Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Only Five Options For PM - Who Would You Pick? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It'd be tough out of Boris and Cameron, but I think I'd side with Boris

ReputationRep:
    Ed. I'm a Labour supporter so it's a no brainer.

As a Labour supporter I wouldn't have chosen Boris, Cameron or Nigel, naturally. As much as I like Theresa May, she does enough good now in her position, is she really leader material?

ReputationRep:
    Boris Johnson.

...then I'd put on some weight, kidnap Boris, die my hair blonde and take power myself. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Ed Miliband is simply a communist - so no.
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    Neither. Dr Vincent Cable
    Congratulations, this is the correct answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    Passing over the fact that the populace actually votes parties in, not individual ministers, let's consider the hypothetical.

You have five options, but only one choice.

Who will you pick from the following (and the only the following, not any extras not listed - this is hypothetical; i.e. "if you were forced to pick from these five, who would you pick and why"):

Spoiler:
    Show

1. David William Donald Cameron, incumbent Prime Minister of the United Kingdom,

2. Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson

3. Nigel Farage

4. Edward Samuel Miliband

5. Theresa Mary May

Pick only one option from only these options as your choice - do not ad-lib.

So, who will you choose?
    I don't like Farage much but he's the only one with the guts to take on the EU so he'd get my vote.

How about adding a poll though?

Edit: Actually... maybe Boris. I haven't researched his Euro-views enough. If he campaigned with a strong anti-EU message he would probably get my vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcarz)
    What has he lied about?
    Saying more than half the bulgarian population will defect here always springs to mind.

You accuse Farage of being a liar. Then you go on to support David Cameron, who gave a "cast-iron guarantee" he would offer a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty. He didn't. He said that he would not be backing gay marriage, 3 days before the last general election. He is now pushing for it. He has made so many u-turns on immigration, how can you possibly stand your argument and not be otherwise shown to be a hypocrite.

Cameron has made more U-turns that a London cab driver - you clearly know nothing about politics.
    Not a fan of DC at all, he is the worst of the terrible bunch. A very competent politician. I voted labour in last election btw and probably diagree with 99.9% of his policies. I also don't see u-turn as a terrible thing.

ReputationRep:
    Shall I hold you to your word, then? :holmes:
    Please do I got things set up in Asia and US already...So do other smart people

ReputationRep:
    Ed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theseeker)
    Please do I got things set up in Asia and US already...So do other smart people
    You shall be held accountable come 2015.

ReputationRep:
    You shall be held accountable come 2015.
    Thanks Gives me just enough time to leave then I don't think he'll win.

ReputationRep:
    Cameron, to be honest. I don't particularly like the man, but here are my reasons:

Firstly, Boris is a nice bloke, but being a nice bloke isn't sufficient to be a good politician. I don't really agree with very much of what he says about politics. He seems to essentially be a populist who rides on his strong reputation with the public. In short, not a good candidate for PM.

Farage is a eurosceptic and a nationalist, two political positions which I have no time for at all (although to go into detail on that here would take too long, the Orwell quotation in my signature and, more broadly, Orwell's entire essay on nationalism will shed some light on that if you're curious).

The Labour Party under Ed Miliband appears to me to be populist, nationalist, and edging towards social conservatism. This really isn't for me. Jon Cruddas and his "Blue Labour" ideas apparently influence Miliband a great deal, and the whole idea of Blue Labour is entirely contrary to my own political views, which are socially liberal and pro-market. In general I'm not a big fan of Labour, although I don't mind them. A more centrist Labour leader would be a more plausible consideration for me, and anyway Miliband would probably be my second choice of these five, but I certainly don't want him as Prime Minister. Another problem with Ed as PM would be that there is a real dearth of talent in the Labour Party at the moment, and I think he would have a weak Cabinet, unless he led some kind of Coalition. One advantage of Ed as PM would be that he is pro-EU.

Theresa May is really socially conservative and nationalist, too. I really dislike her. Not much more to say, really. I'm vehemently opposed to scrapping the Human Rights Act. People like her are the reason I will almost certainly never vote Conservative.

So Cameron seems really to be the only choice for those, like me, who are socially liberal, and relatively supportive of pro-market economics. He's fairly moderate socially and doesn't seem ideologically anti-European. He's also not that much of a nationalist.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.