've never really met a Tumblr/Facebook/Instagram celebrity in real life - fortunately.

I suppose...but how does one become facebook famous?
    Maybe this can answer your question.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.