Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people look down on sociology degrees? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CommonNortherner)
    It's been said really. It isn't particularly a hard degree and the job prospectus isn't great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This, the job prospects link lists a lot of jobs that have specific courses attached to them, someone who has a social work degree would more likely get a job as a social worker than someone who has studied sociology.

ReputationRep:
    Because what the system needs is cogs who add up sums. Sociology is very difficult, important and rigorous, the problem is that it's fuzzy, that is, the system is too complicated to discuss reductionistically. That means you can make up any old twaddle and as long as it's well argued nobody will be able to point to any concrete evidence that you're wrong. People are suspicious of this sort of subject for that reason. Also the whole edifice depends on vague and abstruse vocabulary for things which only exist conceptually, which means half the researchers are talking at cross purposes.

ReputationRep:
    No actually, we should have the same respect for all sciences. Physics discovers the laws of the universe, Biology discovers how living things function, economics discovers the behaviour of economic variable and sociology discovers the behaviour of society. All of them need substantial research. Just because econ, physics and chem have Maths does not make them anymore difficult then others. In fact, sociological studies have a scientific approach and do tend to combine econ, psychology, politics and even biology.

ReputationRep:
    For my part, I lived with a someone studying sociology and, as a chemist, our workloads just weren't comparable. I had far more work.

I respect the field a lot but as a degree, from what I observed, the workload was fairly light.

ReputationRep:
    I think the largest reasons are financial. The jobs simply aren't out there for sociology grads. And in an age of austerity cuts, the jobs in government services to which such grads usually go are disappearing, not just remaining steady. If you really do want to work in social services, it's probably better to specialize in something else but still work in the industry. Tech degrees come to mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areebmazhar)
    Because they're not as difficult as English, Maths, Science, engineering, medical etc degrees, and that is a fact.

Come at me negs, rep means nothing to me!
    I beg to differ. I have a maths degree but I did a post grad that involved sociology, psychology and philosophy and they're not easy subjects. They're interesting though but by no means easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malteser87)
    I beg to differ. I have a maths degree but I did a post grad that involved sociology, psychology and philosophy and they're not easy subjects. They're interesting though but by no means easy.
    Ooh, I'm doing chemistry as a Bsc, and that sounds like my kind of post grad. What exactly did you do for it?

ReputationRep:
    Some interesting responses on here, do any of you also have any answers on the following:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2306956

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Because what the system needs is cogs who add up sums. Sociology is very difficult, important and rigorous, the problem is that it's fuzzy, that is, the system is too complicated to discuss reductionistically. That means you can make up any old twaddle and as long as it's well argued nobody will be able to point to any concrete evidence that you're wrong. People are suspicious of this sort of subject for that reason. Also the whole edifice depends on vague and abstruse vocabulary for things which only exist conceptually, which means half the researchers are talking at cross purposes.
    Okay, that's a little depressing :P.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SummitOfReason)
    Ooh, I'm doing chemistry as a Bsc, and that sounds like my kind of post grad. What exactly did you do for it?
    I did a post grad in education, masters level.. It was very interesting but difficult because those subjects are not easy.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, that's a little depressing :P.
    Don't worry, it's only a job and you get paid for it. Mindless work sounds like heaven to me. The **** bit is all the bloody office politics...

ReputationRep:
    Because they've never had the experience of studying for a degree in sociology, partly.

It's also that despite the clear impact sociology research and understanding has on society, it's more difficult for the average person to see if they don't study in that area, compared to say computer science, where people immediately think of PCs, gadgets, supercomputers, etc.

ReputationRep:
    from my experience, graduates tend to have poor employment prospects in sociology

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, is Politics considered in the same boat as Sociology? I say that because I'm mainly interested in political sociology...

ReputationRep:
    I want concrete reasons why, and none founded on ignorance
    Most people seem to find it unessential. On the other hand the majority of people are ignorant, bigoted and not essential themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You!Me!Dancing!)
    Out of interest, is Politics considered in the same boat as Sociology? I say that because I'm mainly interested in political sociology...
    Two sides of the same coin. Both, if taught properly, open your mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I discard it to some extend not because of difficulty point which is very arguable but simply because you never know whether you indeed found something out. Every sociological research method has so significant disadvantages that its just impossible to conclude something for certain. Most of them (findings) are determined by the perspective of the researcher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassassin04)
    I discard it to some extend not because of difficulty point which is very arguable but simply because you never know whether you indeed found something out. Every sociological research method has so significant disadvantages that its just impossible to conclude something for certain. Most of them (findings) are determined by the perspective of the researcher.
    I get your point, but should this mean we should abandon social science altogether? And if anything, this makes it more difficult to study as a degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You!Me!Dancing!)
    I get your point, but should this mean we should abandon social science altogether? And if anything, this makes it more difficult to study as a degree.
    No, I don't think social sciences should be abandoned completely. There is some use of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassassin04)
    No, I don't think social sciences should be abandoned completely. There is some use of them.
    You didn't study English did you?

The thing about sociology and the other social sciences - including economics - being commonsense only stands up so much. When concepts such as labelling theory, conformity and price elasticity were coined years ago they were not common sense, they were radical. The idea that someone could be disadvantaged merely on the basis of how we percieve them as being different to us was radical, there are things that have similarly come from the natural sciences tbat are also, today, commonsense.

People often dismiss social science - paticularly sociology- as it often challenges very deep rooted ideas about how they see both themselves and the world. Sociologists reject commonsense notions and look under the surface to establish where these have come from. Their theories are not made up down tbe pub eitber. Like natural sciences sociologists develop hypothesis and test these.

Someone has described sociology as left wing economics, this is a nonsense, there are right wing sociologists and left wing economists.

Having an A level doesnt qualify you to speak about subjects you know nothing about.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.