Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Car not going into reverse easily, is this normal Watch

ReputationRep:
    My new Micra does that. It sort of slots partially into reverse but you can tell its not fully engaged because lifting the clutch causes a giant grind and the car doens't move. For me, if I partially lift the clutch up a bit to before the bite and try to put it in reverse now it will engage. But this only happens occasionally when starting the car from cold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    It isn't the same slot but it may feel similar...
    If you have, for example, a newer VW you may find you actually need to put your hand on top of the gear lever and press down and THEN move it into the gate.

Some gear levers have an up and down action as opposed to just left/ right and fore / aft.

As another example, a none overdrive Triumph Spitfire requires you to grip the gearlever like a brandy glass, pull the lever upwards and slot it into the third gear position to engage reverse.

Weird, eh?
    My driving instructor had a toyota yaris which you had to do the brandy glass thing with to get into reverse... He took great joy in laughing at me when he told me to put it in reverse and I just looked at him puzzled

OP - try selecting other gears first then reverse. My car does this, nothing wrong with my gearbox, no wear/tear. It's a fiat though which apparently seem to commonly have this problem.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.