Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gutterflower)
    Yes, 'The Chair' is 5"2 but it has a 6" ditch on the take off side that's 3" deep. That's not a usual jump for a horse, surely? It is the amount of horses but also the design of the field and jumps.

I didn't say they saw it differently, just that I'd prefer to see them racing in natural, safer environments than the one provided by the Grand National. I never said the horses understood or made decisions, that's precisely my point, they can't! So why subject them to a crowded, dangerous race?

The long and the short of it is, prior to this year, there were too many equine fatalities and I despise the sentiment that the Grand National is an 'Extreme Sport'.
    i think the rest of it (i cant be bothered to google) is 3ft long so all together a nine foot wide jump.
    My 13.3 show jumping pony could jump ten foot across. For a 16hand thoroughbred with a 20ft gallop stride thats fine as the thousands of horses that got over it safely show. And eventers and showjumpers often face similar sized jumps.

That said the ditch doesnt need to be as deep. Ive always found really deep ditches sort of pointless, you can do just as well by taking a foot of that, so any horse falling into it has a far better chance.

But then you come back to the point that if they didnt like it they would then stop. Thoroughbreds are known for their love of galloping and jumping, even the ones not used as racehorses.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.