Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RowingGoose)
    Break it down into a monthly wage and that'll help you work it out. My first month's salary was £1200 before tax (that would be a 14k job).

Then you get taxed so I got £987 after tax.
    My rent is £300 a month (sharing with another girl), council tax £83, so that left about £600 for bills and food. I could live quite well on that.

It was only when I got paid £550 after tax one month that I had trouble - I had to take money out of my savings to pay and basically spent nothing except bills and used my tips for food and transport to work. (I'm a waitress atm, and have a degree. Some jobs I apply for, there are 150+ applicants so you really have to do extra things at uni to stand out!!)
    Oh wow thanks for clearing that up Argh tax is a ***** isn't it? Yeah I'm intending to not laze about and actually get up to doing various things during my course. Thanks again and good luck with the job hunting. Might I ask what degree you have?

ReputationRep:
    I’m currently on £17.5k in Central London, and only then if I work all year without holidays or sick leave, neither of which are paid. I left Oxford in 2011 with a First.
    Not sure where it all went wrong for me. Should probably have gone to those corporate law and investment banking seminars that other people seemed to know were happening.
    Hey ho, back to uni.

ReputationRep:
    £24-31k after training.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twinkazz)
    Well, when I started uni (2007) I was promised above 27k as a starting salary. Then the recession struck.

Realistically you should be very pleased with over 20k, though once your foot is in the door you can climb pretty fast.

I started on 21k and after a year I'm now on 25.5k

Go NHS!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow, nice promotion

ReputationRep:
    £55 a week.

I'm a dole dosser. And you foolish *******s are gonna pay for me and I love it!

ReputationRep:
    I still have no idea what I would like to do as a career, but hopefully I'll get enough to live comfortably and have a few luxuries.

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer for £32k... So I expect to earn 32k.

ReputationRep:
    Teachers start on £21-22k, so around that ballpark

ReputationRep:
    I expect to earn about £21000 and after a couple of years I plan to move to Ottawa where I'd eventually earn around a minimum of 40k and where the cost of living is cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    What are you aiming to do?
    In first year of dental school, starting salary for dentists is generally 30-35k during the VT year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by playingcards)
    I’m currently on £17.5k in Central London, and only then if I work all year without holidays or sick leave, neither of which are paid. I left Oxford in 2011 with a First.
    Not sure where it all went wrong for me. Should probably have gone to those corporate law and investment banking seminars that other people seemed to know were happening.
    Hey ho, back to uni.

It will get better, a lot of it's to do with the recession. You have positives going for you; a first class degree, you ARE working so that gives you experience of the work place. Employers prefer those already in work to those who are unemployed. Keep looking, you'll find something better eventually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    In first year of dental school, starting salary for dentists is generally 30-35k during the VT year
    Cool, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    After my electrical engineering apprenticeship my starting salary will be around 23K and can rise with promotions. I'm happy with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkhamz)
    Oh wow thanks for clearing that up Argh tax is a ***** isn't it? Yeah I'm intending to not laze about and actually get up to doing various things during my course. Thanks again and good luck with the job hunting. Might I ask what degree you have?
    That's no problem

Thanks too, I have a psychology degree. I think when I chose to do it, I just wanted to study it more in depth than A level and just to get away from home to be honest! It's just what everyone did then. But now I sorta regret not doing a specific degree such as pharmacy where you have higher job prospects.

Don't get me wrong, having a degree is great on your CV and I've learned so many skills and grown so much but I lack experience in an office role which lets me down for applications. On the other hand someone who left school at 16 with GCSEs and got an admin job will have 5 years experience over me!

What degree are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RowingGoose)
    That's no problem

Thanks too, I have a psychology degree. I think when I chose to do it, I just wanted to study it more in depth than A level and just to get away from home to be honest! It's just what everyone did then. But now I sorta regret not doing a specific degree such as pharmacy where you have higher job prospects.

Don't get me wrong, having a degree is great on your CV and I've learned so many skills and grown so much but I lack experience in an office role which lets me down for applications. On the other hand someone who left school at 16 with GCSEs and got an admin job will have 5 years experience over me!

What degree are you doing?
    Oh that's nice, psychology is actually really interesting, well.... early development not so much. Ah well that's understandable, I know of people who are in careers that they don't really like and just do it for the £ /higher job prospects. I think getting a nice balance of high pay/prospects and enjoyment is the thing people should be aiming for.

Well right now I'm not doing a degree unfortunately. I dropped a subject at the start of A2 last year and took up AS psychology to get more ucas points(which I'm completing as an A level this june) but I've gotten offers for biomedical science. Though I think that was pretty hypocritical of me as I'm not that much of a fan of repetitive lab work.

"On the other hand someone who left school at 16 with GCSEs and got an admin job will have 5 years experience over me!" :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sagga)
    Between £33k to £36k.

That is the average for my degree from a top uni.

Warwick computer science student.
    I love these threads it shows the delusion of student people... in general.

Like the money is only (@ that level) what you would earn if you secured the offer with the baller company etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebam_uk)
    I love these threads it shows the delusion of student people... in general.

Like the money is only (@ that level) what you would earn if you secured the offer with the baller company etc.
    I'm speaking from experience. Friends and relatives who have done the same course like mine, had that starting salary. I'm just quoting their figures...

ReputationRep:
    As a Radiographer I will start on Band 5 which is £21,388 and then it increases each year for 8 years to £27,901. I am hoping to eventually get to the top of Band 6 which is £34,500.

Band 7 is also a possibility depending on what path I take once I start the career and if I do any post grad courses but I would be more than happy with Band 6.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by razzmatazz rach)
    As a Radiographer I will start on Band 5 which is £21,388 and then it increases each year for 8 years to £27,901. I am hoping to eventually get to the top of Band 6 which is £34,500.

Band 7 is also a possibility depending on what path I take once I start the career and if I do any post grad courses but I would be more than happy with Band 6.
    8 years to get to that???! i thought radiographers get way more

ReputationRep:
    starting salary for a mechanical engineer £25k-£32k then after few years (3 -5 years of working) £35k-£45k.

5 years or more £50k+

obviously this depends on what company, if you manage to work for the big firms you'll probably be on £50k or more

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.