Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should i quit uni make a baby and life on benefits? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Better than You)
    I am on benefits, have been for 12 years, I don't have to sign on, I pay no rent, I can do what I want when I want, I have a full gym membership, I own a car and am able to pay for maintenance, even heavy maintenance repairs, car tax, fill my tank up, we eat out about twice a week and do leisurely things, go on holiday and guess what, I am on benefits http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...491&p=42043570
    I come from a poor city. I know people who have and have had benefits. I've had family members on benefits. You, my friend, are a total liar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    I'm clearly doing something then - I can't get a free car. All these car places want £55 a week for these cars.
    everyone on benefits gets free cars :confused: i wouldnt mind a nice 40k beemer if not ill settle for an audi or summin

ReputationRep:
    No. Whats the point? You might be make be making money with a baby but what will you do as it grows up?

You will need even more money for this baby.

You would be much better off at uni. Think of all the responsibilities you will have if you do decide on getting this baby.

ReputationRep:
    The only people who are entitled to a Mobility Car, are people who receive the full rate of DLA, in the Mobility Component.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessamelia)
    But it's not a way to live your life. Just because other people do it doesn't mean that you should, plus quite a lot of these benefits a getting cut

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why shouldn't it be though?

I'm not saying I agree with a life on benefits but lets face it we only alive for a short time, why waste your life working hard and only be free to do what you want when you're too old to enjoy yourself properly.

If you can be happy living off benefits, why not?

ReputationRep:
    Your belief that you can 'live' your life on benefits is at odds with the reality of the situation - you are provided with just enough money to exist and that's about it. Bearing that in mind you'd be a fool to consider this option; more over you mention bringing a kid into the ordeal too?

The grass might look greener on the other side but working opens up many more doors than sitting on your rear does (unintentionally or otherwise)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CelticSymphony67)
    The only people who are entitled to a Mobility Car, are people who receive the full rate of DLA, in the Mobility Component.
    thank you for your valid comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RtGOAT)
    Why shouldn't it be though?

I'm not saying I agree with a life on benefits but lets face it we only alive for a short time, why waste your life working hard and only be free to do what you want when you're too old to enjoy yourself properly.

If you can be happy living off benefits, why not?
    With all due respect, if we all had this attitude, we would still be in the Stone Age......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FREELANCEDONUT)
    Your belief that you can 'live' your life on benefits is at odds with the reality of the situation - you are provided with just enough money to exist and that's about it. Bearing that in mind you'd be a fool to consider this option; more over you mention bringing a kid into the ordeal too?

The grass might look greener on the other side but working opens up many more doors than sitting on your rear does (unintentionally or otherwise)
    so they dont get lots and lots of money??? i mean from what i heard it sounds like they get £100s a week this is all quite shocking i may need to rethink my plans.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Ziggy2252)
    so they dont get lots and lots of money??? i mean from what i heard it sounds like they get £100s a week this is all quite shocking i may need to rethink my plans.
    No we don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    No we don't.
    Well i knew that, But hopefully some people even one person will read this thread and understand the reality of people who are in a position where they need to claim benefits and that it is not what the media make out it to be.

ReputationRep:
    Your at uni, nearly there stop getting distracted with the easy way out, you'll be much happier in the long term, Might as well make something of yourself

ReputationRep:
    Many of the young mums I know actually want to get back in education

ReputationRep:
    No they don't. A single man living on JSA receives £65 more or less a week. This has to cover his gas / electricity / water rates / food etc... people like this barely survive - there is no money left if he needs a pair of boots or his fridge needs repairing.

You may be thinking about the money such a claimant doesn't see - £55 housing benefit - £12 council tax benefit on top of his £65 JSA.

Having said that, I agree to some extent as another scenario could be someone having 5 kiddies in a row and demanding the benefits - £40 for each kid income support per week £18 child benefit for each kid per week £60 she would have to live off per week - £150 housing benefit per week because she needs a 4 bedroom house - £22 council tax benefit per week; this sought of scenario is not fair and steps should be taken to prevent it being acceptable.

People treat kids like cash cows unfortunately - but do remember people like this don't represent the entire people who claim state benefits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SannaS)
    Your at uni, nearly there stop getting distracted with the easy way out, you'll be much happier in the long term, Might as well make something of yourself
    take a look above your understand

ReputationRep:
    Unless you "cheat" the system somehow, no you don't get loads at all. You get about as much as you need to survive (Some people even struggle with that) and that's as it should be. I don't believe anyone should have to struggle for basic survival (food, clothing, warmth, a home) but if you want anything beyond that, if you want luxuries, you have to pay for it.

You can't just get somewhere to live paid for. If you're in privately rented accommodation, there's a reasonable chance housing benefit won't cover the rent. You have to be in council or social housing to have your rent paid fully, and that means being on waiting lists for who knows how long.

You don't exactly have freedom if you can only afford to survive. You can't just go out and do what you want when you want when you can't afford it. Sadly its the curse of the working world. When you work you have more money to do stuff but not as much time, when you aren't you have all the time in the world, but no money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foghorn Leghorn)
    He's being sarcastic. He's trying to say that people shouldn't get pissed at people on benefits because life on benefits is ****.
    +99999999

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
    Unless you "cheat" the system somehow, no you don't get loads at all. You get about as much as you need to survive (Some people even struggle with that) and that's as it should be. I don't believe anyone should have to struggle for basic survival (food, clothing, warmth, a home) but if you want anything beyond that, if you want luxuries, you have to pay for it.

You can't just get somewhere to live paid for. If you're in privately rented accommodation, there's a reasonable chance housing benefit won't cover the rent. You have to be in council or social housing to have your rent paid fully, and that means being on waiting lists for who knows how long.

You don't exactly have freedom if you can only afford to survive. You can't just go out and do what you want when you want when you can't afford it. Sadly its the curse of the working world. When you work you have more money to do stuff but not as much time, when you aren't you have all the time in the world, but no money.
    so your pretty much saying that the very little amount people get, if they choose to eat properly,warm there homes and use it correctly there is none left over?

ReputationRep:
    so your pretty much saying that the very little amount people get, if they choose to eat properly,warm there homes and use it correctly there is none left over?
    Exactly. My partner is currently on benefits and if they want a treat or something beyond the basics, it means not putting the heating on or not eating as well as they could. Its not an easy ride. Because housing benefit doesn't cover rent they are also in arrears and on housing lists. Luckily, the landlord is decent and understanding... but it's a tough way to live.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by FREELANCEDONUT)
    NHaving said that, I agree to some extent as another scenario could be someone having 5 kiddies in a row and demanding the benefits - £40 for each kid income support per week £18 child benefit for each kid per week £60 she would have to live off per week - £150 housing benefit per week because she needs a 4 bedroom house - £22 council tax benefit per week; this sought of scenario is not fair and steps should be taken to prevent it being acceptable.
    After the second child, you only get £13.40 per week per extra child. (so, someone with 3 children will get 1 lot of £20.30 per week and 2 lots of £13.40 per week)

There are also changes to council tax benefit, meaning that some people on benefits will have to pay council tax.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.