Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Male dominance still present in society? Patriarchy watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goodbye)
    Have you watched the film bend it like beckham? That's a strong example, they don't let her play football because she's a girl.
    At what level?

You do know that women's professional football does exist, right? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaoshi)
    The fact that systematic oppression and discrimination is brushed away as "boys will be boys", "it's evolutionary", "they can't help it", "it's just how things are", proves that it is. No other -ism in society would be so protected or casually labelled as inevitable and moved on from.
    Hear hear!

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely, almost every strata of business, government, development and society is governed or predominately represented by Men.

There will of course be exceptions in many circumstances, but the trend is clear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark Horse)
    At what level?

Yes and it's funded, attended and respected just as much as --

Oh wait.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syrokal)
    Yes and it's funded, attended and respected just as much as --

Oh wait.
    Sorry but people pay for whatever they feel will be the best entertainment.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but people pay for whatever they feel will be the best entertainment.
    Damn right they do.

And rightly so, I have never seen a female Athlete or team I prefer watching more than a male.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, sadly, I think male dominance is still present - the UK has still only had one female PM, and the US is yet to have a female President.

Happily, I think male dominance on the way out, and that once it's gone, it will stay gone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ynang)
    Yes, sadly, I think male dominance is still present - the UK has still only had one female PM, and the US is yet to have a female President.

Happily, I think male dominance on the way out, and that once it's gone, it will stay gone!
    Women in government is different though as they are elected. If people wanted more owmen in power then they would vote for them. Also far more men are going to be interested in politics than women (though not sure if this trait is due to natural brain differences or social pressures).

ReputationRep:
    At what level?

Yes but I'm talking about her individually, HER family weren't exactly happy that she picked up a hobby that was football. If it was a guy, they would have let him go ahead with much less hesitation And is womens professional football enjoyed as much as mens?

ReputationRep:
    At what level?

Is womens football = to mens football , you don't see seats full at womens football.

ReputationRep:
    definately, if not then blogs such as the Catalogue of a Bar-Maid or The Everyday Sexism project wouldn't exist but they do and many women of all ages empathise them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foggy-rain)
    Is womens football = to mens football , you don't see seats full at womens football.
    People will pay to watch what they feel is the best entertainment.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but I'm talking about her individually, HER family weren't exactly happy that she picked up a hobby that was football. If it was a guy, they would have let him go ahead with much less hesitation And is womens professional football enjoyed as much as mens?
    At the end of the day, it was her choice. No one can stop the girl playing football. For all people try to influence others and project onto them, they can't control someone else at will.

And if not as many people buy tickets to attend womens football matches, then they obviously feel that they would not be entertained as much as they would if they attended a mens football match. Just the same principle applies when people decide to go to Premiership football matches rather than League 2 football matches. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day, it was her choice. No one can stop the girl playing football. For all people try to influence others and project onto them, they can't control someone else at will.

And if not as many people buy tickets to attend womens football matches, then they obviously feel that they would not be entertained as much as they would if they attended a mens football match. Just the same principle applies when people decide to go to Premiership football matches rather than League 2 football matches. :rolleyes:
    They did make her depressed at first and made her feel that it was a mans game.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    They did make her depressed at first and made her feel that it was a mans game.
    You know, if I did witness such a situation it would indeed infuriate me. Although for extremely different reasons, I have to say. I don't look at everything through a Men vs. Women perspective.

And also, I really don't see what you're trying to achieve in collecting confirmations from TSR members that we live in a male dominated society.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, unfortunately male dominance still exists.

ReputationRep:
    You know, if I did witness such a situation it would indeed infuriate me. Although for extremely different reasons, I have to say. I don't look at everything through a Men vs. Women perspective.

And also, I really don't see what you're trying to achieve in collecting confirmations from TSR members that we live in a male dominated society.
    Hi,
    I'm not collecting confirmations from TSR members, as you can see this is a debate, in debates we have to ask questions to points given.

I'm just challenging your points and I can see that you have nothing more to say sir which is fine.

ReputationRep:
    Being the 21st century, 2013 we wouldn't really accept the fact that there is gender inequality but Is Male dominance still present in society?

0<x>140
    It's all a question of definition. In Western countries are there any legal bars on full equality for women? No.

But men continue to overwhelmingly dominate politics, law, the military, the university system, etc.

I actually don't think we're doing too badly, considering it's only within the last 100 years that women have obtained their right to vote, and comparing that to all the rest of human history where men have completely dominated (with some exceptions).

Humanity is changing slowly, but it's changing.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm not collecting confirmations from TSR members, as you can see this is a debate, in debates we have to ask questions to points given.

I'm just challenging your points and I can see that you have nothing more to say sir which is fine.
    All you've really done is tell me some story about a girl being depressed because someone said she shouldn't play football. I wouldn't call it a debate, lmao.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.