Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any stummers/stutters here on tsr? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken Hulk)
    Yep, ive stammered since i was around 5-6 years old, im now 21. I have a 'block" stutter rather than one most people recognise, for example if i had to say the word "but" i wouldnt say b-b-b-but i would say b.................but.

I hate my stammer it has stopped me doing a lot of things in life and has really reduced my confidence. After some speech therapy though ive gotten more confident and desensitised to stammering. I want to go into a career as IT Support and with that job comes one of my biggest fears which is, talking on the phone.

Unlike most people when they say they stutter when they are nervous, i stutter when im not and im much worse when nervous. It hasnt stopped me from doing anything though, i still present in front of 40+ people when i need to and i order what i want at a restaurant rather than what i can say.

I didnt have no one to talk to about my stammer so if you want to talk about it then let me know.
    Have you heard of the McGuire program? Is it good because I saw it on BBC 3 and I wanna take part

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Lucifer)
    Have you heard of the McGuire program? Is it good because I saw it on BBC 3 and I wanna take part

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep heard of it, but dont think i can afford it (Heard prices range for 1k-3k) but maybe someday. Also stammering has to do a lot with just accepting that you stammer to increase your confidence, a member of my speech therapy group goes to something called toastmasters. Toastmasters is a public speaking help group for many people and there are groups for only stutterers to help improve their speaking skills. I might do that for sure at some point.

ReputationRep:
    As a student speech and language therapist, I would be interested in knowing what you guys think about stammering therapy, and why you have or haven't chosen to have it?

ReputationRep:
    I can't always say my "t" s and end up sounding ghetto but I can control it f I speak slowly and think it out otherwise my tongue gets jumbled!

ReputationRep:
    I've stammered for as long as I can remember really, these days it's more of a block rather than repeating syllables or words, I had a phase where I'd make awkward head movements to try and force words out. My classmates are all pretty understanding about it but it still doesn't stop my getting nervous. I used to see a speech therapist when I was younger but it didn't really have an impact, but I've been thinking about trying again to see how much of an effect it would have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhoenixFortune)
    As a student speech and language therapist, I would be interested in knowing what you guys think about stammering therapy, and why you have or haven't chosen to have it?
    At first i was hesitant in going for speech therapy, i'm happy i did go in the end. It wasnt what i expected, there was no cure found but i am very comfortable with my stammer than i used to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhoenixFortune)
    Most of the speech therapies are very expensive so for most people they end up just accepting to live with it. This condition is very dire .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I used to have a pretty bad stutter when I was little which was probably a contributing factor to my quietness. I was one of those kids that teachers used to tell off for not talking enough :lolwut: sometimes I could barely get through a sentence so I went to a speech therapist in primary school but my condition wasn't 'extreme' so they just advised that I 'sing' my words. (notice how people don't stutter when they sing?). But its not socially acceptable to sing everything, right?

Anyway, towards the end of secondary school I started to get a bit louder and began to step away from being the 'silent girl'. My stutter isn't as bad now but I still stutter often. I actually think it's increasing again. When I think I'm gonna stutter, I usually stop talking and just pause til I feel my tongue loosen up. Doesn't always work and sometimes I can hardly speak. Its still embarrassing sometimes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Lucifer)
    Most of the speech therapies are very expensive so for most people they end up just accepting to live with it. This condition is very dire .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you have therapy on the NHS, you don't normally have to pay anything.

ReputationRep:
    I recently did the McGuire program it changed my life. I would hight recommend that you join it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 24, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.