Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do "young" people get so pissed off when they get ID'd? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 26 this year and get asked for id 9 times out 10 I personally don't see the problem I would never go out or to a supermarket without my id and being asked makes me feel young still !! after all, they are only doing their job

ReputationRep:
    It was probably that time of the month, OP.

I rarely get ID'd. During my 18th birthday, I was ID'd once, probably only because I was with people my age.

If I'm ID'd these days, I take it as a compliment.

ReputationRep:
    I got ID'd for a 12 DVD once ... when I was 18. Absolutely no joke.

ReputationRep:
    The only time I get pissed off getting IDd is when I'm ordering a soft drink at a bar. WHY DO I NEED TO BE 18 TO HAVE A PEPSI?!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I can't remember the last time I got ID'd and i'm a 21 year old who looks about 15.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's a bit frustrating when I feel that I look older than 21 (as most shops operate challenge 21). I wouldn't complain about showing ID though as it's hard to take offence at what it essentially a legal requirement.

The most entertaining time was at bargain booze. The girl very politely asked to see ID followed by "I'm sure I've served you here before, but I have to ask.". As it happens I'd never been to that shop before >.< Still, the people in bargain booze always seem extremely polite in the times I've been there since, which is not what I'd expect from a place which prides itself on selling cheap alcohol, but that's another matter.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see what the problem is. I always have my identity card in my wallet, I have to open my wallet to get my credit-card anyway.

ReputationRep:
    My favourites are 18-20 year olds who get really shocked and defensive when you ID them "Ehh I'm 18!" Yes, and I'm psychic you little twit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by po10tial)
    I won't be serving this customer with respect in the near future! Why should I forgive such scumbags.

Respect works both ways. She was uncooperative, rude and to be honest her English wasn't great. She claims she works in retail and yet she thinks it's alright to swear and so on.

Personally, I think that people swear because they know they are weak. I sometimes swear just to look tough, so I know. The fact that she was acting like this, could only lead to me thinking that she wasn't the right age or she was trying to hide something. Turns out, she was JUST over 18 after my manager looked at the CCTV footage. The manager has served her before, but the other workers have complained about her attitude as well. We all gonna treat her bad and we want to bar her but its the boss. He doesn't want any of it, even though cigarettes get you VERY VERY VERY LITTLE PROFIT and so on. We don't want money of ignorant people.
    It's a surprise you manage to keep your job with that attitude. In retail it's all about appearances no-one wants a moody worker. If she comes up to you again you have to respect her because she is your customer, no matter who you're related to. If you want to work at a shop you need to know how to act and get a grip.

How do you know or assume that 'I'm a relative of the boss'?

I may have known him for some time but he is not really blood related to me.

By the way, how was I being rude? She was being extremely rude, and you know how the police are like in this country. If I report her, she has more priority because she's a girl and so on. The police won't do nothing. I have worked with the same boss before at a different store and things were much worse there. I was such a nice guy before, but in retail thats a negative.
    You said you were related to the owner in your original post.

ReputationRep:
    I went into a pub once just for a meal and got ID'd straight away. I was like "whoa, I haven't even ordered a drink yet, I was just going to have bangers and mash and a cuppa" :lolwut:

If you fail to ID a government age-checker you (you personally, not the store) can end up with a fine of up to £5000 and a potential 6 month jail sentence. Not really likely, but if they decide to make an example... these are the possible penalties.

Explain this calmly, explain that it's the law, apologize and ask them to come back with ID. Make it clear that you think it's stupid too, blame the government, whatever - make it clear that you believe them but you still need to see ID because of government checks. Most of them are only "angry" out of embarrassment, especially when there are other customers around.

Just don't be tempted to "let it slide this once". It's not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. How does mystery shoppers work exactly?

Where will they get evidence and so on?
    They try and buy age restricted products and fill out a form which is supported by CCTV in the shop. When MW3 came out a while back, 2 of my colleagues got done for not taking ID. We also get mystery shopped to check we are upselling to meet our targets etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How do you know or assume that 'I'm a relative of the boss'?

I may have known him for some time but he is not really blood related to me.

By the way, how was I being rude? She was being extremely rude, and you know how the police are like in this country. If I report her, she has more priority because she's a girl and so on. The police won't do nothing. I have worked with the same boss before at a different store and things were much worse there. I was such a nice guy before, but in retail thats a negative.
    "Won't work, because the owner's related to me". I presumed owner/boss same person. My mistake but either way, you said you had blood relationships to someone "up high" at the store.

Well you've just admitted your job makes you a not-very-nice guy, in an indirect way. Maybe dealing with people just isn't your forte. Yes she was being rude. Yes she was being unreadable. Yes I won't judge you if you want to call her names. But reporting her? It's just an angry customer. Of course the police won't do anything unless she's torn down half the shop. Angry customers s*** on employees in shops every day. I'm just saying it's normal for it to happen. And you seem to think a hard attitude will make all the change. It won't. There's normally positive correlations between the way people speak to each other. You be nice to a customer, they're more likely to smile at you. You be equally rude, blunt and hostile to a customer thinking you're not standing any crap and looking all respected, chances are they'll be exactly the same back before never returning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arirang)
    I don't mind showing my ID to people if I'm asked. I'm 21 this year, but I'm fully aware that I look about 16, so I don't blame them and sincerely hope that this continues as I get older lol. I don't understand why people get defensive though? If you have ID, show it. If you don't, don't try buying stuff that's age restricted. If you forget, just go again later~
    This. I'm nearly 24 and have got used to be ID'd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ibeatu)
    It's a surprise you manage to keep your job with that attitude. In retail it's all about appearances no-one wants a moody worker. If she comes up to you again you have to respect her because she is your customer, no matter who you're related to. If you want to work at a shop you need to know how to act and get a grip.

You said you were related to the owner in your original post.
    Completely agreed. On the one hand I completely understand and agree with the asking-for-ID stuff. I'm 17 and I've never bothered to try and "get served" because I don't want anyone, and myself, to get into trouble. Believe me, I know how painful it is to try and be polite to customer who is treating you like a tramp and who you secretly want to spit on or something (I know it sounds bad, but it's the truth and everyone thinks it ha). However, that's customer service and if someone doesn't like it, don't work in retail/at a shop!

ReputationRep:
    I won't be serving this customer with respect in the near future! Why should I forgive such scumbags.

Respect works both ways. She was uncooperative, rude and to be honest her English wasn't great. She claims she works in retail and yet she thinks it's alright to swear and so on.

Personally, I think that people swear because they know they are weak. I sometimes swear just to look tough, so I know. The fact that she was acting like this, could only lead to me thinking that she wasn't the right age or she was trying to hide something. Turns out, she was JUST over 18 after my manager looked at the CCTV footage. The manager has served her before, but the other workers have complained about her attitude as well. We all gonna treat her bad and we want to bar her but its the boss. He doesn't want any of it, even though cigarettes get you VERY VERY VERY LITTLE PROFIT and so on. We don't want money of ignorant people.
    Let just hope you don't try to set up your own retail business and treat your customers in the same manner you speak of here! I would fire you on the spot for this kind of talk, very unprofessional! quit yapping on the internet and get a life....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leighcakes)
    If people want to go out and buy alcohol/fireworks/cigarettes/other restricted items, then they should have ID. It's not difficult to carry a provisional license around, or even a citizencard. I'll never understand it. :confused:
    If you've bought from the same place before on several occasions and never been ID'd or you have already provided your ID then I can definitely understand how that can happen.

I had to show my ID once in a shop, fair enough it's the law etc. Then about a week later I went back, same person on the till, "got any ID?" :confused: I explained he'd served me last week and he said he knows but he still has to ask for ID. I was absolutely raging. I'm sure some people do this just for ****s and giggles.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I work in a store and today I had a very abusive customer.

Was a girl and she became extremely abusive when I ID'd her and said that 'the owner and a younger boy (A MASSIVE LIE) had served her before and that if I call them they will confirm that she is over the legal age'.

It became obvious that she lied as soon as she said that a younger boy served her. In fact I am the youngest member of staff. When I told her that she said that the 'young boy' was shorter than me and looked 'older'. She completely contradicted her point and she swore at me in front of other customers.

Eventually she left by threatening me that she would tell the owner of the store. Won't work, because the owner's related to me and I have been working here for a year now. I'm an asset to this store.

My manager eventually came back from his lunch break and I told him the incident. Turns out, the girl is of legal age and he said that she has been abusive to other members of staff.

I don't get why she comes her when there are like 5 other shops just across the road. I for one, really hate serving very rude people. I was being polite and asked her nicely if she could provide me with ID. She failed to do just that
    because its annoying when you are 28 and randomly cant buy something because you are asked for ID even by people 10 years younger than you lol. A few years ago a store wouldnt let me buy chocolates because they had alcohol in them and I also couldnt buy a plastic knife.

Its not just this but when Ive been asked for ID in the past its sometimes been in a rude way. An older woman was putting my stuff through the checkout and when she got to the wkd's she just said ' err do you have ID for these' and looked at me with her eyebrows raised as though Id done something wrong.

2 years ago an old bloke was serving me and asked me for ID for a film rated 15. I told him I didnt have ID and that I was 26. He said 'well you certainly dont look it thats for sure'. I had to leave the dvd and he kept glancing at me over his glasseses as I was getting the rest of my stuff. I felt like Id done something wrong.

I went for a drink with my family in a pub before a concert 2 years ago and I had a wkd bottle. My family were leaving so I grabbed my wkd bottle to take out with me as I hadnt finished. The owner came over and said 'do you have ID, you are not going anywhere with that if you dont'. My family came over and he said to my aunt 'she doesnt look 18 to me'. My aunt said 'shes not 18 shes 26'. By this point people were staring, I showed him ID and he still didnt seem happy. Its liek I feel guilty for buying alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    I remember in Tesco a man clearly 50+ was ID'd for vodka. It's always women who do it. Maybe hormones.

The day they stopped aking for my ID was the saddest day of my life

ReputationRep:
    What a berk. I quite like being ID'd, I've only been 18 for about 2 months so it's nice being able to say "Why yes, yes I am of age!"

I still get a fear of it being rejected, and them saying "This isn't your ID, clear off" though

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.