Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What A-Levels to choose if I want to study law at Cambridge University? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The type of subjects you study now, can also influence the law specialities that you gravitate towards later. For example you'll find a lot of people with science backgrounds who do intellectual property, maths doing ICM or banking law, economics doing commercial law, IT doing IT & Telecommunications law, etc.

In legal practice, we don't have to write a lot of essays (though we do need to be able to write well) - but we do need the ability to get our heads around a lot of unfamiliar concepts quickly. You might have 50 company clients at one time whose businesses all do different things. I think it's great that lawyers come to the law having studied a variety of subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laraali1)
    Maths is always a strong subject to have.
    English and German are also very strong.
    If you're good at Geography + you like it, definitely take that as well.
    Those 4 subjects are an extremely strong set, and with good marks, you're a definite candidate.

What matters in Law is not that your subjects be all essay based etc (plenty of people get into Law at Oxbridge with sciences) it is that you can get A*/A in all your subjects.
    And then you have to perform well at the interview. (but that isn't important now haha)
    Thanks for your advice. Please could I just know what your source for this information is?

ReputationRep:
    My friend got an offer of A*AAA (A* had to be in Maths or Chemistry).
    He took, Maths, Chemistry, Geography and Law and ended up with A*A*AA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meganedwards)
    Thanks for your advice. Please could I just know what your source for this information is?
    Really can't pinpoint it to one place.
    I mentioned in another post somewhere that a few universities actually have lists of "non traditional" or "soft" subjects that they would rather you didn't take. So that's how you know Maths, Languages, Sciences are strong..

Cambridge's prospectus (as well as most others) says no subject preference for Law, and asking admissions tutors/ current students/ statistics, you can see that plenty of people come from scientific backgrounds.
    I believe it was Churchill College at Cambridge that had a page dedicated to what A Levels to take for law, and they said some of their best students had purely scientific A Levels.

General consensus among students and universities alike is that Maths is always a bonus on your application, because it is useful in almost any field.

Sorry I can't send you to a specific page with all this info because this is just stuff that I have gathered over the past couple of years from my own experience and research.

ReputationRep:
    Would Maths, Further Maths, Economics, History and English Lit. to AS be a good choice of A Levels? I'm also taking Chinese Mandarin A Level on the side as well.

I don't know if its a good enough mix for Law?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaggieKan)
    Would Maths, Further Maths, Economics, History and English Lit. to AS be a good choice of A Levels? I'm also taking Chinese Mandarin A Level on the side as well.

I don't know if its a good enough mix for Law?
    Yes it's fine - bit mad though. Are you sure you won't be overstretching yourself? Quality of grades is more important than quantity of subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crumpet1)
    Yes it's fine - bit mad though. Are you sure you won't be overstretching yourself? Quality of grades is more important than quantity of subjects.
    My Chinese A Level will be finished by year 12. I'm not too sure though. So I'd be taking 4 actually at my sixth form. Is that too much to take on?

I'm taking 16 GCSEs at the moment, and it seems to be going fine, but I guess A Level is much different.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy is worth considering, the critical thinking and the fact it centres around assessing the strength of arguments makes it a good choice if you think you'll enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meganedwards)
    I am currently in year 10 thinking about my career choices. I want to study law at Cambridge university and at college I am thinking about studying:
    - English literature
    - Maths
    - German

And I am not sure about my fourth choice. Are these suitable or are there better courses for me to take to study law at Cambridge university? If it is relevant I want to be a barrister.
    Have you even finished/started your GCSES yet?! Bit too early to be aiming so high. Sorry to shatter your dreams, sweetheart. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I you haven't already, it might be useful to have a look at what Cambridge say themselves.

Quoting from the Course Requirements section of the following webpage (http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...y-Requirements)

"Essential No specific subjects

Many A Level (or equivalent) subjects provide a good grounding for the study of Law at university, and Colleges have an open mind about the subjects that are a sound preparation.

Good applicants tend to have taken subjects at A Level (or equivalent) that develop a careful, analytical approach to reading and which require them to present information in a way which is well structured and thoughtfully argued. In our experience, applicants with backgrounds in Mathematics and science subjects perform as well as those whose background is in humanities subjects. Many Colleges are pleased to see applicants with a mixed background in these subjects.

Applicants are not required to have studied Law at GCSE or A Level. Those who have done so tend not to have any special advantage once they begin studying Law at university. Academic subjects other than Law will generally provide a solid foundation for the course, as well as giving a desirable breadth of experience."

I hope this is helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaggieKan)
    My Chinese A Level will be finished by year 12. I'm not too sure though. So I'd be taking 4 actually at my sixth form. Is that too much to take on?

I'm taking 16 GCSEs at the moment, and it seems to be going fine, but I guess A Level is much different.

It sounds as though you'll manage four just fine. Good luck with your GCSEs!

ReputationRep:
    If I were you I would choose:
    Maths
    English Lit
    Any science (I suppose Chemistry would be better)
    German/Geography

You do not need to take law at A Level to take it for degree. Gl, hf

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking Maths, English Lit, Biology and Music wanting to do law at uni. I've got a friend who's doing all three sciences and maths and another who's doing English Lit, History, Latin and French. Honestly law applicants probably have the most diverse range of A level subjects just pick what you're good at and enjoy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crumpet1)
    It sounds as though you'll manage four just fine. Good luck with your GCSEs!
    Haha I hope so. Hope it doesn't end up feeling like I overloaded myself! Thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.