Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    4, 2 grandparents, a great-aunty and an uncle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aarora)
    None, I'm not sure how I'd react to seeing a dead body :\
    i'd say you don't see the body at most funerals, i've never heard of anyone i know or my mum knowing who had an open casket funeral. The family normally views the body the night before but i think i would faint and/or scream if i saw my dead gran lying there...

ReputationRep:
    I've been to four funerals. The first funeral I went to was for my best friend's Mum. She'd been having lung problems for a few months and they doctors said shed make a full recovery quite quickly, so it was a bit of a shock. I didn't know how to act as I hadn't been to a funeral before and there were so many people I didn't know - it's a huge family.

The second and fourth were for my grandmas. I didn't know either of then very well and felt a bit guilty sat on the front row with my family when I avoided one of them and only saw the other once every 2 years or so. I didn't particularly get on with either of them. Again, plenty of people I didn't know, but this time they knew who I was from when I was little so it was even more awkward.

The third funeral I went to came as a shock to everyone. A girl I was friends with in my science class had been missing for a few days, and we were told that she had hung herself the Friday prior. Probably the nicest funeral I've been to, so much support for the family and so many people to talk about the memories.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Iv just been to two. I want to my grandads funeral when I was little, I was only 3years old and my great nans last year :'L

ReputationRep:
    One.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    i'd say you don't see the body at most funerals, i've never heard of anyone i know or my mum knowing who had an open casket funeral. The family normally views the body the night before but i think i would faint and/or scream if i saw my dead gran lying there...
    The first time I saw a dead body I couldn't get it out of my mind for ages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    The first time I saw a dead body I couldn't get it out of my mind for ages.
    yeah, i've always stood outside the room when my family go in to view it, i don't want to remember my loved ones as dead bodies

ReputationRep:
    I've only been to one, although I'm not sure you could call it a proper funeral because there was only 4 other people there and the ceremony lasted about 10 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    I found seeing my dead Grandma upsetting but for a rather different reason from normal...

The first dead body (bodies) I ever saw was in the dissecting room at university. The bodies are preserved in formalin, and have a waxy appearance which makes them look different from a freshly dead body. The formalin also has a very distinctive smell, which clings to your clothes. After a year of dissection I was kind of used to it.

Then my Grandma died, and I went to see her at the funeral home. They had used some kind of rose-scented air freshener, but I could still smell the formalin underneath. Most people wouldn't notice it, but because I knew what it was, it really freaked me out, because it was so incongruous to have my Grandma, dressed in her Sunday best, smelling like the cadaver I had been dissecting for a year. I know that our cadavers were probably also someone's gran, and we always treated them with respect, but this made it a lot more personal. I've seen lots of dead people since then, and it's not nice, but I find it kind of peaceful doing my final jobs with them.

However, eerie medic stories aside, you are right that in the UK it is not normal to have an open-casket funeral.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to two funerals, my great grandma's (I was about 4 so I remember not understanding the purpose of the funeral) and my great uncle's (one of the most painful and saddening events in my life. It happened around 2 years ago).

ReputationRep:
    The only funeral I've been to is my boyfriend's nan's, last August. I've been to a few memorials which are similar but not with a coffin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahooper)
    I've only been to one, although I'm not sure you could call it a proper funeral because there was only 4 other people there and the ceremony lasted about 10 minutes.
    :confused: Why was it so short?

ReputationRep:
    Been to two - my nana's and my uncle's.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to 5 funerals,two of those were my parents, one was a great aunt, a great uncle and my husbands god father.

ReputationRep:
    Two. I hate attending them but I go to support others and to grieve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyumadtho)
    :confused: Why was it so short?
    Well it wasn't really a funeral it was a cremation and because my other family members who organised it wanted it to be short and sweet.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to two just this year and one of them was a joint funeral

3 funerals altogether- 2 grandads, 1 nana and my grandads second wife.

ReputationRep:
    9 I think.
    My dad, 4 grandparents, my cousin, a classmate, my uncle's dad and a friend of the family. I've been going to funerals since I was young, I think it's just something you have to do and get used to. You only get one opportunity and it's about paying your respects.

ReputationRep:

No weddings either.

ReputationRep:
    2, my grandmother and my great grandmother

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.